Title change: Banking and Finance - how they drive the world.

Guest Steven1963

Right. That's why they call new money a "stimulus."

The opposite effect of the asset bubble is deflation. And that can only lead to depression.

But the only problem is that it still depends on whose glasses you are wearing as to whether there is too much debt.

The lenders certainly thought it was too much when they realized that their borrowers were going to default unless the lenders kept loaning more and more, which naturally would make the level of default even worse.  

From their eyes, it was too much.  From the eyes of the consuming public, it was still not enough.  When it changed from the lenders' money to the government's money, even the lenders had to consider it a "stimulus."  It just depends on who wins/loses as to whether there is too much or too little debt.

Guest Steven1963

I have waited for three pages to make this observation. This is certainly a political post unless you define "political" in the most narrow sense (i.e., Dems vs. Republicans). While I have no issue with the discussion, and have enjoyed it, the heading just makes me smile every time I see it. Just because I say a goat is an elephant, does not make it so.

War can be political, but war is also very personal. When I started this post I did so with the intention of getting a conversation going about how the flow and ebb of events in the world affect us all.  I made it clear that I didn't want to steer into certain areas that would get the thread locked. And look, we went quickly from war (very quickly) into what the root causes were (banking) and then logically into finance.  Who knows where it will lead next!  The point being, War does have personal affects on everybody, and they are willing to talk about them in a civil manner. 

Did I title it wrong?  Maybe.  But it certainly got peoples attention.

We all know what the practical definition of "political" is for purposes of moderation of this forum. A thread is "political" when people start whining, name-calling and getting sarcastic and personal with each other.

So a thread about cables becomes political" if "people start whining, name-calling and getting sarcastic and personal with each other" about the relative worth of various cables? Once again, my post only deals with the failure to recognize that the thread is political, not whether it should be curtailed, locked or otherwise diverted.

We all know what the practical definition of "political" is for purposes of moderation of this forum. A thread is "political" when people start whining, name-calling and getting sarcastic and personal with each other.

So a thread about cables becomes political" if "people start whining, name-calling and getting sarcastic and personal with each other" about the relative worth of various cables? Once again, my post only deals with the failure to recognize that the thread is political, not whether it should be curtailed, locked or otherwise diverted.

You might be wondering why it is that political threads get locked.  Consider it might not have to do with the subject, but rather, it has to do with the way people behave.  Everything is tolerated until the infants start posting.

P.S. I'm not referring to you as an infant.  (I think it's obvious, but gotta be careful, you know.)

Edited by Jeff Matthews

You might be wondering why it is that political threads get locked.  Consider it might not have to do with the subject, but rather, it has to do with the way people behave.  Everything is tolerated until the infants start posting.

P.S. I'm not referring to you as an infant.  (I think it's obvious, but gotta be careful, you know.)

Jeff.

Not trying to be obstreperous, just commenting on the clear language of the Forum policy:

Please keep it civil. NOTE: Topics covering sensitive issues such as race, religion, or politics have no place here and will be locked by moderators moving forward as of 2/20/15.

I have no issue with this thread. I am merely commenting on the fact that this is a political thread. Perhaps, the policy is misstated or we do not care to enforce it as written. I really don't care. Just musing as to the title.

• Like 1

In the history of this forum, here is what I think is meant by "political."

"Obama is a jerk.

Bush was a jackarse.

You are a dope for being liberal.

You are a jerk for being conservative. "

And so on, and so on.

Are you going to believe me or your lying eyes (politics have no place here )?

Please keep it civil. NOTE: Topics covering sensitive issues such as race, religion, or politics have no place here and will be locked by moderators moving forward as of 2/20/15.

"Obama is a jerk.

Bush was a jackarse.

And so on, and so on.

So, since you are dead-set on arguing about this, are you going to prove your point by getting it locked?

• Like 1

"Obama is a jerk.

Bush was a jackarse.

And so on, and so on.

So, since you are dead-set on arguing about this, are you going to prove your point by getting it locked?

AND ONCE AGAIN...I JUST DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE SUBSTANCE OF THE THREAD, NOR AM I ATTEMPTING TO STIFFLE DISCUSSION.  I just thought the title of the thread was inaccurate.

Nor have I been whining, name-calling and getting sarcastic and personal with each other. So why lock the thread?

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

Nor have I been whining, name-calling and getting sarcastic and personal with each other. So why lock the thread?

Indeed.  No reason you can't speak your mind. If it gets to the point of some feeling you are thread crapping, it will be self-moderating as that isn't appreciated much by the folks and doesn't need moderator help. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

Well Steven, good try.

Mark

Please, explain why that was a "good try." Instead of dealing with the issue I raise, which is the clear, unambiguous language of the policy, you reinterpret that clear unambiguous wording. As I said, this is not about the contents of the thread. It is merely about the inaccuracy of the title.

NEW POLICY:  No discussion about audio equipment.

NEW THREAD: NOW A DISCUSSION ABOUT KRELL PREAMPS - THIS IS NOT ABOUT AUDIO EQUIPMENT

This is the same logical fallacy. My point is simply that if we are going to allow discussion about politics IF IT IS KEPT CIVIL, then great. Let's just say so. Otherwise, there will be a moderator based restriction without guidance for those of you who wish to raise such issues.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

There isn't anything this thread contains that could be considered political. It appears the title is rattling a few cages.  Since I started the thread, I've changed the title.  This should quell any riots and meet the rules of the forum.

Frankly, the complaints are unbelievable, considering the original title made it explicitly clear we were not going to be taking this in a political direction, and now that the title has changed, the whole thread becomes politically benign.

Never judge a book by its cover.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled DE-programming.

Edited by Steven1963

Frankly, the complaints are unbelievable, considering the original title made it explicitly clear we were not going to be taking this in a political direction, and now that the title has changed, the whole thread becomes politically benign

1. I was not "complaining." Rather I was pointing out the obvious. It is political.

2. From the Oxford Dictionary: Political - "Of or relating to the government or the public affairs of a country." Certainly discussions about War, Banking, etc., meet this definition. There is a whole field of academic study called "Political Economy."

As I said to you in my PM, this isn't about an effort to end this thread, my feathers being ruffled, or thinking the topic is inappropriate. It is merely an attempt to refine the Forum policy so that we can ALL place such topics in the Lounge after understanding where the line is being drawn. If it is simply about civility, great. Let's say so.

Let's not take a personal approach to my desire to clarify the policy.

Thanks

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963

Ugh.  Now we can't talk about banking.  I suppose mass transit is off the table also, since they are wholly run by government entities.

No more talking your son to the park.  Off limits.  Parks are run by local governments and that is a political entity.

Topics regarding Klipsch speakers just became off-limits.  Klipsch is completely regulated by a government entity. 

Just exactly how far are we gonna take this?

Edited by Steven1963

I have read several of these replies on this topic...... I am not going to take sides or judge anyone here. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I am also not going to try and make myself sound like some sort of uber "know-it-all" when it comes to stuff like this. I like to raise my family, play guitar, drink beer and listen to metal music. I don't pretend to know much about modern war other than lots of people get killed in it, so from my perspective, it is bad.

Having said that, there is a time when a powerful nation has to step in a situation like this and make a real sacrifice. Is this the time to do this ? I don't know, and neither does anyone else in the general public because we are simply fed a bunch of stuff from the media that isn't 100% accurate, nor really complete. That doesn't make anyone's pro or con opinion on this invalid mind you, but the decisions that our President, Senate and Congress are taking on this weigh on their minds enormously !!    

If YOU were the POTUS, and ordered war on a country, or even just a mission where soldiers had a chance to lose their lives....... that is such a terrible burden to have to deal with. That is what our President deals with on a daily basis. It is also what our senate and Congress deal with everyday as well. I thought my job was tough.... These decisions are not taken lightly from anyone in these ranks, whether you like them or not. These Congressmen, Senators and Presidents have all been elected because they were considered the best from their party at leading the country to the best it can be.

Bryant