Vinyl Newbee

eth2

I would double check the setup do you a scale for checking the tracking force ?  Can you lower the arm onto the record and post a picture from the side showing the angle of the tone arm  , also if you look at the head shell when its resting on the record does it look pretty straight from the front or is in leaning left of right 

If all fails get a BFH   :P

Edited by A1UC

eth2, how many plays do you have on that cartridge?  In my limited experience, I've found that a new stylus needs to have 20-40 album sides played on it before the suspension breaks in and the bass response becomes normal.  For the first few plays, the treble can even sound screechy at high volume.

• Like 1

eth2, how many plays do you have on that cartridge?  In my limited experience, I've found that a new stylus needs to have 20-40 album sides played on it before the suspension breaks in and the bass response becomes normal.  For the first few plays, the treble can even sound screechy at high volume.

No experience with that.  First time I put my 2M to a disc I knew well it was incredible.  If it got better I didn't notice.

Dave

May 6 to 10

I have set up my VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge to my NBS/VRD's and Khorns. even with new vinyl I am getting pops and crackles. I have washed all the albums. Also the highs are screechy. Any thoughts.

You can take care of records by always keeping them in their sleeves - with a good carbonfiber brush , that is enough - congratulations on the VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge   but as a newbie - you are asking for trouble with TT's  -

my advice is  -keep the VPI as a great looking TT - BUT buy a USED Technics newer sl 1200 series with a set of precalibrated cartridges and have fun - these require no setup , a child could use these with no trouble - plus they deliver excellent sound - all these very expensive TT'S  are very complex - I have several TT's and when I really just want to listen to vinyl , my Technics are my saviors -  no wonder they sold millions and millions -

• Like 1

I have set up my VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge to my NBS/VRD's and Khorns. even with new vinyl I am getting pops and crackles. I have washed all the albums. Also the highs are screechy. Any thoughts.

You can take care of records by always keeping them in their sleeves - with a good carbonfiber brush , that is enough - congratulations on the VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge   but as a newbie - you are asking for trouble with TT's  -

my advice is  -keep the VPI as a great looking TT - BUT buy a USED Technics newer sl 1200 series with a set of precalibrated cartridges and have fun - these require no setup , a child could use these with no trouble - plus they deliver excellent sound - all these very expensive TT'S  are very complex - I have several TT's and when I really just want to listen to vinyl , my Technics are my saviors -  no wonder they sold millions and millions -

OK, I don't get this, and disagree with some.  So, you are saying to keep the VPI to look at?  For real?  And get a child's play (your term) Technics to actually use?  What a waste.  Spend thousands on a TT and cartridge to let it sit and play second fiddle.  Wow, talk about disposable income.....You can't take care of vinyl simply by keeping them in their sleeves with a carbon fiber brush.  Big mistake.  Washing, drying, new sleeves work semi-wonders....One thing I do agree with is that some of the vintage Technics machines are pretty sweet (at their price point).  I just got a completely restored SL-1400 MK2, with an Ortofon Blue, Emotiva Phono Preamp (on Lemonstring's recommendation) and I love it.

• Like 1

You can take care of records by always keeping them in their sleeves - with a good carbonfiber brush , that is enough - congratulations on the VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge but as a newbie - you are asking for trouble with TT's -

my advice is -keep the VPI as a great looking TT - BUT buy a USED Technics newer sl 1200 series with a set of precalibrated cartridges and have fun - these require no setup , a child could use these with no trouble - plus they deliver excellent sound - all these very expensive TT'S are very complex - I have several TT's and when I really just want to listen to vinyl , my Technics are my saviors - no wonder they sold millions and millions -

why not just setup the table correct or have someone do it ? This makes no sense at all
  • Like 2

OK, I don't get this, and disagree with some.  So, you are saying to keep the VPI to look at?  For real?  And get a child's play (your term) Technics to actually use?  What a waste.  Spend thousands on a TT and cartridge to let it sit and play second fiddle.  Wow, talk about disposable income.....You can't take care of vinyl simply by keeping them in their sleeves with a carbon fiber brush.  Big mistake.  Washing, drying, new sleeves work semi-wonders....One thing I do agree with is that some of the vintage Technics machines are pretty sweet (at their price point).  I just got a completely restored SL-1400 MK2, with an Ortofon Blue, Emotiva Phono Preamp (on Lemonstring's recommendation) and I love it.

I like your remark about the new sleeves -did you ever clean records with glue or is that not recommended -  and yes the 1400mk2 is a marvel -

You can take care of records by always keeping them in their sleeves - with a good carbonfiber brush , that is enough - congratulations on the VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2m Black cartridge but as a newbie - you are asking for trouble with TT's -

my advice is -keep the VPI as a great looking TT - BUT buy a USED Technics newer sl 1200 series with a set of precalibrated cartridges and have fun - these require no setup , a child could use these with no trouble - plus they deliver excellent sound - all these very expensive TT'S are very complex - I have several TT's and when I really just want to listen to vinyl , my Technics are my saviors - no wonder they sold millions and millions -

why not just setup the table correct or have someone do it ? This makes no sense at all

That's the plan...if only I could get a good deal on a disk washer

I agree, also from personal experience.  There are a couple of little tricks to learn about it, but overall I've had very good success with it.

• Like 1