Next up, Lil Wrecker

CECAA850

It's definitely not going to Hope, at least not with me.  This sub does not belong to me at this point.  My only goal now is to get it safely to Ronnies.  Mark, if you really want to hear it, you'll be a short 5 or 6 hour drive away when you come to the gathering ;)

I was joking :D gosh :lol:

5-6hr drive thank you higher power! at least I aint the only one driving FAR :) we're at least double that here

Got it just before Adelaide was born, which was 3 years ago today.

Tell her happy belated from me.

I could look at the F-20 build thread and figure out how long ago it was but wondered how many subs I've built since then.  I'm thinking 7 or 8.

Got it just before Adelaide was born, which was 3 years ago today.

Tell her happy belated from me.

I could look at the F-20 build thread and figure out how long ago it was but wondered how many subs I've built since then.  I'm thinking 7 or 8.

Hey I just read your F-20 build thread and am inspired. I noticed you tested the sub with a 250 W plate amp. Could I use this amp to run the sub normally? I have a pretty small room and dont  need gobs of bass output, just clean and low. My SW-12 amp is getting worse and I figured I could get the $130 Dayton audio 250 W for it now as it puts out about 154 W RMS into 8 ohms and I will use an inline High pass filter at 30 hz so I dont kill it. Then when I get the time and money to actually do the build I can simply use the 250W amp on the f-20?

I wouldn't worry with the high pass filter either.

EDIT, you're talking about using the high pass filter on the SW-12 correct?  I meant to say you wouldn't need the high pass filter on the F-20.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

EDIT, you're talking about using the high pass filter on the SW-12 correct?  I meant to say you wouldn't need the high pass filter on the F-20.

That is correct, the sub range on the manual says 28 hz so I figured I would get one of these as an insurance policy for now:

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-30-hz-high-pass-rca--266-248

Thanks for all the advice btw

That is correct, the sub range on the manual says 28 hz so I figured I would get one of these as an insurance policy for now:

http://www.parts-express.com/harrison-labs-fmod-inline-crossover-pair-30-hz-high-pass-rca--266-248

Thanks for all the advice btw

How do they know what output impedance is driving this and to what input impedance? Maybe a little better than nothing but it only does exactly what is says it does at one specific output impedance into one specific input impedance.

You're talking about digital controls of which none of the amps referred to in this thread have.

I forgot about that, I am so use to using DSP and PEQ with the subs.  A mini DSP would go a long way in setting up the subs and provide some protection.  Carl, do you use plate amps in all your builds?

Carl, do you use plate amps in all your builds?

Most, not all.  On the horn builds, you can use a plate amp but you can't mount it to the box like you can a sealed or ported build.  You have to build an external box as the guts of the amp would be in one of the horn paths.

How do they know what output impedance is driving this and to what input impedance? Maybe a little better than nothing but it only does exactly what is says it does at one specific output impedance into one specific input impedance.

They don't, that's why I told him to save his money.

They don't, that's why I told him to save his money.

So at the end of the day just play it by ear and make sure its not making any bad noises? The SW-12 is an 8ohm driver and the amp is 150 w RMS while the new amp will be this:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

It says its 156w RMS into 8ohms which is pretty close. Will the balance of the passive radiator system keep the sub from going too low to damage it or is there a high pass built into the stock amp that I will need to replicate if using a normal plate amp?

EDIT:

It looks like the amp has a high pass of 20Hz from the website.

As it is now the current amp is far more likely to damage things by not throwing a clean wave at the driver so I dont have much to lose, specifically if I am planning on going DIY in the near future anyway. My receiver does not have any EQ and I dont have any inline DSP ability.

Edited by twk123

Last shot at my house.  It's currently in Ron's living room loafing along, trying not to overpower the RF7 II's.  It's crossed over at 60 Hz.  I ran it about 6-8 dB hot and we're barely using half the amp.  It's ridiculous how powerful this combo is.  I'm sure he'll be along any time now to give his impressions.

post-13087-0-48000000-1427572072_thumb.j

• Like 2

post-29959-0-33680000-1427588795_thumb.j

And here she is in her new home. I'm happy to say she is safe and sound and getting along with the RF7 ii just fine. It didnt take long to notice a difference either and I dont mean over powering bass. It blended perfectly. We popped in a movie and I noticed a difference right away. Then played some music on the Oppo via USB and the moment I played a song I was very familiar with, it was great. This sub has opened my mids and is exactly what I was missing and never had with my Sub 12. 

Thank you again Carl, it wouldve taken me all day to figure out how to hook it up and a lot of phone calls to you. I have never had a setup like this and thankful you took the time to teach me. I'm just so used to a sub with a plate amp and this one aint quite like that.  :D

It even passed the WAF factor.  :P

Edit: The pic is blurry, I had to resize it. Said file was too big on initial attempt.

Edited by mxr dad
  • Like 5