Recommend a 2 channel SS receiver for La Scalas

gfong

Still looking around at the suggestions everyone has made. Much appreciated. I don't need another AVR but thanks anyway. Only looking for 2 channel. Have a line on the NAD 356BEE going to listen tomorrow, found a Pioneer 1080 for 600 us and a Harman Kardon 730 that I mentioned before. No rush as my 2002 Kenwood 6070 THX AVR works not too shabby for what it is.

Actually, I have been looking at the Parasound products, and noticed their 2 channel THX Ultra rated amps used go for $250. The THX rating means something.  I think the amps are around 200-250 W each channel. Their web site has all the info on the disc units incl dates of mfg.  Worth a read.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/99032-thx-scam.html

Way overkill for his LaScalas, plus he will be operating the amp at a higher distortion area of the amps design. I would just get a good 25 wpc stereo amp or receiver... That is why I suggested the Yamaja class A amps that were built into their Receivers, and integrated amps. He would then be operating in their designed low distortion area.

Depending on the amps are designed, the first 20-30 watts may be class A, so the rest if fluff.

• Like 1

Still looking around at the suggestions everyone has made. Much appreciated. I don't need another AVR but thanks anyway. Only looking for 2 channel. Have a line on the NAD 356BEE going to listen tomorrow, found a Pioneer 1080 for 600 us and a Harman Kardon 730 that I mentioned before. No rush as my 2002 Kenwood 6070 THX AVR works not too shabby for what it is.

Actually, I have been looking at the Parasound products, and noticed their 2 channel THX Ultra rated amps used go for $250. The THX rating means something.  I think the amps are around 200-250 W each channel. Their web site has all the info on the disc units incl dates of mfg.  Worth a read.

Way overkill for his LaScalas, plus he will be operating the amp at a higher distortion area of the amps design. I would just get a good 25 wpc stereo amp or receiver... That is why I suggested the Yamaja class A amps that were built into their Receivers, and integrated amps. He would then be operating in their designed low distortion area.

Depending on the amps are designed, the first 20-30 watts may be class A, so the rest if fluff.

Just curious, are new Receivers even using Class A/B anymore... Or have they all switched to class D amps? 

I'm not trying to get caught up in the higher watts game, I am looking for a well suited Solid State receiver, amp, separate units, integrated amp that will work and match up with the LaScala's characteristics. A kinda of best matched scenario for sound and only sound. I can have it loud and unbearable but I would like it loud and fantastic sounding and soft and fantastic sounding! :)

I have all the power I need in the Kenwood amp and my Sony, on top of that I also have a 200 watt/Ch  amp to hook to them if I wanted to.

Most people are telling me that if I want the best sound I need to go tubes, while that may be true I want simplicity and ease and stay with in my comfort zone of Solid State gear. I will check into the Yamaha stuff that was mentioned and I do honestly appreciate the feedback and advice that you are all giving to the new guy on the block. Awesome to see, thanks, Greg.

Edited by gfong
  • Like 2

I'm not trying to get caught up in the higher watts game, I am looking for a well suited Solid State receiver, amp, separate units, integrated amp that will work with the LaScala's. A kinda of best matched scenario. I have all the power I need in the Kenwood amp and my Sony, on top of that I also have a 200 watt/Ch  amp to hook to them if I wanted to.

Most people are telling me that if I want the best sound I need to go tubes, while that may be true I want simplicity and ease and stay with in my comfort zone of Solid State gear. I will check into the Yamaha stuff that was mentioned and I do honestly appreciate the feedback and advice that you are all giving to the new guy on the block. Awesome to see, thanks, Greg.

Check out the amp I PM'd you about... Dirt cheap, all the power you need, and I think you will really like it.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to get caught up in the higher watts game, I am looking for a well suited Solid State receiver, amp, separate units, integrated amp that will work and match up with the LaScala's characteristics. A kinda of best matched scenario for sound and only sound. I can have it loud and unbearable but I would like it loud and fantastic sounding and soft and fantastic sounding!

Have a line on the NAD 356BEE going to listen tomorrow

I am not a NAD "fanboy", okay maybe I am but their integrated amps(and receivers, pre/pros, amps) sound wonderful with Heritage as well as Reference.

Bill

• Like 2

I'm not trying to get caught up in the higher watts game, I am looking for a well suited Solid State receiver, amp, separate units, integrated amp that will work and match up with the LaScala's characteristics. A kinda of best matched scenario for sound and only sound. I can have it loud and unbearable but I would like it loud and fantastic sounding and soft and fantastic sounding!

Have a line on the NAD 356BEE going to listen tomorrow

I am not a NAD "fanboy", okay maybe I am but their integrated amps(and receivers, pre/pros, amps) sound wonderful with Heritage as well as Reference.

Bill

Too funny man... anyway that is why I am going to audition one tomorrow. Will report back. I wont be able to listen to them on La Scala's but will ask them to play on a very efficient speaker. I am going to this place http://www.targethifi.com/ I bought a turntable a few years ago from them and they deal with NAD, he also said he has some other suggestions. Ears wide open and mind! :) 

Thanks again. Greg

Edited by gfong
  • Like 1

Just curious, are new Receivers even using Class A/B anymore... Or have they all switched to class D amps? 

The logic behind Class A is simple, but hot.

AB is simple, but the first units had transition problems, I think measured as slew rate and TIM.

A at low Watt then AB seems state of the art.

Class D with quantization error, seems like a "Green Amp" solution, or at least a cheap one with the star?

• Like 1

AB is simple, but the first units had transition problems, I think measured as slew rate and TIM.

Class D with quantization error, seems like a "Green Amp" solution, or at least a cheap one with the star?

Your response made me very interested into what is out there...

HK3700...

The AVR 3700 utilizes digital-switching Class D amplifiers to generate its power. Since Class D amplifiers operate more efficiently than A/B designs, they don’t require the large power transformers and supply capacitors needed for traditional amp topologies, resulting in a much lower weight and energy-saving design. H/K’s touts its take on Class D as being eco-friendly, and compared to Class A/B amplifiers, it certainly is.

My Yamaha P2500s, and P7000s pro amps also use other than A/B amps... I can't find the info now but it was something other than class "D" i believe, but the reviews say it sounds as good as class A/B.

All I know is they are doing the job I purchased them for and sound great to me. I have no way to compare them to my Denon 4520 as we are biamping, but I believe the Denon is also using "D" class amps.

Edited by ellisr63

Don't rule out 2.1 with LaScalas. The best I have listened to is LS with a quality subwoofer. If I were you I would make sure I had subwoofer output. JMO

• Like 2

Don't rule out 2.1 with LaScalas. The best I have listened to is LS with a quality subwoofer. If I were you I would make sure I had subwoofer output. JMO

If he doesn't get sub out... I think an inexpensive option would be a 2x4 MiniDSP to route the bass at the desired frequency to the sub amp.

Your response made me very interested into what is out there...

HK3700...

The AVR 3700 utilizes digital-switching Class D amplifiers to generate its power. Since Class D amplifiers operate more efficiently than A/B designs, they don’t require the large power transformers and supply capacitors needed for traditional amp topologies, resulting in a much lower weight and energy-saving design. H/K’s touts its take on Class D as being eco-friendly, and compared to Class A/B amplifiers, it certainly is.

My Yamaha P2500s, and P7000s pro amps also use other than A/B amps... I can't find the info now but it was something other than class "D" i believe, but the reviews say it sounds as good as class A/B.

All I know is they are doing the job I purchased them for and sound great to me. I have no way to compare them to my Denon 4520 as we are biamping, but I believe the Denon is also using "D" class amps.

Reading the reviews and web site the 2500S is a Class D with dual power supplies, probably switching power supplies which don't use a large transformer, they are designed to pump out lots of Watts to support their club speakers. Specs are scarce for the amps, it's watts.

• Like 1

Well the decision was made... I even tested out a few Jolida tube amps as well. Although they sounded nice I still went back to the solid state integrated. Proud owner of a brand new NAD C 356BEE. Going to read the manual and she how she works. Thanks again for all the advice, would not be where I am right now without it.

post-60863-0-82600000-1425592411_thumb.j

• Like 1

Well the decision was made... I even tested out a few Jolida tube amps as well. Although they sounded nice I still went back to the solid state integrated. Proud owner of a brand new NAD C 356BEE. Going to read the manual and she how she works. Thanks again for all the advice, would not be where I am right now without it.

That is awesome. 

Did you get it with the DAC module or is it currently all analog?

Cool thing is that you can add it later is needed.

c356%202.jpg

Bill

• Like 1

fong, I wish you could have heard that Pioneer 1080 with your LaScala's, its unbelievable...Roost

Gonna keep an eye out for it and if found at a good price will grab it to try it. Thanks again