Tour of Wakejunkie's Home Theater (Lots of Pics)

Youthman

We removed the Denon from it's position and replaced it with an Onkyo TX-NR1008

First of all it has been a great visit with my best friend Youthman. 

It has been great to have him here to visit, and a great help getting some things done I am having trouble with.

I appreciate all the Prayers.  You guys are awesome.  It was encouraging to see all the comments from people pulling for me.

I am proud to be part of the brotherhood of nerds.  (No Offence intended. I really am proud)

I am getting better and would appreciate the continued prayers as I continue to heal.

The new Onkyo TX-NR1008 replaced the Denon AVR-791 in the HT. The Denon replaced a 10 year old cheap Sony upstairs connected to the Heresy's in the Living Room.  The Sony was installed in the HT rack as the second receiver in the HT and will eventually power the SB-2 bookshelves in the pool table area.  This will allow music at the pool table during Xbox or other uses of the main system.

The Onkyo was surprising in how much of an upgrade it was.  90W vs 135W was expected to be a difference, but I think it is more than just that.  The Audyssey on the Onkyo  was much better than anything the Denon had.  The Denon mic doesn't work for some reason, and other brand setup mics I have tried didn't work.  I set levels with an SPL on the Denon, but it never sounded as good as the Onkyo.  The only thing I did after running Audyssey on the Onkyo was manually adjust the sub levels with the SPL.  Audyssey apparently is scared of IB subs and had them very low.

The difference in sound quality was surprising.  Even though the Onkyo is not the amp for the subs they still sounded better... It is hard to describe.  Tighter and cleaner Bass.  The bass was noticeable, but not as much as the highs. That was a big difference.  The RF-7iis sounded so much brighter.  They reminded me of the experience I felt when listening to Youthman's LaScala's.  I'm not trying to compare the 7ii's to the LaScala's, but the supper bright and clear sound reminded me of the LaScala sound. It definitely had Better instrument separation and more powerful vocals than with the Denon.

I honestly never knew there was anything lacking in the Denon, but the Onkyo really showed it up.

• Like 6

• Moderators
My dad had suffered a stroke as well, but he is gone now due to causes unrelated to his stroke. I have some sense of what Wakejunkie may be going through. I want Wakejunkie to know that the mind is an incredible thing, and my dad made an almost complete recovery from his. When part of brain is affected by the stroke, it re-routes the neuro-pathways and finds new ways to process the information.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your Father.  It is amazing how the brain is able to "rebuld" itself when parts have suffered an injury. 

I loved the panoramic view of the room, you really show cased Wake's room nicely

My hope in this thread was to capture the beauty and elegance of Wake's room.  It truly is something that has to be experienced to thoroughly appreciate.

When he raced dirt bikes, he and I both remember the 1st time he got the breath knocked out of him. As we all know, its scares the hell out of ya. I tell him theres just some things a person has to experience to really know what its like. IB, in my opinion is one of those. Just try to explain to someone that has never had the breath knocked out of them what it feels like. No matter how you explain it hurts and you think your going to die, they just wont understand until they get the breath knocked out of them. Then they get it.

That's a great analogy.  I'm trying to figure out if Shaun will notice I put one of his IB sub s in my suitcase.  I'm not really concerned about him catching me stealing his sub, I'm worried the plane won't fly straight with this beast. :lol:

It's amazing what and extra octave and a half or so will do to the bottom end isn't it? ;)

I'm feeling notes that simply do not exist in my current setup.  I love the Dual RSW-15's but being able to hit those incredibly low notes and to deliver them with shere power and authority is impressive to say the least.  Let's just say I smile a lot during demos.  :D

First class room for sure, I would never leave!

They are so acomodating to guest, I know I am welcome to stay as long as I want.  It's tempting to to move in for sure.

• Like 1

• Moderators

This trip has been unique to all previous visits to Wake in that I came alone without my family or my student ministry.  We knew we had a few projects we wanted to work on while I was here. 

After a few days delay due to weather, we were able to pick up the Onkyo TX-NR1008 that I shipped to Wake.  Yesterday, we installed it and ran Audyssey.  It was immediately apparent that the Onkyo had a brighter, clearer sound than the Denon (and the Denon sounded great).  The Onkyo has definitely been a very nice upgrade to wake's previous Denon. 

Since most Onkyo's tend to run hot, we spent awhile rearranging the units in his Audio Rack to be able to place the Onkyo at the top of the rack.  Inside the rack, there is a huge fan that sucks up the hot air that rises from the rack.  This should really help keep the Onkyo cool and hopefully will add to it's longevity.

home-theater-media-rack2.jpg

home-theater-media-rack3.jpg

We moved the Denon upstairs to replace a really old Sony.  We removed all of the equipment and while we were at I thought it would be great to offer some cable management to wake's living room setup.  What I thought would be an hour process, ended up taking much longer but I told Shaun....this is why most people do not bother.  To do it right, it is very time consuming and tedious but when his wife says this morning during breakfast, "That looks so much better.  It doesn't look like a rat's nest", it makes it TOTALLY worth the effort.  What's the saying?  "Happy wife....happy life.".  Momma is REALLY happy with the Onkyo.  Shaun said last night as he climbed into bed at 2am, she woke up and said, "Everything sounds amazing downstairs".

• Like 3

• Moderators

Wake's entire HT is controlled by the Harmony One remote.  I've owned the Harmony One for a few years and absolutely love it!  It's super easy to setup through the Harmony software.  With it, you can setup "Activities" like "Watch a Movie" and with the press of a single button, the Harmony One will turn on your receiver, select the correct input, turn on your TV or Projector, set the correct input for it etc.  Likewise, hitting the "Power" button on the Harmony will power down all of your equipment.  This makes it great for the wife and kids that may not know which inputs and settings for all of the gear. 

In typical Wake fashion, he spent many hours setting up his Harmony and adding some really cool sequences.

For example, he created a macro in the Harmony so that when he hits the "Play" button on the remote, the lights turn off.  If you need to pause during the movie, pressing the "Pause" button will of course pause the movie, but it will activate one of the 4 "Scenes" that have been programmed into the Lutron Spacer system to bring the lights up enough to see and move around the room safely.

He has added 4 scenes for lighting and created 6 custom touch screen buttons for the Harmony One.

All On & All Off

Scene 1 - Movie:  All lights at 0% except for a few can in the back of the room near the pool table.  Just enought light to walk around without being in total darkness.

Scene 2 - Bar:  Same as scene 1 but adds dim lighting over the "Bar Table" which is perfect for Friday Movie Nights.

Scene 3 - Lights Up:  Lights are around 50%.  This is perfect for music listening and creates a very cool atmosphere highlighting the stonework.

Scene 4 - Game:  Football Party Lighting.  Similar to Scene 2 but more lighting over the pool table area.  This is enough room to eat, have conversation yet dark enough to allow a great picture on the screen.

harmony-one-1.jpg

harmony-one-2.jpg

Wake can controll the lighting from the Harmony or access any one of the 4 Lighting Scenes from one of two Master Controls that have been placed at the entrance to the HT and at the front of the room next to the Equipment Rack.

lutron1.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators

During my stay, we watched two complete movies.  On Friday, we watched the A-Team.  I had not seen it yet.  It was a fun movie with a lot funny moments that brought back a sense of nostalgia from my childhood watching the show.  There were a few scenes I recall where the IB subs were able to flex their muscles (C130 plane scenes, exploding drones, tank firing while falling from a parachute, helicopter fight scene) but the best LFE during he movie was at Port of Los Angeles scene at the end of the movie.  Cars flipping, lots of explosions and some really low LFE when the ship blows up.  I think we shook the neighbor's house when the shipping containers came crashing down.  :lol:

On Saturday, we watched Star Trek (2009 version).  I've never been a Trekie but it's hard not to like this action packed movie when you have a HT setup like wake's.  There are several scenes that provide plenty of LFE.  Not my favorite type of movie but it was definitely enjoyable.

Right now as I type, wake is going through a few scenes on the Hulk.  Holy Crap!!!  There is some absolutely SERIOUS LFE in this movie.  You better have some serious capable subs during the Sonic Canon scene.  Afterwards, we walked into his shop to find a 4' PVC pipe that had "walked" lengthwise (it didn't roll) off of the top shelf.  Apparently that's what you have to expect when having IB Subs of this caliber.  Somehow I doubt your homeowner's insurance will cover damage to the structure of your home from LFE.  One thing is for sure....it will definitely question the integrity of your walls. :D 

• Like 2

• Moderators

As my time with wake is almost over, I wanted to add a few more final thoughts.

We hear a lot in the forum that the Reference Series is primarily geared for HT but I can assure you wake's RF-7's system sounds absolutely fantastic for both HT AND for Music.  They are extremely detailed and his Onkyo TX-NR1008 has no trouble powering all 7 of his speakers.  Will an amp improve the sound?  Maybe.  Do I feel his system is lacking in any capacity?  Absolutely not.  I have owned my share of both Heritage and Reference speakers and IMO, both can provide amazing sound when setup properly.

Also, I have developed a new appreciation for their 8' Beanbag.  It's amazingly comfortable and easily accomodates their entire family.  They use it much more than the rear HT Seating and now I know why.  It's close enough to the screen to provide a very immersive experience. 

Shaun has spent many hours creating a 1st Class Home Theater that is enjoyed daily by his family and often with both invited and uninvited guests. :D

It has truly been a treat to hang out in his HT for the past few days listening to music and watching movies and I count it both a blessing and a privilege to be one of his guests of his HT.

• Like 4

This trip has been unique to all previous visits to Wake in that I came alone without my family or my student ministry.  We knew we had a few projects we wanted to work on while I was here. 

After a few days delay due to weather, we were able to pick up the Onkyo TX-NR1008 that I shipped to Wake.  Yesterday, we installed it and ran Audyssey.  It was immediately apparent that the Onkyo had a brighter, clearer sound than the Denon (and the Denon sounded great).  The Onkyo has definitely been a very nice upgrade to wake's previous Denon. 

Since most Onkyo's tend to run hot, we spent awhile rearranging the units in his Audio Rack to be able to place the Onkyo at the top of the rack.  Inside the rack, there is a huge fan that sucks up the hot air that rises from the rack.  This should really help keep the Onkyo cool and hopefully will add to it's longevity.

home-theater-media-rack2.jpg

home-theater-media-rack3.jpg

We moved the Denon upstairs to replace a really old Sony.  We removed all of the equipment and while we were at I thought it would be great to offer some cable management to wake's living room setup.  What I thought would be an hour process, ended up taking much longer but I told Shaun....this is why most people do not bother.  To do it right, it is very time consuming and tedious but when his wife says this morning during breakfast, "That looks so much better.  It doesn't look like a rat's nest", it makes it TOTALLY worth the effort.  What's the saying?  "Happy wife....happy life.".  Momma is REALLY happy with the Onkyo.  Shaun said last night as he climbed into bed at 2am, she woke up and said, "Everything sounds amazing downstairs".

the tripplite surge protector is a very cool device -

• Moderators

With all of the work we did over the last few days, wake allowed me to use the shower in their master bath that he remodeled.  This is not your typical shower.  This is one sweet setup!  Not only does it look beautiful, and the multiple shower heads feel extremely relaxing, it's got several cool factors. 

Before jumping into the shower, I loaded up Spotify and connected to his network.  Wake installed a dedicated receiver for the bathroom that allows you to connect your phone to the system via Blutooth.  Most bathroom sound systems have in ceiling speakers but Shaun's is the first that I have ever seen that had a Klipsch in ceiling PLUS a 10" subwoofer installed in the ceiling!  Now it's typical for me to sing in the shower but this was the first time that I have ever danced in the shower.  :lol:  Having clear highs PLUS bass thumping in the shower is pretty stinking amazing. 

bathroom2.jpg

bathroom5.jpg

bathroom3.jpg

And if that wasn't enough coolness, wake installed a 37" LED TV mounted behind glass to protect from water exposure.  Oh yeah......the TV is connected to the Xbox too so Shaun's wife can enjoy playing Shadows of Mordor in the jacuzzi.  Now that is a pimped out bathroom!  :lol:

bathroom4.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators

What is being used to cool the rack?

The rack is very open in the back with several feet of open space.  The return air pulls through the rack and also contains a 10" network cabinet cooling fan at the very top of the rack directly above the Onkyo that helps remove heat from the rack.

• Like 1

With all of the work we did over the last few days, wake allowed me to use the shower in their master bath that he remodeled.  This is not your typical shower.  This is one sweet setup!  Not only does it look beautiful, and the multiple shower heads feel extremely relaxing, it's got several cool factors. 

Before jumping into the shower, I loaded up Spotify and connected to his network.  Wake installed a dedicated receiver for the bathroom that allows you to connect your phone to the system via Blutooth.  Most bathroom sound systems have in ceiling speakers but Shaun's is the first that I have ever seen that had a Klipsch in ceiling PLUS a 10" subwoofer installed in the ceiling!  Now it's typical for me to sing in the shower but this was the first time that I have ever danced in the shower.  :lol:  Having clear highs PLUS bass thumping in the shower is pretty stinking amazing. 

bathroom2.jpg

bathroom5.jpg

bathroom3.jpg

And if that wasn't enough coolness, wake installed a 37" LED TV mounted behind glass to protect from water exposure.  Oh yeah......the TV is connected to the Xbox too so Shaun's wife can enjoy playing Shadows of Mordor in the jacuzzi.  Now that is a pimped out bathroom!  :lol:

bathroom4.jpg

can you beam me up scotty -

• Like 1