Carbonite & High Resolution files?

DizRotus

Last Friday I had to replace the PC that I use for my business.  Carbonite has backed up my important files for years.  As you can imagine, it's a huge headache getting a new PC into service.

Last evening it finally occurred to me that Carbonite needed to be installed on the new PC.  Fortunately, I've not yet had to use Carbonite to restore any lost files.  As I observed the green dots appearing next to files, indicating that Carbonite had backed up the files, I wondered whether a high resolution FLAC  file restored from Carbonite is the equivalent of the original file.

I suspect Carbonite would assure me it is.  But I wonder if a data compression process, while it might be fine for most files, would compromise high resolution audio files, such as HDTracks, Pono, etc.

Edited by DizRotus

I don't know the real answer but, I would suspect it should be the same.  Even if the compressed a file there should be a software program to restore it to the original file type for playback on your system.  Do a listening test and see what you think.

I'll try that, but these 66 yo ears might not be able to discern a difference that younger ears could spot immediately.

you'd have to see it in wave form to know whether or not anything has changed. I tend to agree that the compression would not affect the overall file... but I don't have any evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Schu

File compression and compression in audio are not the same thing at all.  A compressed file is restored in its complete form.  I assume that is what online backup sites do... merely compress the files to save space on their servers.  

True audio compression (dynamic range) and data compression are not the same.  Only lossless data compression restores to complete form, mp3 the common audio data compression format is not lossless.  The easy way to verify that no data has been lost in data compression or transmission is to do a checksum comparison, you can use md5 or sfv to compare the original file to the restored file, if the checksums are the same then no data has been lost, if they are different then the two files are not duplicates and some data has been lost or modified.

overall I agree, but to be honest, the digital world has another component that analog does not in your analogy, and that is one of compression... data compression. that means data can be condensed and reconstituted via an algorithm, but using another analogy, one of photography, once a photograph is saved in jpeg format, the data loss is not only permanent it is exponential if the photo is saved over and over in that compressed format.

of course, no one wanting to save a photo for later retrieval at full resolution would use jpeg, but that was only an analogy.

overall I agree, but to be honest, the digital world has another component that analog does not in your analogy, and that is one of compression... data compression. that means data can be condensed and reconstituted via an algorithm, but using another analogy, one of photography, once a photograph is saved in jpeg format, the data loss is not only permanent it is exponential if the photo is saved over and over in that compressed format.

of course, no one wanting to save a photo for later retrieval at full resolution would use jpeg, but that was only an analogy.

Yes, but once again that is CONTENT compression and not file compression.

Jpeg = mp3

Raw = flac/wav/lossless whatever

The act of copying between disks, file compression, ethernet cable swaps, etc.. None of that has any impact whatsoever on the data' integrity.

Oh yes... you are correct sir :)

And for what its worth...the first LP off the master is probably a lot cleaner than the one millionth copy off the press. In essence digital is MUCH BETTER for replication.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1