Next up, Lil Wrecker

CECAA850

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. Sounds like Lil Wrecker is getting a shot of steroids! The way I see it now, I can use it where I need it for HT and music, but it will be fun to see reaction of friends and family when I put a little juice to it. This thing is getting funner by the day!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking build, as usual. How does it sound?

it sounded fantastic for the short time I had it up and running. 

FUBAR alert!!!!!

I thought the driver was rated at 1500 watts RMS as I was running 1200 to it and thought I was safe.  Come to find out, it was a 500 RMS driver and I let the magic smoke out of it.  It was odd because it happened after 20 seconds and just with music so I may have had a marginal driver as well.  We'll either unbridge the amp and run one channel with the same driver or find something that will handle the higher wattage.  I'm doing some research today.

OK, this is where I left off.  I had a heck of a time finding a driver that would handle 1200 watts RMS @8 Ohms that had T/S parameters compatible with this box.  After close to a day of searching, I got Ficaraudio to build a Dual 4 Ohm "Q" driver.  It'll take 1500 watts RMS with no problems and I was guaranteed we'd have no problems relating to thermal issues.  Time to go beast mode on this box.

post-13087-0-64580000-1426438701_thumb.j

• Like 1

This would have been great if I could have just popped one driver out and popped the other one back in.  But NOOOOOOOOOOOO.  The first thing I checked was the bolt pattern.  I was holding my breath as I took measurements.  Hole to adjacent hole?  Check.  Hole to opposite hole????? Check!!.  I was dreading having to move the bolt anchors but seems I won't have to.  The problem was going to be the opening.  The hole for the Q was about a quarter inch larger than the alpine.  What to do??  Can't bust the box down, that's for sure.  It's never coming apart.  I decided to cut a template the size of the hole that I needed and screw it to the baffle.  I could then take a flush bit with my router and open it up.  Here's the template cut.

post-13087-0-46580000-1426439340_thumb.j

• Like 1

I had to fill the screw holes in the baffle (from the template) and will repaint the baffle once it's dry.  I have yard work to do and then bowling later tonight so I probably won't actually try it out till next weekend.  Stay tuned.........................................

Last picture for tonight.  My son took this one with me in it for reference.  I'm 6' tall.

Always interesting to put a face with the name. Now I know who to look out for. :)

There goes the element of surprise.  I've seen your picture in another thread and was hoping to get the drop on you.

• Like 1

That looks like the bottomless pit of bass :lol: The lil wrecker appears to be the shrine&epitome of/to the world of low frequency :o . That driver really sets it out from the any other, as if it needed help. Its a work of art. Should be illegal :D

The limitless bass machine :wub:

• Like 2