Speakerlab K-horn project.

supertank

Bass bins done. About to order new crossovers from ALK. Bought new Tweets one was dead. 

Core purchase 100.00

materials..........151.00

Tweets.............100.00

crossovers.......330.00

Still way ahead on cost/value. And having fun too!

post-60872-0-38100000-1425240176_thumb.j

Edited by supertank

Oh would believe that. Ducati is known for real good documentation process. 

So I have a set of Altec 811'b that I want to use on my EV drivers. I will machine a adaptor plate for bolting transition, however the 811'b is shorter then the EV fiberglas horn. Is there any REAL noticeable draw backs?

The 811 horns are 800 Hz, while the original fiberglass horn is either 400 or 500 Hz. If you have a set of 511 horns, you could use them without changing the crossovers.

The unfortunate part is that the K-horn type bass bin does not go up to 800hz so the 811b horn will likely crossover too high.  There will be a large dip in the response between where the bass bin starts to droop and the 811b starts to pick up.  You are better off with a 400 or 500hz horn.  Do some searching on the subject.  Here is one article on a filter showing the response of the bass bin.  http://www.northreadingeng.com/Klipschorn_notch/Notch_Filter.html

John Warren can probably explain some merits. 

Thanks Dave. Nice thing about owning a restoration shop. I have a paint booth! Saturday I am going to spray a special shellac over all the wood. I am shooting 10 coats.

Rick- I have a real love for Jensens. I have owned four TR6, two MGA's and a plethora of other British cars.

I wish I could tell you it was a bunch of top shelf stuff but it is not. The original EV -mid's mounted to a pair of Altec 511B's. EV- ST350B's tweets and original EV 4 Ohm Bass buried in that bin. HOWEVER, I have a super duper custom set of crossovers being sent Monday. Found a retired sound engineer for Braun/ADS and he makes very well designed crossovers for special situations. He had a set that he made for a build like mine that he never used and another set he is making with other designed features that he thought about after the fact. He incorporated some ( as he called it) 3D aggressive slopes to tie all the freq.'s together clean. He is sending me both sets and I am trying both but keeping one set and sending the other set back. Price is always a concern. So when he said 350.00 for either pair, I said SOLD! And he even said, if I don't like either set he would pay to ship them back! No brainer. So... I guess we will see. Also I have all the original parts to revert if I don't like it.

I wish I could tell you it was a bunch of top shelf stuff but it is not. The original EV -mid's mounted to a pair of Altec 511B's. EV- ST350B's tweets and original EV 4 Ohm Bass buried in that bin. HOWEVER, I have a super duper custom set of crossovers being sent Monday. Found a retired sound engineer for Braun/ADS and he makes very well designed crossovers for special situations. He had a set that he made for a build like mine that he never used and another set he is making with other designed features that he thought about after the fact. He incorporated some ( as he called it) 3D aggressive slopes to tie all the freq.'s together clean. He is sending me both sets and I am trying both but keeping one set and sending the other set back. Price is always a concern. So when he said 350.00 for either pair, I said SOLD! And he even said, if I don't like either set he would pay to ship them back! No brainer. So... I guess we will see. Also I have all the original parts to revert if I don't like it.

Still way better than average parts.

What was the logic on switching out the horns, faster dispersion??

• 4 years later...

@audiofan There's not really going to be much of a "play by play" build, I wouldn't imagine.  I think there were some pics on this site at one time but they may not be around anymore if they were done with Photobucket.  Do some extensive google searching and just read over the plans with a fine tooth comb.  I know I've read various articles through the years about building a set, which I've considered, but I built Belle clones instead.  Are you just wanting a Klipschorn look or do you have all the parts already for the build?  Build a pair of Jubilee bass bins and come up with a different HF section for them.  The cabinets are much easier to build and less oddball angles not to mention you don't have to put them directly in the corners.

Are you good with wood working and have the tools already?