3' x 3' x 5' (45cuft) beast

mustang guy

Just messing around, and am looking at how much sub a guy could build if he had the space. The driver in question is the RE 18" XXX, which as many of you know is a real beast. Data-bass has a test sub they looked at with this driver, and it was the largest sub they ever tested. Assuming a port can be made that doesn't chuff, this driver in a 45cu ft enclosure will be -3db at less than 10hz, and will be capable of 118db at 11 hz without reaching excursion.

That seems pretty amazing to me, and it is not horn loaded. It might as well be because it would have to filled with bracing.

Comments?

Here are the winids's:

post-47699-0-09840000-1424463492_thumb.j

post-47699-0-20720000-1424463502_thumb.j

post-47699-0-20680000-1424463512_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

I did some plotting with this driver early last year, it really is a beast.

Also used a few other RE- Audio products in other builds, the quality is decent and would not hesitate recommending their products to others

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

I could literally work on the drivers in my sons 32 cu ft box by climbing in the port. I can't even imagine how big a 45 cu ft box would be.

I have a pair of the giant KPT-694 dual 18" cinema subs, and together they would be a bit under 42 cu ft if that tells you anything.

A big sub like that needs a big room. I think a pair of them in my shop would do fairly well. My shop is 50' x 100' total. The size 3' x 5' x 3' is 45 cu ft. If your room is medium sized that sub is way too big.

Edited by mustang guy

Just messing around, and am looking at how much sub a guy could build if he had the space. The driver in question is the RE 18" XXX, which as many of you know is a real beast. Data-bass has a test sub they looked at with this driver, and it was the largest sub they ever tested. Assuming a port can be made that doesn't chuff, this driver in a 45cu ft enclosure will be -3db at less than 10hz, and will be capable of 118db at 11 hz without reaching excursion.

That seems pretty amazing to me, and it is not horn loaded. It might as well be because it would have to filled with bracing.

Comments?

Here are the winids's:

Altec VOT really maxed out in  the 70's  as huge halls were the norm - by the mid eighties - they were gone , too big - too monstruous  - the biggest sub man ever built was the A4 - 

-the staff used to sit in the cab to feel the bass -it would rattle the fillings out of your teeth

image020.jpg

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 3

Comments?

Here are the winids's:

Reading posts from when you ran 684's in comparison I cannot imagine you would accept anything not horn loaded for extended low frequency. and understandable. I still feel it is a much better choice mixing horn low frequency with horn extended low freq. any type of direct ext low freq gets old imo. its just so force-able or harsh overall

I have heard re xxx12's and other v15's in cars and they are wonderful machines. The xxx15 is nearly equal to the 18 in capable numbers accordingly and possibly reach even lower. Take a look at numbers on the re site.

I wonder what usable power one of these can do in an enclosure like an 1802. Or in a simple folded horn design. likely not necessary but may prove invaluable usable ext low freeq

• Like 1

Comments?

Here are the winids's:

Altec VOT really maxed out in seventies as huge halls were the norm - by the mid eighties - they were gone , too big - too monstruous  - the biggest sub man ever built was the A4 - 

-the staff used to sit in the cab to feel the bass -it would rattle the fillings out your teeth

image020.jpg

The horn path looks too short to be any good for use as a subwoofer, may be a decent bass bin but the older Altec drivers i have heard ran out of steam rather quickly and we had quite a few on the block ( Dad had the Altec Valencia's )

The Qts is a bit high on the 15" & 18" versions to be used in a horn loaded applications. Better suited in direct radiating models IMHO.

I see. And it makes sense quite a bit in the case with this xxx15&18. Them are huge. Hopefully that calms that thought down a bit lol

A audio friend of mine who is in the Air Force has a pair of the RE XXX 18s...those things are monsters.

He has them mounted in a pair of enclosures, (ported bass reflex) one of the cabs in the image below. At the time the image was taken, the enclosures had a pair of Adire Audio Tumult 15s.

He moved away years ago, but he lived at his folks in a 14' X 70' trailer-house on the property at the time. The gear in the pic was in that trailer.

There was a audio bass monster meet one Sunday. I was invited...

He was more into car stereo, and was helping a guy that day with a Dodge Durango that had a wall behind the back seat with six (Tempest?) 15s. The wall, (or combination of wall/rear of vehicle, was port tuned to around 37Hz...it's been awhile. The Durango would burp a easy 150 decibels, sheet-metal flinging everywhere... 

These guys had a term-lab meter used for SPL car competitions that day, it only triggers at 120 decibels.

We go into the guys trailer-house, where the Tumults and the towers next to them were. Each Tumult had a Peavey 2500 watt amplifier powering it. Each of the enclosures are tuned to 16Hz.

Each Tumult sub cab was about 10-12 feet apart. We sat on the couch in front of them at about 10-11 feet back.

The term-lab meter sat in the listening position in center, on top of the couch. At about 12 feet.

They did burps with two frequencies, one at 20Hz, and the other at 25Hz. It's been about a decade, and I can't completely recall the exact SPL numbers, but I think it was 122 decibels in the listening position for 20Hz, and 124 decibels for 25Hz from the listening position. The burps where roughly 10 second shots or so, so it's a continuous thing...

25Hz at the port of one sub-woofer from a foot or so, gave 136 decibels.

He hit the play button with a 20Hz sine-wave, andf it felt like a force field. A feeling of heavier gravity... Everything in the place that wasn't bolted down, went to the floor. (stuff on walls, counters...)  One kid took a Parts Express flyer, tossed it toward a port of one Tumult. The port sucked in the flyer, and spit it back out into two pieces.

We stepped outside during a burp. The exterior sheetmetal behind the stereo was moving back and forth a good six to eight inches...flappin'...I specifically remember that.

If I recall, the image of the Tumult may be during one of those burps.

That was a fun day. It had no relevance to music, but it was fun nonetheless.

post-4542-0-90100000-1424656094_thumb.jp

Edited by mike stehr
  • Like 2

Comments?

Here are the winids's:

Altec VOT really maxed out in seventies as huge halls were the norm - by the mid eighties - they were gone , too big - too monstruous  - the biggest sub man ever built was the A4 - 

-the staff used to sit in the cab to feel the bass -it would rattle the fillings out your teeth

image020.jpg

The horn path looks too short to be any good for use as a subwoofer, may be a decent bass bin but the older Altec drivers i have heard ran out of steam rather quickly and we had quite a few on the block ( Dad had the Altec Valencia's )

You are correct, they are bass bins. Good down to 40Hz, which is pretty amazing!

BTW Randy, the A4 had a big brother. The A1.  Almost 3 times the weight!

I only know all this cause I googled it and found the original sales thing. Here is a link:  http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vintage_altec/VOTT%20Catalogue%201983_saleslit_ALL.pdf