Audio Reviews

eth2

I am so tired of audio reviewers acting like lap dogs for manufacturers. I have spent many hours reading reviews before I bought audio equipment. At first I thought I was incredibly lucky that my " instincts" were so good. The reviewers seemed to always confirm my uninformed opinions as to the "best bang for the buck," "incredible tonality," "wonderful soundstage and headroom" of everything I wanted to buy. Imagine my surprise when I began to realize EVERYTHING they review has these same characteristics!

There ought to be a law!!!

Edited by eth2
  • Like 5

Forget the magazines, all you have to do is completely and totally depend on the all-seeing, all-knowing members of this forum.  Just ask and you shall receive unfettered, neutral information on any audio product currently available or that has been available for the last century.  Why go anywhere else?  I mean, really....

• Like 3

It reminds me of a fellow in college who reviewed new music for a college magazine.  The magazine had a title which did not show it was just a publication from a college.

Some people observed that he always praised the music and as a result record companies were always sending him their new releases.  His comments found their way into advertisements. 

I think he was not a lapdog for the music companies exactly.  But good reviews would get him into the industry and bad reviews would only make enemies.

WMcD

I had a suitemate in college who reviewed jazz for Downbeat and a few other jazz publications. He received more records than the local record store in town. Since I knew nothing about jazz back then, and cared even less, I never read his reviews. But perhaps now I know his secret. (By the way, he went into advertising after graduation).

If you can review equipment occupationally and you leave bad comments such as "dull and compromising" manufacturers will avoid letting you review their equipment.

If it be free lp's, shirts or money added to the ability to review equipment you will learn fast to leave "best bang for buck" on reviews. Which I believe "best bang for buck" means its sucks or the reviewer is dull and compromising. It no doubt means it is compromising

The one and only way to know what works for you is to hear it. Measuring has benefits and makes it an easy starting point

• Like 1

EVERYONE  should read the article Dave attached to his post. It is incredible. It also sheds light on the "cable debate." audiopress.pdf   372.96KB

The magazines have never compromised their "total package of protection" for the cable companies. That's why there exists today a "reference speaker cable", with "rave reviews", from a very well known "manufacturer", which retails at $ 9,500 for an 8' pair, while his own cost is less than $ 100 from the real cable manufacturer, and he can still "sleep like a baby". (Yes, under $ 100 dollars, including terminations!)

YIKES!!!!

No need to run from the mags.  Once armed with the truth you can filter and actually learn from them.  I always let them expire and never spend more than 10 bucks or so a years once they get desperate to have me back...and I enjoy it.  Especially the pure BS. 

BTW, that article can also be extrapolated to cover the news media.  They operate pretty much on the same "principles." 

I started to respond to your concern about the complexities of cartridge setup.  I wouldn't debate those who go to extremes in that area, nor deny the potential sonic benefits.  But for the first couple of decades I eyeballed my setups without so much as a protractor and was happy as a clam.  I expend a bit more effort on it now but my ears remain the main instrument of audio truth. 

Regardless of how much money and time you throw at a system your ears remain the only critical measurement.  If it sounds good, it is good.  EOS. 

Dave