I didn't know I had this much stuff

kohill

For Christmas my youngest son moved to the basement, taking over his brothers room, who recently married. After he moved, he wondered aloud to my wife, if I would get him a stereo setup. Now my wife knew this could start an avalanche of new speakers and equipment, but she told me anyway.

Hallelujah! I was needing a project.

My plan was to find a pair of Kg 1 or 1.2's. No problem. Two weeks of watching eBay and they were on the way. Then I bought a new stereo receiver at Amazon and voilà, a system was born. Sounds good too.

My older son was checking out little bros setup. He mentioned an old emotiva preamplifier setting over in the corner. I started wondering if I could put together a second system.

I pulled out the emotiva, an ancient rotel amp, a spare DVD player, and my RB 5's and boom, second system. Also sounds good.

In the meantime, I found some SB 3's for 100 bucks. My son took those. I also found a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers which I put in the second system. Now I had the kg' s and rb's to spare. So, I went digging around in the junk pile. Out came a Sony combo DVD player/ receiver. It quit playing DVDs, but still plays cd's. Third system. Sounds decent too.

In the midst of all this, I bought a new Rotel integrated and a new Yamaha CD player. I figured it was time to join this century and get some technology in my system. My wife was right about the avalanche. Once it all comes in I'm going to have 4 systems.

I need some of you guys to tell your stories, so I can assure my wife it's not just me. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Lessee...we'll start with the home theater.

Six Cornwalls with a pair of JBL 4638 low frequency cabs, making a total of 10 15" woofers smilin' at ya in a 14 x 18 foot room. Some might think it's overkill - I think those people are insane.

Then we'll talk about the tube room.

I have a pair of Belle Klipsch, which get babied and fed with a premium diet of a choice of two front ends - a McIntosh MX110 into a pair of MC30s (and I have two pairs of MC30's in the stash, each with different coupling caps and tube complements) - and a second system core of a JM Peach into a pair of NOSValves VRDs. A pair of Belle Klipsch never had it so good, and my ears are spoiled rotten. I have a Thorens TD124 and an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb (tube buffered) CD player as the main sources for whichever system core I decide to use.

But the addiction truly manifested in fullest display with my tube stash - 2 1/2 dozen Mullard and Philips 5AR4 rectifiers, 100+ Telefunken, Amperex, and Mullard 12AX7, 60+ 12AU7, a few dozen 12BH7, a few dozen 5U4, a few dozen NOS 6922/7308, a matched baker's dozen of GEC KT66, and a dozen quads of KT88....plus a few other oddball variants and specialties like 6U8, 6AU6, compactrons, 12X4 and such. Definitely enough to run these gears for a lifetime and then some.

Again, all perfectly normal and justified - all in the service of great music.

Another way to look at it: "Hey, at least it's not crack!" :lol:

Edited by Audible Nectar
  • Like 3

But the addiction truly manifested in fullest display with my tube stash - 2 1/2 dozen Mullard and Philips 5AR4 rectifiers, 100+ Telefunken, Amperex, and Mullard 12AX7, 60+ 12AU7, a few dozen 12BH7, a few dozen 5U4, a few dozen NOS 6922/7308, a matched baker's dozen of GEC KT66, and a dozen quads of KT88....plus a few other oddball variants and specialties like 6U8, 6AU6, compactrons, 12X4 and such. Definitely enough to run these gears for a lifetime and then some.

This is a stick up! Your tubes or your wife life!

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

I have 4 rigs in my house as well, the main system a McIntosh/Rotel/Chorus II rig with Klipsch outdoor speakers running out to the deck. A basement rig Pioneer receiver & turntable/Sony ES cdp/Cornwall II's & Heresy II's. A shop rig of Sony ES Int Amp/Denon tape deck & a pair of KG 5.5's. Just so the wife doesn't feel neglected she has a Pioneer SX-750 receiver with a Sony cdp that plays through a pair of Advent Marbl speakers in the laundry room.

So no, I don't see any problem at all.

I thinned the heard when I sold 4 of my MWM double bins (I had 5 of them) and 4 of my MWM single bins, and the rest of my MCM-1900 stuff (Thanks for the help loading all that stuff Michael Colter! I had been planning a 7 channel MWM setup in my barn. I got rid of all the small stuff (Klipschorns, LaScalas, etc. several years back and now I just have my Klipsch KP-600 stacks and 7 Klipsch TSCM pro-klipschorns with 2 Klipsch KPT-684 subs and 2 Velodyne HGS-18II subs. That puts me down to eleven 15 inch woofers not counting extras and spares and ten 18 inch woofers, oh, I forgot about my pair of Klipsch KP-450s, so that is fifteen 15 inch woofers not counting extras and spares, plus two more in the last MWM bin I have that I am giving to Kevin Harmon at the Hope gathering, so I guess that is seventeen 15 inch woofers not counting spares and extras... Hey, I used to own over forty 15 inch woofers, so I am thinning the heard!! Now each TSCM has two K-77 tweeter drivers, so that is fourteen and there are two more K-77 drivers in each KP-600 stack,. so that is a total of four more K-77 drivers added to the fourteen and we have eighteen K-77 drivers, and then we have to remember that each TSCM top hat has four K-55 drivers, so 4 x 7 is a total of twenty eight K-55 drivers in my TSCMs, so yeah, I have a lot of drivers I suppose....but that is nothing compared to what Colter has laying around or my buddy Kevin Harmon!

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer