Vintage Klipsch Speaker Hierarchy

K5SS

I know this has probably been addressed a few times here as i am not that original.

I am wondering if there is a list of Klipsch speakers that orders their quality?

I know this list is hugely subjective but if we tried to keep is more of a guide, it could actually be pretty helpful for noobs like me to choose.

Example:

I am currently looking on CL and there are Forte's, Cornwall's and Hersey's all listed for roughly the same price.

I think some type of list would be pretty helpful. Just an idea, i know ny idea is probably flawed..

• Like 2

OK, I'll bite....as usual.  And you are correct, hugely subjective....source material, source equipment, amps, preamps, SS or tubes, room size, room treatment, room layout, 2 channel or (whatever) channel HT, subs/no subs, whether you are planning to make a Mars journey soon.........  What I would like to have, or have already acquired based on those factors could be far, far different than you or anyone else....If  you have any chance (and I'm sure that will be difficult) try to listen to all three, or find someone in your local area that has some or one of each to audition.  That's the only way for you to decide what is good and right for you.

I guarantee one thing....you will get many, many different opinions about this....and why?  Because of the above...

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 2

I have to agree with jimbo, just too many variables for blanket statements. All are great speakers and have their place. Room size, whether you plan on using a sub and how loud you listen generally play a big role in speaker selection for me. A smallish room with a sub up to medium volumes, Heresy's would be perfect. No sub same room, Forte or Cornwall would both be great choices with the Forte being my preference. Forte's have rear passives though which limit placement a bit.

After years of trial and error I have concluded that the Chorus II is my favorite larger speaker. The Forte II is really close and possibly better in certain situations.

• Like 2

The Chorus II's are an amazing speaker in so many ways. I use to joke around about being able to power mine with a clock radio. They really do sound "full" with tight bass, even with >1 watt. On the other end you can pour 600+ watts into them and they just belt out the notes with extreme clarity and impact. Their only real fault is that they sound just like whatever you put into them, garbage in - garbage out kind of deal.

I have heard the Heresey, Corwall, LaScala, Forte II and Forte.  They all are great speakers and It is mainly the amount of bass produce by the various speakers.  Picked based on your room and the best footprint.  I just picked up a pair of Forte w new Crites XO.  These are some nice sounding speakers and the right size for me. :)

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 2/20/2015 at 9:16 PM, jjptkd said:

I have to agree with jimbo, just too many variables for blanket statements. All are great speakers and have their place. Room size, whether you plan on using a sub and how loud you listen generally play a big role in speaker selection for me. A smallish room with a sub up to medium volumes, Heresy's would be perfect. No sub same room, Forte or Cornwall would both be great choices with the Forte being my preference. Forte's have rear passives though which limit placement a bit.

After years of trial and error I have concluded that the Chorus II is my favorite larger speaker. The Forte II is really close and possibly better in certain situations.

Agreed...if I had the room, I would try Fortes or KG4....but  KG3 with my quality vintage Sansui amp good enough for me

• Like 1

It depends on the listener's room. If you have a room like mine KHorns aren't appropriate. For MANY, MANY people, a Forte or Cornwall will be the superlative choice, albeit while a Klipschorn is the best expression of what Heritage could be over the years of the Heritage line existing.

For most, it's the Forte/Chorus/Cornwall that's "most right" because they will be "most right" in the rooms they end up in. If you are shopping for vintage speakers "the best" will be. first and foremost, what will be "best" in YOUR ROOM.

• Like 2