Custom Senergy F-3 enclosures and crossovers...

BACKPORCH

Hello, 

I'm new to the site. I don't have the high end or vintage equipment that I see a lot of here. What I do have is a Klipsch Senergy 5.1 setup w/ the large F-3 floor-standers that I bought from best buy years ago.

I don't have the paperwork on these any longer so I'm not sure of correct #'s and names.

Anyway, what I'm doing is building a DIY custom setup and using the components from this set. I called Klipsch and ordered 4 more of the 8" drivers and 2 more of the center channel drivers. Each of the 8" speakers will be in separate individual enclosures (4 on each side FL & FR).  Do I need to buy more crossovers for the additional speakers or can I splice the in with the existing crossovers? 

Thanks for any advice on this!

welcome. best to start with goals a plan and the information that you need.

how can others help you when you don't know?

you have already started so it is a little late to be asking ask.

when you lack experience it is best to follow a known plan or project.

see what you can make of your project/ideas and you will learn a lot even if it is not at all what you wanted in the end.

best regards Moray James.

I guess I thought I laid it out pretty well, but here goes again. Please be patient with me.

I'm taking the 8" woofers out of my existing factory F-3 synergy enclosures and putting them in individual ported enclosures. Including the additional 8" woofers I ordered from Klipsch, there will be a total of 8 individual enclosures (4 on each side of my tv) . These enclosures will be stacked on top of each other with adjustable brackets between each one so that I can aim them in any direction I choose.From top to bottom there will be 8"- 8" - tweeter- 8"- 8" for a total of 5 seperate enclosures. I'm also adding 2 more center channel woofers to the center channel in a custom enclosure.

My question is this; will the existing crossover from the factory f-3's support 2 additional 8" woofers or do I need to buy 2 more (one for each side) to wire them basically the same as the factory did. In another words instead of one crossover per side or front channel, do I need two per side or front channel.

I hope that explains it. Thanks again for your patience.

This sounds like it comes from the school of thought where if some is good more is better and too many is perfect. You are wasting your time effort and money. you may well blow up your speakers and your amp. I think that you should get a few good books on speaker design and read them. Buy a better surround system if you don't like the one that you have now to hold you til you can build some of your own. then again most builders love what they build so if you are undaunted go for it. there is just too much to go into to try and explain why what you are suggesting is a bad idea. I don't mean to be negative but you need to be realistic. everybody starts somewhere why not try building some known designs before you jump into designing your own stuff? Listen to a lot of speakers and find the ones you like best and figure out why they sound the way the do. listen to some Klipsch higher up in the food chain see what you think of them. if yo have the space the Heritage speakers are most impressive. Best regards Moray James.

Well, it may turn out to be a "Train Wreck"! But all I ask for was an opinion on whether crossovers could serve the purpose for four speakers as they do for two. I'm new to the home stereo thing but have built custom enclosures for cars for many years. I know how to tune and manipulate the sound and performance of a speaker with the design of the enclosure. Sorry it was to much trouble for you guys to give your opinion on the crossovers and not the idea. Thanks for your time anyway!

you have a bit of a skill for wasting time. you tell people nothing "hey I have this idea" "I have a bunch of drivers I want to put into a custom box" "do I need more crossovers or can I splice these into the existing ones?" You don't say how you plan to do what you want to do what impedance you expect to end up with or even why you want to do all this. So at first glance it is to be expected that you probably don't have any experience doing this. Home audio is not car audio. I mentioned blowing up spekaers or amps but you disregard my comment and plow ahead with more of the same so I figure you have no idea of where you are going or how to get there. Home theater receivers don't have the ability of driving ultra low impedance loads like car amps do home amps want to see six or more ohms and four ohms is very low for most theater amps. you were asked what you wanted to do and why. No response. the passive crossovers in your speakers will not function at the correct frequency if you radically change the impedance of the speakers this is not an active system. Sounds like you already know lots about speaker design but for a very different application and with very different tools. I would guess that maybe all you need is a few really good subwoofers, I don't know you have not said. What is your goal hear what is it that you expect to achieve? I have tried to provide an answer based on what I see and what you say. I am spending time but you are getting upset with me and as far as I can see you are not addressing the points that I am making. If you want to run multiple amps with active crossovers then there are a good number of members here who can help but you have to be specific as to what it is that you want to do. Having wall of speakers is not going to work properly with a HT system that is not what they were designed to operate with, it won't sound right. Like I said there are so many things going on here it is a bit of a mine field to simply wade into you said " My question is this; will the existing crossover from the factory f-3's support 2 additional 8" woofers or do I need to buy 2 more (one for each side) to wire them basically the same as the factory did?" you need to wire them as the factory did if you hook up a bunch of parallel speakers to your HT amp it may get very upset at the low impedance load and if it is too lo it will shut down or die. so please be careful.That's all I got for you BP what about you? Best regards Moray James.

The reason this seems not to be getting good responses is because it is not a sound way to move in designing a HT or 2 ch system.  The money would be better spent on getting two good mains and a center or synergistic gear.  Your Synergy speakers could be perfect for what you want with proper setup. I don't consider my Icon speaker cheap, they sound pretty darn good.

Define what you are looking for or lack

Search alternatives to get you there.

even expensive speakers and amps can sound bad if not setup properly and match with the right supporting gear.  Also, some inexpensive system can sound very nice when setup and matched with the right gear.

We all started down the scale until we found what makes us happy, not someone else.

Edited by derrickdj1

simple plans are the best but simple is a lot harder to do than it looks or seem. If you don't share then I can't read your mind. Somebody here can help you if you tell them what it is you want to do and why you want to do it. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

I guess the best way to explain what I'm doing is basically adding High fronts with a little more punch than standard bookshelf speakers. Only difference is that they will share a tweeter with the lower fronts or in reality, they high fronts would just be two 8" speakers. I'm not looking for the ultimate clean sound or perfect pitch horns, I'm just beefing things up a little bit for when I'm listening to music. I'm pretty satisfied with the way these speakers perform so I purchased a few more and thought I'd build a radical looking set of enclosures for them. One thing that might help also is that I have 5.1 speaker set and a 7.1 or if I wish 7.2 Denon receiver that I would like to take advantage of the extra channels. I've already hooked my existing f-3's to the high front channels and they sound just as good so I figured why not add twice as many by using all of the channels which are rated at around 185 watts per channel. I originally was thinking that I could bridge the channels like a car amp but after reading your comment I realized that the HT doesn't work the same and the easiest thing to do is get a couple of factory crossovers and do it like the factory did. I may still be thinking wrong so feel free to enlighten me. Thanks for your help. 

It sounds like you want to make a speaker with dual woofers out of a speaker that has only one. When you add the second woofer the resistance the crossover sees will change either up or down depending on how you wire the woofers from the crossover. I'm not an electronics guy but I believe this will change the crossover points and change the overall resistance of the entire unit. Someone may chime in on the relative safety of the system by doing so but I believe the speaker components would survive. As for the amp, it would depend on how the resistance of the speakers were affected by doing so.

With that being the case you could do a series/parellel hookup and maintain the woofer resistance. Basically a line array connection of the woofers. You could maintain resistance relatively close to the original arrangement. This shouldn't affect the overall impedance.