Cleaning inside of Heresy II from 1980s?

tkrimsky

Re-setting up 1960s McIntosh system to 1980s Heresy II speakers. 

Q1:  Removed Heresy grills & speakers are covered with dust/dirt.  What should be used to ever-so-gently clean them?  Used a micro vacuum gently, but they are still needing actual cleaning.

Q2:  How to get behind the speakers to clean it all out (the back of the speakers I mean as well)?

Q3:  Have a crackle sound (almost like a loose wire but not) so maybe the cleaning will help. 

ANY helpful ideas are truly appreciated.  Can't wait to get back up and running!  Thanks for your help!

Re-setting up 1960s McIntosh system to 1980s Heresy II speakers.

Q1: Removed Heresy grills & speakers are covered with dust/dirt. What should be used to ever-so-gently clean them? Used a micro vacuum gently, but they are still needing actual cleaning.

Q2: How to get behind the speakers to clean it all out (the back of the speakers I mean as well)?

Q3: Have a crackle sound (almost like a loose wire but not) so maybe the cleaning will help.

ANY helpful ideas are truly appreciated. Can't wait to get back up and running! Thanks for your help!

Q1 - As far as the woofer goes (on any speaker) you can wipe it gently with a microfiber cloth or a feather duster. On the horn mouths you can use a damp (with water) cloth. Nothing else is really needed as far as dust removal.

Q2 - The inside of the cabinet will be fine/clean. There's no reason to open them up unless your curious... Or in your case you may have an issue related to Q3.

Q3 - You can remove the screws holding the woofer on the cabinet and pull it out. Be mindful of the wires connected to the woofer and which are +/-.

As far as the "crackle" sound, check the woofer surround for tears and make sure the dust cap is not loose. If there's an issue with the voice coil, you can usually feel/hear it rub, by pushing lightly on the woofer.

Once the woofer is off, you can check the other wires inside the cabinet to see if they're all secure.

• Like 1

Regarding getting in back of the drivers:  It is my understanding that the back of the box is permanently affixed.  But the woofer and the rest including the crossover cup are front mounted, meaning that you should see screws holding them in place.  The only way to get into the box is to remove, for example, the woofer.  But perhaps someone else will confirm.

It is probably worthwhile to check all electrical connections and the sealing of seams of the box.  Also be prepared to make sure that the gaskets for the drivers and crossover cup are in good shape.

WMcD

• Like 1

I'll add that I use a large soft paint brush to clean paper cone drivers.  Just sweep back and forth like you're sweeping a floor. It seems to get the dust that's stuck in the paper a little better than canned air or a microfiber. I've cleaned up some filthy drivers this way.

• Like 2