Anybody here on the Mars manifest?

Mallette

Didn't think so...

200,000 applied for this one way trip when it was announced and it's been pared down to 100.  Of course, the skeptics are having a field day but that's what nay sayers do best.  I'll wait to do that until it's proven impossible and as long as SpaceX is involved I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  IF they survive the trip and manage to become self-sufficient the "one way" part will certainly become optional within a couple of years. 

The trip to the new world was certainly one way in the 16th century and the odds of getting there and staying alive not good.  Frankly, I think these folks odds are a lot better and the technological obstacles not so high.

Mars One eventually aims to pick four astronauts for a Mars mission being targeted for 2023. Mars One, co-founded by Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp, aims to establish a permanent Mars colony, beginning with a four-person crew that would travel to the planet aboard a specialized Dragon spacecraft built by private space contractor SpaceX. 

That's 8 years, friends.  Here's to private initiative! 

Dave

• Like 1

I thought they knew what they were doing until I saw they were considering someone who is already 60 years old as well as someone who claims to be a martian himself.

https://community.mars-one.com/profile/3d55bbf4-3d96-4f72-adff-b82c6ac09af4

"Self Introduction

I am one of the first four Martians to arrive on your planet. After identifying the most developed species on Earth and learning how to interact with it, I am currently determining the following:

● Whether its members fight against or are peaceful towards each other and other species

● Whether they take care of their planet or drive themselves towards self-extermination

● Whether they have established any common aims, and if yes, what those aims are.

Interests

● Utilizing energy from: solar powered satellites, the centre of our galaxy, and antimatter-matter collisions

● Life extension and creating artificial life

● What you might call pictotechnology.

- See more at: https://community.mars-one.com/profile/3d55bbf4-3d96-4f72-adff-b82c6ac09af4#sthash.jNYussJe.dpuf"

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

"Poppycock!"  "Balderdash!"

Local nay sayers entirely predictable and some seem ready to believe anything except science and human will.  There are times when I wonder if most of the human race has lost the ability to survive or care about the future...which is NOT here. 

Don Richard, TRVTH.

No matter what the challenge, the future belongs to those who want to KNOW what is out there and are willing to take risks.

'

Dave

• Like 1

I was looking to understand the meaning of going to Mars vis a vis coming to the New World

The fact you don't see the precise correlation indicates no explanation is possible. 

Frankly, I'm surprised no one has posted the "Oh great, now we have a whole new place to ruin" line.  Standard response:  Why not?  We change our pants when they are worn out...and this one is certainly long beyond repair.

Dave

I can't see how the human race has lost the ability to survive. I can see how many people don't care about the future, depending on how "future" is described. Tomorrow is important. My life time is important. Eons from now - less important for obvious reasons. I can't see any substantive reasons why the future is not here.

Rolling answers to both responses into one.  Because science is clearly on my side here and you state a position that is antithetical to established science, response in a scientific manner is pointless.  The simple imperative that reproduction is critical to human survival, with the corollaries that human reproduction is no longer subject to natural control, and humans occupy a finite space with finite resources isn't apparent to you.  I find off world colonization stupidly simple compared to dealing with those issues.

And they are by no means the only ones.  One that is relatively minor, but nonetheless critical to continued technological advances and human survival as well:  Where do you propose we get the rare earths required for current and emerging technology?  Hope is NOT a methodology.

Dave

I've said absolutely nothing which is antithetical to established science. When a scientist says he won't explain, he means he can't explain and is hiding behind philosophical sophistry.

Contradiction in terms.  You've stated that earth can handle an infinitely expanding human population and has the resources to do so, or you are implying science has the answers to eliminating basic human drives like reproduction (and for some of us, exploration) and replacing resources whose end is already in sight.

But you've offered no evidence to support that.

I stated that than science mandates humans reproduce to survive, and that certain elements and resources are requirements for survival, and that both of these are limited on earth. 

Dave

OK help me out with this--- the colonizers of the New World knew where they were going had water and air probably, correct?

Though I presume that is a joke, I'll respond anyway.  Mars is rotten with both, easily accessible.  So is the moon, in the sense we know there are boatloads of water there and if you have water, you have air.  Hardly new technology.

Dave

All of them.  China supplies 97% of the world supply and is decreasing exports as its own industry grows.  There are other areas...total China share of deposits are 48% but those figures alone tell you that the horizon for exhaustion of terran supplies is in sight and the current rate of growth in demand is accelerating.

You may say "We'll innovate our way out of this..."

OK, but that is the hard way.  There is an infinite supply only a few hundred miles away.

And none of that explains how you intend to stop human reproduction and end the destruction of the remnant of the natural world that remains.  People look, but they don't see.  Our "home" is a strip mined and cut shadow of what it was, and no amount of good wishes will fix it.  If you have a plan, state it. 

Dave

The statement was implied that we can stay here indefinitely.  That is scientifically absurd unless you have evidence we won't be here very much longer or will shortly assume some other form.

1. You implied going to Mars was comparable to the exploration of the New World

You didn't state why it isn't.  It's a world, it's new. 

2. I said no it wasn't because the payoff is very different

You didn't state how it's different.  I see no difference.  New world, new homes.

3. You claimed I didn't understand the correlation between New World and Mars, and that meant no explanation was even possible.

Redundant to the above. 

4. I said BS to that. Science is in the business of explaining things and any failure to do so means there's nothing to explain.

That's would be an absurd statement to a real scientist.  We can't explain gravity, so there is nothing to explain?

5. You continued to insist it can't be explained, or that you are unwilling to explain it. And now you are adding claims I said things that are simply made up out of thin air.

No, I explained, and yes, your claims appear to come from thin air.   

I'd like to know what the scientific correlation is between Mars and the New World

Multiple redundancy.  However, I'll add another:  No Indians to steal it from. It's actually new. 

Dave 

Edited by Mallette

Ah yes, a very positive thought and inspiration to those who are actually making some kind of effort to repair....

Reality is harsh. 

The dreamers are those who believe in human expansion into space, it is those who believe we can stop, much less reverse, the devastation of this planet by banning plastic bags and building wind farms.  I support those things, but west Texas was destroyed long before plastic bags, as were most of the great forests and ecosystems of the south. 

Thought and inspiration won't fix those things. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

I thought I heard 24 people were beiong chosen overall. Did that include the astronauts?

Also, from a scientific point, from what I've read and seen they do predict that at some point in the future, if and when Mars does get colonized,at some point in time 100's of millions of years though, they can potentially make it like the earth is now. There will be a thicker atmosphere, water flowing , the planet will warm due to us "jump starting" things. The only issue will be an electomagnetic field.

As for our species and reproduction, scientists also estimate the male species will only be able to procreate the way we do for another 100,000 years due to our xy chromosomes losing their ability to "fix" themselves. It shows over the course of time a woman has become stronger in that sense and a man has grown weaker.