Amp for full Forte setup

finallygotmyheresies

I disagree with previous statements about Adcom amplifiers, while not every Adcom amp is great they do have some great products that i would choose over all others though Anthem amps are great also. The GFA 5500 coupled with the 5503 is a great pick for 5 channel or the GFA 7705 5 channel amp would be another good one though its a newer model and would probably be above your bidget on the used market.

Not an Emotiva or Parasound fan myself but do like the newer Marantz amps and reference integrated is very nice but its big bucks even on the used market.

Never heard any Sherbourn products that i can recall so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

This is for a home theater setup, right?  Guys may not like this but I'm partial to Yamaha receivers. The YPAO auto eq works fabulously, the user interface for the surround modes etc is pretty easy to get through, lots of inputs and such. The newer stuff can be controlled by iPad or iPhone app also. 

Depending on how loud you listen you don't need a lot of watts, but a lot depends on size of the room. 

• Like 2

Before selling my Forte IIs hooked them up to my McIntosh Pre-amp & Amps plenty loud on 40 watts in my smallish room and really good sound, very close to LaScalas. A Yamaha or similar with room correction used as a pre coupled with a used Mc-7106 amp, less than $1,200, should be a killer set-up. Amp could be added later. Just make sure receiver model has Pre-outs, need to be high enough in model lineup to get them in some brands.

Started out with Fortes and Higher end Pioneer receiver, coupling Adcom amps to it was an improvement especially for bass. Mc-Intosh was a big step-up for vocals without a drop-off in bass. (Sub handled 80hz and below)

Sorry did notice budget at first, still I would get receiver with room correction that has an amp then upgrade to a Mc-7106 or similar later after saving up if Watching Concerts or listening to music.

FYI - Fortes are sensitive to distance from both side wall and wall behind speaker. Would recommend getting placement optimized before running room correction.

Edited by BE36
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Best bet is to go and listen to as many amps as you can. I've owned several and couldn't tell a difference in sound in a blind test.

I agree, with a $500 budget, it will be hard to find a 200x5 but not impossible. I paid $400 for one a few years ago. Average is probably $600-$750

Not necessarily. I just felt the Adcom amps I owned were of lower build quality

was just curious why you had that opinion.  most people like adcom, especiallly in the "budget" price range.   i have owned/own many different adcoms over the years, mainly the gfa-5xx & 2nd series 5xx.  i currently have 2 555ii & short of going to much higher end stuff at a much higher price, i cant see how the "build quality" can get much better.  adcoms are tanks & have some pretty good parts internally & for me have been very reliable.  plus they are brutes when it comes to power & bass output at 200wpc & 600w bridged @ 8 ohms, 800 @ 4ohms.  while they may not be the most musical amps there are they do pretty darn good compared to some higher end stuff i have heard.  & the smaller 535 & 545 actually sound "better" than the bigger 555 & 565 IMO at "normal" listening levels. but for concert level volumes on speakers that can take or need the power the 555ii is hard to beat... for the price of course.

i own a 200wpc rotel rb990 & an onkyo m-504 @ 165wpc.  the adcom 555ii looks much beefier inside & kicks their butts in the bass & volume category but the rotel & onkyo do have a "smoother" more musical sound at lower listening levels.  but as with everything in this hobby there are too many factors that come into play, other gear in the system, speakers, room etc.  but personally i would not put adcoms build quality or sound at the bottom of any list.

Edited by klipschfancf4

I guess I should just ask if 100~140wpc is enough for a Forte HT setup or should I be looking for more power? A budget of $1,000 would be better but I don't wanna overspend if I can avoid it.

My current setup is a Marantz PM8004 which gets used in HT bypass mode with a TASCAM PA-R200 (Onkyo),which is basically used as a HDMI switcher, whenever I use a HDMI source.

absolutey 100-140wpc is enough for almost any klipsch speaker.  unless you want real concert level sound or trying to fill a movie theater sized room.  im sure you know but fortes & other heritage speakers are VERY efficient & do not need big power.  shoot, my fortes sound amazing on my 90wpc onkyo 605 AVR in a decent sized living room. 

unless you are truely unhappy with your current setup i dont see any need to spend 500-1000 to add ~60 watts.  while extra headroom on an amp is a good thing, you probably are more than fine with 100-140 watts for teh fortes or any heritage speaker.  IMO of course.  ;)     

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for.  Do you have a pre-amp and you are looking for a 5.0 amplifier?  Your current Marantz is a stereo receiver with 4 outputs.  Are you going to use the Tascam as a pre-out? 

I may suggest an alternative.  The Onkyo TX-NR818 is an outstanding value selling used now at $450-500.  There seems to be a lot of them coming on the used market right now.

They were $1200 new and street value new was around $900 if I remember correctly.  It can do 7.2 and can be used as a pre-out.  It has a strong 135 wpc and has an advanced version of Audyssey, the MultEQ XT32.

The only caveat (and this is a big deal, and may be a deal breaker) is this model had the HDMI daughter board problem.  Onk has extended the warranty on that problem to 2018, so you do have some protection.

I have the Onk 717 and I can't say enough good things about it.  I run my power hungry CF-4's L/R in a 5.1 configuration and my 110 wpc runs my setup as loud as you want.  The sound quality is outstanding with that AVR.  I think it will do a good job of running your 5 Fortes all day long for music or movies.

Accessories for Less.com has an 818 for $600, but I think that price is high, I've seen them on AVS.com market place for less than $500.

+++

Edit: Fellow Klipschites, if my advice on this ^^^ is bad or if I am looking at this wrong, please feel free to say so.  It won't hurt my feelings.  B)

Edited by wvu80

I guess I should just ask if 100~140wpc is enough for a Forte HT setup or should I be looking for more power?

Absolutely enough.

Here are a few amp suggestions that you might find on the used market near your price:

Parasound 5125

NAD T955

B&K Reference 125.5 or 5125

Acurus A125x5

Anthem PVA 5

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

I had been focused on only having a 2-channel setup for a couple of years. I bought the PM8004 to have a good quality integrated and I added the TASCAM so that I could have HDMI hookups. My recent Forte finds as well as my pending home purchase are affording me the opportunity to go back to a HT setup. So now I plan on using the TASCAM as a preamp and want to add a 5-channel amp for the 5 Fortes. I know Fortes are sensitive but in a HT environment I just wanted to be sure to get a amp that will be sufficient for that purpose. My tv room is about 18'x24. I move in 6 days :)