Thank you for your service.

DizRotus

My father served in WW II; my son served in Afghanistan.  Despite a draft number of 66, I fell through a crack and was not sent to Vietnam.  How do we sincerely express gratitude to those who served?  I'd like to hear from vets.  The article linked below shows that the answers are not universal or easy.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/please-don%E2%80%99t-thank-me-for-my-service/ar-BBhPFEn

IMO, no matter what your political feelings, or whatever your position is regarding the policies of those who have the responsibility of deciding to send US troops into harm's way, we should show the men and women who served that we are grateful.

I donate to Wounded Warrior Project because I'm grateful that my son returned safe and sound.  I ache for those who did not, as well for as their loved ones.  Naturally, every expression of gratitude to a veteran cannot be prefaced with the foregoing, but how to avoid the shallow mechanical thank you described by Hunter Garth?

PLEASE, PLEASE do not sink to policy discussions.  If you don't want a better understanding of how to express sincere gratitude to those who served our country, please start your own thread.  

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 3

The article mentions voting and otherwise being worthy of being the beneficiary of the soldier's sacrifice, which is all good, but it doesn't answer the question raised in the article. Should we reflexively thank those who served when we learn of their service? If we do, how to best do so?

Do most vets like to be thanked by strangers for their service?

• Like 1

Here is the email received from my son regarding the article.

"I would agree, its a catch all phrase that fails to catch all. It's why all the stolen valor guys are always found in public places (malls, airports, etc.) because part of their psychosis that drives them in their fantasy is to have people thank them for their fictitious service. But when dealing with legitimate vets its a phrase that rings hollow, because every vet knows another vet who did more. I'm the first to admit that my own experience was an absolute cake walk compared to the experiences of others I know (and don't know.) So to have someone thank me almost lays a guilt trip, and I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. At the very least it's incredibly awkward, because there is no appropriate response, you can't say you're welcome without coming off conceited, and to say thank you in return is awkward (but probably the best response, and one most commonly used)."

I'm coming to the conclusion that public expressions to strangers from strangers are ill-advised.  

Guest Steven1963
Do most vets like to be thanked by strangers for their service?

I actually appreciate it when someone I don't know thanks me for my service.  What is the most warming is on Veterans day I get a hug from my wife as she thanks me for my service.   But I also didn't 'sacrifice' as thousands of others did by losing limbs or any of the multitude of service related psychosis as I didn't serve during any war.

But I saw how hard the military can especially for wives and kids.  They bear a huge burden during deployments and from also being uprooted every couple of years to move to another, completely foreign, part of the world.  Trust me, being stuck in traffic in your nine-to-five job and worrying about who wins Dancing with the Stars pales in comparison with what these people have to face.  We shouldn't forgot them either.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 3

I served as well and it was peace time also. I don't get thanks and frankly don't want nor expect them. I have an honorable discharge. I felt like I excelled in the service and after a couple years active I started to take service seriously & spent the next 3 years trying to move up, The Army was going through some changes at the time getting more PC and it seemed it was more who you are and who you know than how good you were at your job (62E Heavy Equip Operator main, 12B combat engineer secondary) with that in mind and a wife and 2 kids I decided it was time for me to exit with 5 years in

The best thanks would be for the government to honor all the promises they make when they recruit you.

• Like 4

The best thanks would be for the government to honor all the promises they make when they recruit you.

^ THIS

Current powers make this unlikely

So, what does this mean?  Who is it that you are referring to as "the government"?  Your recruiter?  And promises?  What promises?  That you will get a specific type of training when you leave boot camp?  Or something else?  Every enlistee signs a contract.  Military needs and world situations change on a daily basis.  That is also in the contract, in not so many words....

Now, having said that...if you don't vote, you are basically saying "Screw You", or something similar, to all of the brave men and women who have and will serve in our armed forces.  IMO, if there is one, single basic thing that they are serving to defend, it is that right to vote.  I did serve, for quite a long time, and during several conflicts, and I do not expect anyone to verbally say Thank You.  I do expect people to exercise their right to vote.

^ THIS

So, what does this mean?  Who is it that you are referring to as "the government"?  Your recruiter?  And promises?  What promises?  That you will get a specific type of training when you leave boot camp?  Or something else?  Every enlistee signs a contract.  Military needs and world situations change on a daily basis.  That is also in the contract, in not so many words....

Now, having said that...if you don't vote, you are basically saying "Screw You", or something similar, to all of the brave men and women who have and will serve in our armed forces.  IMO, if there is one, single basic thing that they are serving to defend, it is that right to vote.  I did serve, for quite a long time, and during several conflicts, and I do not expect anyone to verbally say Thank You.  I do expect people to exercise their right to vote.

Coming off a little confrontational there Jim.............................So I will state a couple that come to mind for me and some family

I lost my GI bill because they changed there rules after my service, Loss of health coverage,While at my last duty (Camp Eschborne Germany) The Sgt Major assembled all NCO's (as I was a squad leader and promotable E-4p, with PLDC completed I also attended) We were informed that the military did not want us to retire and was looking for anything they could to stop retirement. I watched servicemen with 17 years get the ax over weight  Need some more or do you get my meaning now, What exactly makes you think I don't Vote ??

Thank You for you long term service, It was not for me to continue as I have no stomach for the politically correct affirmative action promotions VS the deserved promotions, I make no assertion that my experience is anything but that it is MY EXPERIENCE in the army from Mar. 1984 to Mar. 1989...........

• Like 1

^ THIS

I am talking about the medical and other retirement (pay and allowances) that were in effect when I enlisted in '73 and retired in '96 THAT is being reduced!

As someone who served as a military recruiter I will say this: I never lied to nor misled anyone who was interested in joining BUT I could never convey all that happened in my years of service in a few hours of conversation with an applicant.

When I joined it was a different world than when I served as a recruiter. In my recruiting days the recruiter (I) did not have any say what so ever in what was "promised" (contractually agreed to) to the applicant. I simply screened for physical, moral and mental appitude by filling out the forms. What the applicant said to the military entrance personnel and how the applicant scored on the ASVAB was beyond my control and I had no input.

I can not even guess how many folk told me one story and then changed it at MEPS but I do know that it pissed me off when the story changed after all the time and effort I put in to their application and they had the balls to blame the military or me.

If any one here thinks that our country is right by taking away the benefits promised please speak up and make that plain as I personally want to know who you are. Come on big boy living behind your keyboard, bring it on.

Edited by USNRET

If you have a little time or the inclination, some of the vets using services at an actual VA hospital or home facility always welcome visitors, especially visitors with tasty food treats. My wife works on a spinal rehab floor, and the popcorn and cake/desserts folks are most appreciated. Just clear any visit and activity beforehand, and your efforts would be very, very appreciated! :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Like 2