La Scala purchase questions

gfong

Thinking of purchasing a pr of 1979 La Scalas with sequential serial numbers. Was told they had original parts. Finished in black with a small flaw that looks like the veneer on either side where it butts up against the top has separated approximately 3 inches on one speaker. If it was on the bottom I would have said it looked water damage. Looks purely cosmetic. With original parts how can I tell if electrical parts require replaced when listening to them or is it that they will work and then if pushed to much they will get fatigued and possibly quit. I'm new at auditioning 30 year old speakers so what should I be listening for other than good sound. How do you know when your speakers need new caps or other parts replaced or refreshed if the speaker works? I'm just hesitant because of the age and I am not handy with electronics. Price is approximately $875.00 US. Thanks for reading, hope I can contribute in the future.

post-60863-0-60380000-1424636575_thumb.j

Edited by gfong

Can you just glue it back together? Veneer separation is not that uncommon and can result from water (e.g., a glass of water being spilled, high humidity, etc), a blow to the veneer, or any number of other causes. A three inch separation (if you mean three inches horizontally and not to long vertically), if the veneer is still in tact, does not sound like a deal breaker to me @ $950.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

more pictures can help us - first you must listen to the speakers and see if they suit you - depending on how old you are - you will either like them or hate them -since you have to do the repairs  - the seller must account for this -all in all a 250$ rebate is in order to repair the cabs and upgrade the crossovers -

-Scalas are for classical - jazz , , dance music is not their mission -

-1979 Scala is the AA crossover , about 100$ to upgrade - not including labour  - capacitors last 20 years on average -the rest of the compoents - can still be ok -but you would have to check them with an ohmmeter -

- the woofer is a k33 - 4ohms - the midrange K55V 16ohms - the tweeter K77 Alnico -round diaphragm -8ohms - for 1000$ US or 1200$ CAN $ -you should expect a pair in good cosmetic shape and in working order -

• Like 1

Look at the cabinets the way you would look at an auto body.

I wouldn't buy if substantial damage unless you are a woodworker.

Listen to some music you know on them that will exercise the full sonic range and listen for problems

It's time to replace the caps, you can remove the crossovers and mail them to Crites and they will recap and test for you. Photograph them with the wires before you remove them and label the wires so you can reassemble.

When you get them home, buy some smoked glass tops for them, there is no keeping lamps and beer cans off them, they are like magnets.

Crites sells the fabric for the fronts, if you want a more finished look. A local cabinet maker or upholsterer should be able to make and attach partial or full front cloth for you, black on black could be a cool look. The grills are usually removable, Parts Express sells the hardware. This may require building up the front with solid piece of wood attached to the cabinet all the way around so there is something to sink the fasteners to, direct into the plywood sounds like a bad idea....

• Like 1

welcome to the forum gfong

first thing you have to do is to make sure all 3 drivers work. the tweeter will be the hardest to hear so stick a hand towel in the midrange opening to block it off and put your ear up to the tweeter and see if you hear it working. the other 2 drivers should be easy to hear.

there is no hurry to get the crossovers rebuilt so if you do buy them sit back and enjoy. depending on the damage and how hard it is to get speakers in your area the price seems reasonable. good luck

• Like 1

I have two pr. of about the same vintage. My OPINIONS:

The price is high, even if the drivers all work.

Don't be concerned with the "flaw", except as a bargaining issue.

If you buy them, you will probably want to have the crossovers updated.

Play any genre of music you want to listen to, and if you miss thump-hard bass, add a sub.

SSH

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback and opinions really nice info and much appreciated. I had a pair of LaScala's back in 84 so I am familiar with the sound but I am not technical with electrics and stuff. Thanks again for the info. And as mentioned I do love the sound of the Heritage series from the 80's, no other sound like it anywhere! :)

Edited by gfong

Thanks for the feedback and opinions really nice info and much appreciated. I had a pair of LaScala's back in 84 so I am familiar with the sound but I am not technical with electrics and stuff. As for the price if I do a straight conversion into US dolars with today's rate they work out to $875.00 US not $950.00 as stated. Thanks again for the info. And as mentioned I do love the sound of the Heritage series from the 80's, no other sound like it anywhere! :)

the scalas all pretty much have the same sound except the La scala Industrial which handle more power -good luck -there are a few places for purchasing capacitors in Montreal -

• Like 1

FWIW, I don't think the price is out of line at all. I have purchased 4 pairs and $800 was the cheapest pair and they were rougher than the ones you pictured.

If the sound doesn't have enough bass for your likings, then you should visit the subwoofer forum. There you can read about all the different horn loaded subs people have matched to their LaScalas. As for the crossovers, the only thing you need to do is buy a set of Crites Sonicap kits ($87 + shipping) and replace the old caps with new ones. Fabric for the top portion and a smoked glass top are indeed nice looking upgrades. See pic:

hero_lascala.jpg

It would be a simple thing to do.

Edited by mustang guy

In the picture posted above, the La Scalas are being driven by the tiny silver amp sitting by itself on the carpet, the one with the knob on the front.  As you can see, La Scalas are not hard to drive.

That said, they don't mind big amps either, as long as you take care with the volume control.

-Scalas are for classical - jazz , , dance music is not their mission -

strongly disagree!  My stock '96 Scala's have played every genre thrown at them, flawlessly.  Including "dance" music. 

Lascalas sound best with the music the owner likes best. You might need a sub to render some stuff like you would want, but my speakers are the size of a over and under  refrigerator with the freezer part knocked off and I use a sub.

Bryant

• 2 weeks later...

This design was built and is being used with my La Scala's

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

that give more bass -as the door opening of the dog house is removed and this port  added -simple but it works -this is not a sub however - it just digs the bass a bit lower