Selling Pair of 1987 Khorns Oiled Oak

JlWinchester100

Guest Steven1963

I was the first to respond to this post and was offered the khorns. I accepted on the condition that the seller post them on Audiogon for thirty days. I did this because I could not take advantage of a newbee who obviously did not know the value of what she was selling. She is not desperate to sell. We are not CL but rather a community of people with a similar interest. I felt like we had a responsibility to not take advantage of her. If she does not sell on Audiogon I can take them with no guilt. I am sharing this only because I do not want anyone to think she welched on her offer to sell for $1,850.

Flame away.

On 22 Feb she offered them for $2400.  No interest.  On 3 Mar she dropped the price to $1850. Interest was sparked. That is apparently, until Earl jumped in, and now the price is back to $2400?

I bought them because I wanted them. However. I gave her a chance to get a price closer to what they are worth before taking them. If that is not alright with you Steve, too bad. They were not even posted on Audiogon when you wrote your post or I responded so how do you know what she is asking. At least get your facts straight. 

It's all fine with me, Earl. I have no interest in them.  Do whatever you want with them, pay whatever you want for them.  I do not care. And my facts were straight: she offered them for $2400, dropped the price to $1850. You apparently told her to post them elsewhere for more.  That's between you and her.  Calm down and put away your quills.

On 22 Feb she offered them for $2400. No interest. On 3 Mar she dropped the price to $1850. Interest was sparked. That is apparently, until Earl jumped in, and now the price is back to $2400?

If you did not care, why the nasty post? You have developed a habit of responding negatively to my posts. I grow tired of it as I have told you in private PM's. If you do not like what I write, simply ignore my posts. Further, you are not correct as to her new asking price, despite your comments.

Once again, have a nice day.   

You took that as nasty?  Sorry Earl, wasn't meant to be. Simply a summary of the events as I saw them.  I think you are suffering  from our earlier exchanges and are a little bit on the defensive. Or, perhaps you felt you would get a little feedback because you ended your post with 'flame away,' thus you were already on the defensive? Earl, I am not your enemy and I have no interest in a pissing-match with you or any member here on the forum.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I do have something to say on this, though, and perhaps it can be taken at face value without someone assuming it is an attack. The OP must've had an idea of their worth as she originally posted asking for $2400.  This is within their value range, according to most people. But she didn't get any interest, apparently, and dropped the price drastically down to $1850.  It was at that point interest picked up.  Including from some who felt that price was too low, but, from what I can gather, accepted the offer and advised her to re-post them somewhere else for more. 

While I can appreciate the morality behind that decision, I can also appreciate Ajoker2c's post, that, in essence, the free market should be allowed to work and those of us who might share the same appreciation for the true value of these speakers should still have an opportunity to take advantage of a deal when it presents itself without interference from the morality police. After all, she is the one who set the price originally and lowered it to something different.  If she was comfortable selling them at $1850, so be it.

She is not desperate to sell. We are not CL but rather a community of people with a similar interest. 

Similar interests yes, similar disposable income no. 

those of us who might share the same appreciation for the true value of these speakers should still have an opportunity to take advantage of a deal when it presents itself without interference from the morality police. After all, she is the one who set the price originally and lowered it to something different. If she was comfortable selling them at $1850, so be it.

I am not the "Morality police" although I can understand why you might think so. As for the free market, I have started my own business and am very familiar with the concept from both senior corporate positions and as an entrepreneur. As I said before, I wanted them, I was the first person to respond, and I just gave the seller an opportunity to sell to me at $1,850 or see if she was being fair to herself. Taking advantage of people does not fit my definition of a Forum member. This is not big business, it is our hobby. How can you enjoy something if you feel you took advantage of someone. If it was on CL you might make an argument that is another matter. (I wouldn't but I can see a difference) But this is not CL. I did not step in to deprive someone else of the deal. I was first, I wanted them, and I bought them.

As for your continuing posts Steven, you always start by saying you are not looking to create controversy, then create controversy. At least be honest as to your true intent.  

BTW, what kind of headphones are you wearing in your avatar?

Guest Steven1963

But she didn't get any interest,

Because it was posted in the wrong section. 

Perhaps, but she dropped the price AS it was reposted in the correct section.

Here is my observation (nothing more): We have in the past congratulated members for finding great deals.  I'm just curious why this time 'the great deal' isn't such a good thing.  It's rhetorical and nobody has to respond - I'm not the forum police enforcing my morality, I'm just noting, for my own reference, the two dis-similarities.

But she didn't get any interest,

Because it was posted in the wrong section. 

Perhaps, but she dropped the price AS it was reposted in the correct section.

Here is my observation (nothing more): We have in the past congratulated members for finding great deals.  I'm just curious why this time 'the great deal' isn't such a good thing.  It's rhetorical and nobody has to respond - I'm not the forum police enforcing my morality, I'm just noting, for my own reference, the two dis-similarities.

Congratulate me all you want. Just don't question what I do with my speakers after I am the successful purchaser.

Does this help?

AND Earl was the first to respond and the offer to him at $1850 is good. Her word is good as is his, it is rather nice to see people who still honor their word and handshake. If she can sell them for more, Earl is fine with it, and if he buys them for $1850 she is ok with that also. I have offered people more for their equipment in the past when it was obvious they didnt know.

The free market is working, if you want to offer more for the Khorns, feel free to. If you wanted a deal you would have bought Fleas a couple of months ago when he was basically giving them away. It seems you want to get into a pissing contest with Earl, and having dealt with him on legal matters, he offered his services at no charge. Money is not a driving factor in Earl's life, doing the right thing seems to be. I'm not the moral police by any means, but I do think he shows class in most everything he does.

Earl, you can make the check payable to

Mark

AND Earl was the first to respond and the offer to him at $1850 is good. Her word is good as is his, it is rather nice to see people who still honor their word and handshake. If she can sell them for more, Earl is fine with it, and if he buys them for $1850 she is ok with that also. I have offered people more for their equipment in the past when it was obvious they didnt know.

The free market is working, if you want to offer more for the Khorns, feel free to. If you wanted a deal you would have bought Fleas a couple of months ago when he was basically giving them away. It seems you want to get into a pissing contest with Earl, and having dealt with him on legal matters, he offered his services at no charge. Money is not a driving factor in Earl's life, doing the right thing seems to be. I'm not the moral police by any means, but I do think he shows class in most everything he does.

Mark

Thank you, Mark.

How much? Do you take PayPal? :rolleyes:

Guest Steven1963

those of us who might share the same appreciation for the true value of these speakers should still have an opportunity to take advantage of a deal when it presents itself without interference from the morality police. After all, she is the one who set the price originally and lowered it to something different. If she was comfortable selling them at $1850, so be it.

As for your continuing posts Steven, you always start by saying you are not looking to create controversy, then create controversy. At least be honest as to your true intent.  

Now see, this first paragraph does bother me, because you attempt to create fact from nothing more than your point of view.  If you were to be honest, you would have to admit you have no clue as to what my true intentions are. While I don't see the need to explain my thought-process to you, I would simply say that I am being honest. You have only your point of view and I am not interested in debating something so irrelevant to me. 

Let's just say this, Earl: an offer was made, you accepted it but advised the OP do something else before consummating the deal.  Fine.  Not my business.  All I came in to say is that I found it a bit peculiar that while in some instances we frown on the practice of finding a good deal, and in others we congratulate members when they make a good deal.

If you find some 'ulterior motive' in any of what my intentions are, then all I can say is 'have a good life' with your paranoia. There is no controversy, Earl.  Not outside of you.

I consider this thread closed.

Edited by Steven1963

Not my business.

All I came in to say is that I found it a bit peculiar that while in some instances we frown on the practice of finding a good deal, and in others we congratulate members when they make a good deal. If you find some 'ulterior motive' in any of what my intentions are, then all I can say is 'have a good life' with your paranoia. There is no controversy, Earl. Not outside of you.

As for your first comment (above) I AGREE!

As to your second comment, the phrase "Who are you going to believe...me or your lying eyes?" rings out.  In any event, I am done replying to you Steven.

All the best,

Earl

Mark

Thank you, Mark.

How much? Do you take PayPal? :rolleyes:

Cash is KING Earl!!

last year i bought a st-35 clone off ebay.... the guy started around 700 dollars, it didn't sell... after 2 or 3 times listed he dropped the price to 550.... i contacted him and asked him why?  he said he was learning to build tube amps and was willing to lose some so he could sell and buy another kits.. this kit he had 730 dollars in parts i belive. that being said, i told him it's alright to to build it for free to learn, but at least get back the money for parts.... so i offered him the 730 he had in it, he built it for free i guess, but i supported someone trying to learn to build and helped him get his money back..... it sounds wonderfu and i'm glad i helped him, made me feel good, and i got a wonderful amp...  just a story to share

bruce

LMAO  .... sorry, but I had to laugh at that.

In the end, I hope these very nice speakers find a good home and that the buyer and seller are both happy.

Just bad luck for me, I suppose. I've been lurking here for 6 months or so looking for khorns remotely close to me(distance wise). Checking the garage sale section (only) everyday and twice on weekends. Then on the day I finally join....... just what I'm looking for appears. Sooooooo close........

Ive had a WTB thread over at AK for about 2 months which has yielded nada........

Maybe its a sign to just buy Cornscalas?