Upgrading to the latest version of forum software (eventually)

Chad

• Administrators

Hi folks,

I mentioned last year that the fine folks who made the forum software we use here have been working on a brand new version of it. Well, they are going to be releasing it very soon (release candidate versions are available now, so that's a good indicator).

You can see what it looks like (with the stock theme) on their own forums here: http://community.invisionpower.com/

Now, I don't have immediate plans to upgrade to the new version. BUT, it's likely that we will move to it sometime this year. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, opinions and concerns if you get a chance to check it out at the link above. I've not even had a chance to do any testing of it here, but overall it looks like a step in the right direction. I just wanted to get this out there for anyone interested in seeing what the future likely holds.

Thanks

• Administrators

No (no major issues anyway), and that's why we won't be upgrading immediately.

But, the new version comes with feature improvements (both visible to users and on the admin side) and improved security among other things.

I wannabe on the committee!!!!  :lol:

+++

j/k of course. 

I am all for upgrading the forum software, because usually with such upgrades there is beefier security, and I have had my fill of phishing/scammers filling the forums from time-to-time in the last year.

Edit:  I see Chad already addressed the security issues.  My post overlapped his by a minute.

Edited by wvu80

• Administrators

If it will improve SPAM resistance, I'm all for it.  So what if it will take me another 2 months to figure it all out :wacko:

This change probably won't be as dramatic to you as the previous change, where we changed systems completely. Most of the core user flow in IPS 4.0 is very similar to how it currently is here. Lots of cosmetic improvements plus a new improved post editor and such, which is nice.

• Administrators
Will I need to upgrade computer?

Nope, it's a website, not software that's installed on your computer. Now, if you are using Internet Explorer version 8 or earlier, you might not get the best user experience, but that's standard with most modern websites these days.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

I've always been annoyed at what you see here.  Most of the time when I reply superscript, subscript, bbs code, bold, italic, underline or SOMETHING is on and has to be fixed.

Dave

That issue would probably be fixed for you, since it uses an entirely new editor.