which dust caps for forte 2 passive?

may need to replace a dust cap on my forte2 passive.  it is a 4.5" cap but my question is what material would it be?  paper or felt?

simply speakers has a goood assortment of caps but some are paper & some are felt.  i think i would call the forte cap felt as you can kind of see "fibers" or hairs like a felt material vs solid smooth paper.

anyone ever had to replace these caps & know for sure what material it is?  i will try all the other trick to pull it out first but so far tape & a househole upright vac have failed.  shop vac is next.  :unsure:

• Like 1

Actually a dented cap doens't change the sound one iota unless it's torn and buzzes.

Material for replacement doesn't really matter, I just try to match what's there before, probably the pressed felt. Parts Express has a couple different models too. Order a slightly larger size so it will cover where you cut the old one away. I'd remove the old because a passive radiator has MASS and you don't want to change that too much.  

Cut away the old one using an Exacto knife laid flat to the cone, be careful not to cut into the cone. 

Dry fit the new one, mark the border lightly with pencil. Remove the cap and apply glue below the marked line. Set the cap in place and use a roll of tape or large socket to weight down until the glue dries. Guys who recone speakers apply a second bead of glue to the outer edge once the cap is in place.  Don't use for 24 hours.

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

thank you sir.  i should have mentioned i have replaced many surrounds & dust caps before on other home & car speakers but your tips are great for ones who may not be familiar with doing this.

also aware it doesnt change the sound.  its more of a cosmetic thing for me... or perfectionism,  or OCD type of thing,   :wacko:   i like to keep my gear & speakers & stuff in nice shape.  hate it when people push in dust caps!  lol.  & on that same note the material does matter, to me, i want it to look right & match the other one.  think what they call felt is a very close match to stock klipsch. 

dont tell moray james about the mass thing... a paper dust cap weighs probably 5 grams.... 2 big washers weigh 2.5oz!  :D

i think i want to stay the same size, the new cap has a lip to meet the cone, just like the stock one.  when i cut the inside of the old cap off it will leave that very thin lip that is whats actually glued to the cone, i will just glue the new cap right onto that lip & it will be the exact same size.  the cap will be raised the thickness of the material but hardly noticeable... compared to going to a 5" cap. would like both caps to match, incase i ever sell them, &, on account of that OCD thing!

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1