Recommend a 2 channel SS receiver for La Scalas

gfong

I'm with HogFan on this one, vintage on vintage that can take down most of the new fangled jobs ;) Matter a fact Hog, let me know if you ever decide to let one of those 430's go :D 

I certainly will!  One of the 430's is just collecting dust now, but the other one is in use....as well as the 730.

I know the prices on these units have increased a bit recently, but in the grand scheme of things.....a 430 for say $150 or a 730 for $200 or so.....for that money (with the performance), what else is out there?

• Like 1

Is the price inline with what you guys would expect from a Harman Kardon 730? Works out to be approx $220 US. Only concern is the statement I put in bold, or should I even be concerned about it? Thanks all.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1049467112

This unit has been professionally serviced with clean bill of health,sounding excellent*Select problematic capacitors on driver boards were replaced with top quality caps for long life of beautiful sound* 

Note: Sorry about my first post in this thread, my Sony AVR is a Sony STR-DA5300ES 7.1 not a 5400, I was thinking of the SACD player model # when posting. My my other AVR is a Kenwood VR-6070 6.1 THX Select.

Edited by gfong

If 2-channel is your primary goal here, I would not hesitate to power a pair of LaScalas with this.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649181013-nad-356bee/

649181013_thumb_9789c3a79088886d9ac123f4649181013_thumb_c134600fae4460307d6f7111649181013_thumb_987f61ba8d9e9fba80945705

Bill

If $600.00 is a little too much $$$ for the above NAD C356BEE, then maybe $400.00 for the below NAD C355BEE would be better.

The 355 and 356 are practically the same unit.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649181221-nad-c-355bee-integrated-amplifier-w-remote/

649181221_thumb_3d9ab6d9d8a9c6eae89b0e55649181221_thumb_94111d693e7677746a30f3a5649181221_thumb_67f0b2526993f9f52dd579c4649181221_thumb_7a094cf7269362c83e3698ad

Bill

• Like 1

Is the price inline with what you guys would expect from a Harman Kardon 730? Works out to be approx $220 US. Only concern is the statement I put in bold, or should I even be concerned about it? Thanks all.

This unit has been professionally serviced with clean bill of health,sounding excellent*Select problematic capacitors on driver boards were replaced with top quality caps for long life of beautiful sound* 

Note: Sorry about my first post in this thread, my Sony AVR is a Sony STR-DA5300ES 7.1 not a 5400, I was thinking of the SACD player model # when posting. My my other AVR is a Kenwood VR-6070 6.1 THX Select.

If you have read the reviews on the 730s on these boards and like what you read, what's a couple of hundred dollars. you can resell it quickly if you don't like the sound, check the sold prices on the auction site.

just checked the sold prices, $200 is a fair price if in good working order and good cosmetic condition. If they re-capped it great!

• Like 1

If you have read the reviews on the 730s on these boards and like what you read, what's a couple of hundred dollars. you can resell it quickly if you don't like the sound, check the sold prices on the auction site.

just checked the sold prices, $200 is a fair price if in good working order and good cosmetic condition. If they re-capped it great!

The reviews on the site and else where are what has me interested and you are 100% correct about the $200.00. Maybe I am being too cautious on older gear. Will inquire about this one, thanks. Also thanks for the tip on searching sold prices. 

Edited by gfong

The reviews on the site and else where are what has me interested and you are 100% correct about the $200.00. Maybe I am being too cautious on older gear. Will inquire about this one, thanks. Also thanks for the tip on searching sold prices. 

If its local pick up, take a CD you know full range acoustic with female vocals and give it a listen. If it checks out pull the trigger? Ronstadt Skylark tells me everything I need to know in less than 3 minutes.

• Like 1

Yamaha is tough to beat in my ear. Great detail with modern music. The best of their stereo receivers is about $500. It is the R-S700. If you want to go separates, Yamaha does offer integrated amps, and you can name a price there. They run between about $350 - $7000. If you want t stream stuff, they also offer a network receiver, the R-N500.

Bryant     

• Like 2

I have a Denon AVR-5600 I am willing to sell for $200 plus shipping. It is a 5.1 receiver and was pretty much the flagship in 1999, but that was 1999. It is an honest 140 wpc workhorse, though. Tough to find a receiver for that amount of money with that power. It is all but useless as a home theater receiver, but would be a pretty awesome stereo receiver.

Bryant

OP, the sound you are looking for with those LaScala's can be found with any of the big Pioneer SX receivers. I have two sets of Scala's as well as nearly all the other Heritage lineup, and over the years have tried pretty much all the amps mentioned and several more, for some reason the pioneer's just sound better than anything other than Mcintosh. If you were close you could barrow one and see for yourself, you can also run your serius satellite through them as I have one hooked up that runs 24-7 in the shop. Look for sx 950/980 1050/1080 etc, the sound of this combination, well I cant find anything better...Roost

OP, the sound you are looking for with those LaScala's can be found with any of the big Pioneer SX receivers. I have two sets of Scala's as well as nearly all the other Heritage lineup, and over the years have tried pretty much all the amps mentioned and several more, for some reason the pioneer's just sound better than anything other than Mcintosh. If you were close you could barrow one and see for yourself, you can also run your serius satellite through them as I have one hooked up that runs 24-7 in the shop. Look for sx 950/980 1050/1080 etc, the sound of this combination, well I cant find anything better...Roost

The worst paring is Mac and LaScalas??

Edited by Bubo

The worst paring in Mac and LaScalas??

no no, my experience is Mac is the top, but most wont spend the money, that being said, Pioneer is next, just my opinion after 35 years of buying selling and trading

Still looking around at the suggestions everyone has made. Much appreciated. I don't need another AVR but thanks anyway. Only looking for 2 channel. Have a line on the NAD 356BEE going to listen tomorrow, found a Pioneer 1080 for 600 us and a Harman Kardon 730 that I mentioned before. No rush as my 2002 Kenwood 6070 THX AVR works not too shabby for what it is.

One of the older Yamaha Receivers or integrated amps with Class A power would be great for a pair of LaScalas.

So true!  My 'Scalas have always been powered by Yamaha 'Natural Sound' int amps; a CA-1000 for many years and currently a CA-2010.  Good luck on your search!

~

• Like 1

Still looking around at the suggestions everyone has made. Much appreciated. I don't need another AVR but thanks anyway. Only looking for 2 channel. Have a line on the NAD 356BEE going to listen tomorrow, found a Pioneer 1080 for 600 us and a Harman Kardon 730 that I mentioned before. No rush as my 2002 Kenwood 6070 THX AVR works not too shabby for what it is.

Actually, I have been looking at the Parasound products, and noticed their 2 channel THX Ultra rated amps used go for $250. The THX rating means something.  I think the amps are around 200-250 W each channel. Their web site has all the info on the disc units incl dates of mfg.  Worth a read.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/99032-thx-scam.html

Actually, I have been looking at the Parasound products, and noticed their 2 channel THX Ultra rated amps used go for $250. The THX rating means something.  I think the amps are around 200-250 W each channel. Their web site has all the info on the disc units incl dates of mfg.  Worth a read.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/99032-thx-scam.html

Way overkill for his LaScalas, plus he will be operating the amp at a higher distortion area of the amps design. I would just get a good 25 wpc stereo amp or receiver... That is why I suggested the Yamaja class A amps that were built into their Receivers, and integrated amps. He would then be operating in their designed low distortion area.

• Like 1