KP-250 II – worth it?

louie433

Hi, folks.  I'm new to this forum, not new to Klipsch.  Fell in love in the early 1980's when I heard some Cornwalls and Heresys.  Currently using Quartets and an SW-10 as part of my main setup.

I'm looking for some advice:  I have an opportunity to buy a pair of KP-250 II's for somewhere between $100 and $200, and I'm trying to decide if they're worth the price and the drive to get them (about 2 hours each way).  The thing is, I don't really "need" them, so the question is whether this is just too good of a deal to pass up.

I haven't seen them in person yet.  I've been told one of them needs a new tweeter diaphragm, which, fortunately, I have on hand. 

I'm not expecting much from the cabinets.  They're plywood, but painted grey, probably by hand.  (Ick!)  I'd prefer the all-black version with inset handles and corner pads, but what can you do.  Maybe I can refinish them.

Second question:  The KP-250 is ported, apparently so it can handle more power than, say, the KP-201 at the cost of sacrificing 10 Hz or so of frequency response.  Maybe it's heresy (har, har!) to ask this, but what would happen if I blocked the ports?

Cheers!

• Like 1

really you have to ask if a working pair of KP250 ll are worth between $150 and $200.00? Buy them do what ever you like to them and learn for yourself. If you have to ask more questions than that it is just a waste of time. Driving cost is about $10.00 an hour or so, that still makes these a good deal. Remember these have all titanium diaphragms. Go get them and welcome aboard. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

"Need" is a banned word on this forum.... :P   Only "Want", "Desire", "Lust after", etc are acceptable terms.....Between 100-200?  Yep.  Start the car.....Don't tell anyone here where you live though.....Have fun with your new project.  Oh, by the way...before and after photos are required...otherwise your forum probation period may lapse into years....

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 3

Get 'm, get 'em get 'em.  If not, post where they are and we'll fight amongst ourselves over them.

Welcome to the forum!

(I have an opportunity to buy a pair of KP-250 II's for somewhere between $100 and $200,)   at that price , there is bound to be something wrong -but that is expected - so be careful either way and get back to us with pictures -

and I bought a pair of Heresy's for $25....what does that have to do with the posters question?  

It has to do with Randy's quote about being something wrong with them because the price was low.  My point was, just because the price is cheap doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the speakers.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2015 at 6:41 PM, CECAA850 said:

On 2/21/2015 at 6:25 PM, jimjimbo said:

and I bought a pair of Heresy's for $25....what does that have to do with the posters question?  

It has to do with Randy's quote about being something wrong with them because the price was low.  My point was, just because the price is cheap doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the speakers.

right on , just like a guy last year , who won this huge lottery - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/02/california-lottery-official-sole-winner-425m-february-powerball-jackpot-comes/

right on , just like a guy last year , who won this huge lottery - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/02/california-lottery-official-sole-winner-425m-february-powerball-jackpot-comes/

Oh yea, that was me.

Oh yea, that was me.

so what happened - did you buy them - if you did , send us some pictures