La Scala purchase questions

gfong

Few pics of the new to me 1979 Klipsch La Scala speakers. Not minding the black finish at all, always thought it had less shine. Digging em more daily! :)

I cant see any defects in the wood - did you fix these up yourself -

• Like 1

Are those glass tops, looks like it.

As mentioned above I always thought that the tops were like the sides with less of a shine to them. I do like how the tops have a lot more luster to them. Are all BB like this? 

Are those glass tops, looks like it.

As mentioned above I always thought that the tops were like the sides with less of a shine to them. I do like how the tops have a lot more luster to them. Are all BB like this? 

nope - again -they must have been reworked or simply waxed -

Few pics of the new to me 1979 Klipsch La Scala speakers. Not minding the black finish at all, always thought it had less shine. Digging em more daily! :)

Nope I purchased them this way and then spent some time just wiping them off with warm damp cloth over and over. I would agree with waxed as I did take a lot of build up off the tops. I applied some spray can Pledge to them to continue the sheen look.

There are a few marks and also the veneer has split at the top of one but not enough to even allow me to glue it. (2015 and I post a blurred pic, sorry was a quick shot)

post-60863-0-30020000-1425831770_thumb.j

Edited by gfong

The seller originally wanted $1200 US for them and I offered him $875.00 US and he was happy and so was I. He had upgraded to KHorns and had these sitting for a few years. He was second owner and both owners took really good care of them, and I will continue that as well. They are in nice shape, think I did well! (pat on back) joking! :)

Again all, thanks for the info.

I was an original Klipsch La Scala owner back in the 80's and now again with a set in 2015! Good to be back where my ears belong! :)

Edited by gfong
  • Like 2

Nope I purchased them this way and then spent some time just wiping them off with warm damp cloth over and over. There are a few marks and also the veneer has split at the top of one but not enough to even allow me to glue it.

use PVA glue before it gets worse - these speakers have  a birch veneer on plywood -as it lifts , it dries and cracks -all these 1979 's do that in the back -

• Like 1

"it just digs the bass a bit lower"

It digs down about the same as the Cornwall, but still has the 'slam' in the midbass of the LaScala.

With the addition of the Electro-Voice Interface or Sentry equalizers the vented LaScala can do 31hz in room.

3ev.jpg

This design was built and is being used with my La Scala'sattachicon.gifimage.jpg

that give more bass -as the door opening of the dog house is removed and this port  added -simple but it works -this is not a sub however - it just digs the bass a bit lower

That description is correct - but it works so well

• 5 years later...
On 6/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, Eagledown said:

What do you think a pair of black 1978 lascalas should be going for nowadays?

you'll have to swing closer to 1500$ for a decent pair -with covid 19-----everything is selling fast  -------and even with that 1500$ is a great deal for such  speakers -- -

• Like 1

Last set of LS I know of close to Nashville sold for $2,000 and they were nice but not upgraded in any way. Hardly anything Klipsch is for sale at all. Prices actually achieved around here have gone up at least 50% in the last year and a half. If you can find any. I have a set I will list soon with work done on them and they will be $2,000 and maybe more if stock LS's are bringing that much. Another set locally has been listed for $2,900 for a couple of months now and the dude is not backing off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagledown said:

I would say they are in very good shape. They have a small blemish on the front of one but if I polished them up and did not tell you I don't think most would notice.99291144_542642339719218_4958847606487777280_n.thumb.jpg.56213183461d07ae887b7cbb3b8ce8dd.jpg

101439885_578437732873904_1757261658427752448_n(1).jpg

101600469_674203269811255_3925721437075144704_n.jpg

100799149_358760451773963_8779641399088775168_n.jpg

great shape ----------buy them ---is all I say  ----what is the asking price -------------are you under 1500$

Asking $2000 but I still think they are worth it . They look nice & sound nice too. We are located in Michigan between Flint & Detroit. I am actually selling them but I have a guy trying to tell me they are only worth $950- $1200. I will stand my grounds on my asking price.

Edited by Eagledown
Did not put all the info I wanted

5 hours ago, Eagledown said:

Asking $2000 but I still think they are worth it . They look nice & sound nice too. We are located in Michigan between Flint & Detroit. I am actually selling them but I have a guy trying to tell me they are only worth $950- $1200. I will stand my grounds on my asking price.

You should post in Garage Sale with photos, your location, and a price.  GLWS.