Anyone with experience with a Mcintosh MC 275?

jimjimbo

A friend is looking at purchasing one of these and is looking for impressions, pros and cons.  I think it's the newest model, version 4?  Beautiful units, another Mc work of art so to speak.  Do these units almost demand a tube preamp to go along with them, or are they compatible with SS preamps?  I've never had a Mc, so I don't know.  Any input would be great.  thanks.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=amplifiers&ProductId=MC275B

A friend of mine purchasde such an amp a while ago (Version 4?) and I was able to listen to it for a weekend on Khorns with either a Transcendent GG or a rebuilt McIntosh MX110. I reminded me very much of those "old" big block engines.......smooth and ample power whenever it was needed - and really nice and quiet. I am pretty sure from looing inside the amp that there is room for modding (if one is so inclined) but even in stock form it's a nice amp (sonically -  the looks are one of a kind, anyway!). Of course it is a different beast than the 275 of old (even in terms of circuit) and some people suggest that the original amp (properly restored!) does play in a different league altogether. Hope that helps a bit.

Wolfram

Edited by dubai2000

I only heard 275 once. I took BBC LS3/5A I built to my friend place. that Altec M19 is a clone speaker and you can see the 275 and that little bookshelf beside it. the sound was dynamic, clear and detailed. it could handle the ~84db efficient speakers at ease. all in all I liked it.

post-41711-0-13700000-1424621920_thumb.j

A friend is looking at purchasing one of these and is looking for impressions, pros and cons.  I think it's the newest model, version 4?  Beautiful units, another Mc work of art so to speak.  Do these units almost demand a tube preamp to go along with them, or are they compatible with SS preamps?  I've never had a Mc, so I don't know.  Any input would be great.  thanks.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=amplifiers&ProductId=MC275B

They are very sweet IMHO.  Listened to them on an excellent Khorn setup and they gave the corner horns all they wanted.  Then in a big 4-way system... 

...and they become a beast when bridged....

tc

I have the latest version (VI) and drive it with a McIntosh tube preamp. It is a fantastic combination. I ran Palladium P39's, LaScalas and now Cornwall 1's all with outstanding results. You can get 2 and bridge each one and have plenty of power (a bit more than 150 watts on the version VI). I believe that is a very very nice match for many models of Klipsch speakers.