Amp for full Forte setup

finallygotmyheresies

I had been focused on only having a 2-channel setup for a couple of years. I bought the PM8004 to have a good quality integrated and I added the TASCAM so that I could have HDMI hookups. My recent Forte finds as well as my pending home purchase are affording me the opportunity to go back to a HT setup. So now I plan on using the TASCAM as a preamp and want to add a 5-channel amp for the 5 Fortes. I know Fortes are sensitive but in a HT environment I just wanted to be sure to get a amp that will be sufficient for that purpose. My tv room is about 18'x24. I move in 6 days :)

Sorry, I was off base with my idea of an Onk 818.  At best that would have been a sideways move, not a notch up.  Feel free to ignore me.  :)

+++

I've never liked 2-channel integrated amps/receivers when you divide the signal into 4.  For me at least, it just makes the 4 speakers lifeless, and two only usually sounded better.

Have you run the TASCAM in its native 5.1 mode?  Going just by the specs, it should be just fine for driving those 5 speakers.  But like nearly everyone says, more power is better, for more headroom.

Sorry, I was off base with my idea of an Onk 818.  At best that would have been a sideways move, not a notch up.  Feel free to ignore me.  :)

+++

I've never liked 2-channel integrated amps/receivers when you divide the signal into 4.  For me at least, it just makes the 4 speakers lifeless, and two only usually sounded better.

Have you run the TASCAM in its native 5.1 mode?  Going just by the specs, it should be just fine for driving those 5 speakers.  But like nearly everyone says, more power is better, for more headroom.

No worries, nobody is off-base here at all.  I have only used the Tascam as a preamp but I have no desire to use it to drive any of my speakers. I picked it up because it has 7.2 pre outs as well as dual hdmi out. I'm set on using a external amp or amps for the Fortes. I'm excited to watch some concerts with all 5 speakers set to full and no restriction on the volume knob.  I haven't been able to do that since 2008 with my last, pre-klipsch,  HT setup which was a acoustimass 15. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. 

Careful with used amps and companies that have been bought out or have gone away. Your $1K could turn into $1.5K or more after a repair. Spend a little more and get a warranty, not just a roll of the dice. Cant beat this for $1600 new and 5 years warranty. Specs are very, very good as well. Look at the power supplies, this thing will definitely stretch those Forte's out.

Outlaw 7500. Almost identical to ATI, which its built by in the USA. This is the balanced 5 channel version which is $100 more

108648.jpg

7 x 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohms

FTC: 20Hz to 20kHz, < 0.05% THD;

Frequency Response (at rated output) 20Hz -20kHz ± 0.1 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) Less than 0.05% at rated output

all frequencies;

less than 0.01% at 1kHz

Intermodulation Distortion (IMD) Less than 0.05% at rated output

Power Bandwidth 5Hz - >100kHz +0/-3 dB 5Hz

Damping Factor Greater than 400 from 10Hz - 400Hz

Crosstalk Greater than -90dB from 20Hz - 20kHz

Gain Voltage gain of 28dB

Slew Rate 50V/Microsecond

Input Impedance Nominal 50k ohms

Check out the actual THD from the Sound and Vision bench test @ 1Khz. Some people will huff over a 1K reading, but still impressive. 50 watts at .001% 150 watts @ .0025

908out.4.jpg

This graph shows that the 7500’s left channel, with two channels driving 8-ohm loads

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

Outlaw 7200. Almost identical to ATI, which its built by in the USA.

I believe ATI builds that amp for Outlaw as well.

You're correct. And just by looks they appear to be identical, but I have been told by an upper at ATI  that there are different power outputs used by the Outlaw and ATI, but that could very well be mumbo jumbo.  I know sound and Vision put the Outlaw 7500 up against the $10K Anthem P5 and from the review it paired the action very, very well.  SNR, THD, slew rate are all top notch with the ATI and Outlaw.  Im really wanting to try a 7500 out, but old two channel Mac's are tugging at me as well as a SET setup.  I have the hots on for no where right now and seem to be in all directions.

• Like 1

You're correct. And just by looks they appear to be identical, but I have been told by an upper at ATI that there are different power outputs used by the Outlaw and ATI, but that could very well be mumbo jumbo.

ATI wouldn't build an amp for someone that's better than what they put their own logo on IMHO.

You're correct. And just by looks they appear to be identical, but I have been told by an upper at ATI that there are different power outputs used by the Outlaw and ATI, but that could very well be mumbo jumbo.

ATI wouldn't build an amp for someone that's better than what they put their own logo on IMHO.

Maybe not, but just as good! 

You wouldn't think, but the specs between the two are spot on. Maybe sound signature is a little different.  I bet neither of us, or myself for sure, could actually hear a difference between the two :ph34r:

But wait, didn't ATI build a few models for Mark Levinson, Lexicon and a few (rumored) SS models for Cary? 

Edited by Max2

You wouldn't think, but the specs between the two are spot on. Maybe sound signature is a little different.  I bet neither of us, or myself for sure, could actually hear a difference between the two :ph34r:

But wait, didn't ATI build a few models for Mark Levinson, Lexicon and a few (rumored) SS models for Cary? 

I believe so.  Dreadnaught as well.

You wouldn't think, but the specs between the two are spot on.

So 2 speakers with the same specs sound the same? ;)

yes, if they are the same brand......as in this case ;)

I guess you missed my point which was the just because 2 DIFFERENT things (amps, speakers etc) have the same specs on paper, doesn't mean they sound the same.

• Like 1

You wouldn't think, but the specs between the two are spot on.

So 2 speakers with the same specs sound the same? ;)

yes, if they are the same brand......as in this case ;)

I guess you missed my point which was the just because 2 DIFFERENT things (amps, speakers etc) have the same specs on paper, doesn't mean they sound the same.

No I understood your point, and in your example, you would be correct. In the case of the ATI vs Outlaw 7500.....they are the same amp and the point becomes moot.