iNuke No Sound Question

Fizik

Received my iNuke today. Got everything hooked up, but I'm not getting any sound from it.

I went with RCA to 1/4 in adapters but they are stereo adapters and have two rings on them. But since the RCA is unbalanced would I need a mono adapter instead?

Looks like parts express recommends mono adapters.

Thanks

Edited by Fizik

I'm going from a single rca out of the receiver. That goes to a rca y cable, then the 1/4 adapters are on the end and plugged into the amp. From the amp is a pair of speakon cables with banana plugs on the end.

Amp is set to stereo, with a high pass at 20hz and a low pass at 120. The lfe filter on the receiver is set to 80hz.

Edited by Fizik

In a rush to get going over a weekend, I tried to convert a set of RCA cables by adding 1/4" TRS connectors, by bridging the ring and sleeve.  It sort of worked, but one channel would cut in and out.  A trip to Radio Shack (one of the last I'm afraid) found that the best I could do was get a pair of 1/4" TS connectors.  Once soldered in place, both channels now produce steady sound.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

It's fixed now. It was the adapters. Switched to a set on mono adapters and now I have sound.

Now sure the 3000dsp is enough power so I may be sending it back for a 6000dsp instead.

Any ideas how i can boost the input signal to the amp? Even if I turn the receiver up to +12 for the sub it still seems like it could be louder. Though I need to play with the amp settings more, its trickier since I don't own a windows computer.

Edited by Fizik

The I Nuke 3000 should deliver 820 watts per ch. into 4 ohms in a ideal world.  In real life terms you may be getting around 600 watts RMS.  That should be about right with most 12 drivers.  What is the RMS rating on the driver?

I use dual cab 18's with an I Nuke 6000 DSP.  Each driver is 1000 RMS/2000 Peak.  Some people report the amp to be around 2000 max.  In bridge mode on the I Nuke 3000 I have peaked up to around 2600 watts with one movie and my old Chase drivers.  I can't do that with the Ultimax drivers.  I do use the limiter and everything has been safe.

Why I can't with the Ultimax which is a better driver is because it digs deeper and the impedance load get's tougher.

I you using this for HT or music.  Try setting LS 12 in the FILTER 1  slot   under the third tab at 40 Hz and set the gain to 8.  This may save some headroom and give you all the impact for HT.  This is safe for vented and sealed sub.  Put on a good movies with LFE and see what you thing.  You don't need the 120 Hz  LPF.  I take it these are sealed subs. 

Depending on room size, don't worry much about extension.  Large rooms just won't have without a lot of sealed boxes.  Plenty of impact is in the 15-30 Hz area and it will not stress the amp as much.  You don't want much more power that the I Nuke 3000 to match the Xmax and X mech of the driver.

Edited by derrickdj1

You may want to increase the gain in your software of the inuke up to +12dB. You are connecting "pro" equipment to consumer equipment and the line level of the two is 12 dB different, best I can figure. If that sounds scary, you can always increase it a couple of dBs at a time, but mine never seemed to clip or anything, Looking at is as -4dB vs. +10dB seems like 14 dB. Well simple math doesn't exactly work out from my understanding. I read on another website there is a 12 dB gain between line levels of pro and consumer and the person who wrote it sounded quite knowledgeable, though I don't remember the website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

One other thing.... most HT receivers also offer a sub out level. Crank it up as well. Just make sure when you play it after going up on the gain level of the inuke DSP and dub out level that you aren't getting clipping........ where it sounds distorted. It wouldn't hurt your amp, most likely, but your sub driver would probably not like it much.

Bryant 

Bryant

What avr are you using?  Listing you gear would help others to know what you are working with.  Some consumer gear will have no trouble passing an adequate signal to the subs.  What is the trim in the avr?  There are things we don't know and need to be of more help.

Edited by derrickdj1

What avr are you using?  Listing you gear would help others to know what you are working with.  Some consumer gear with have no trouble passing an adequate signal to the subs.  What is the trim in the avr?  There are things we don't know and need to be of more help.

My setup is in my signature. But for music I tried the trim at 0 +6, 10, and 12. But when watching a blu-ray I had to turn it back down to 0.

You may want to increase the gain in your software of the inuke up to +12dB. You are connecting "pro" equipment to consumer equipment and the line level of the two is 12 dB different, best I can figure. If that sounds scary, you can always increase it a couple of dBs at a time, but mine never seemed to clip or anything, Looking at is as -4dB vs. +10dB seems like 14 dB. Well simple math doesn't exactly work out from my understanding. I read on another website there is a 12 dB gain between line levels of pro and consumer and the person who wrote it sounded quite knowledgeable, though I don't remember the website.

One other thing.... most HT receivers also offer a sub out level. Crank it up as well. Just make sure when you play it after going up on the gain level of the inuke DSP and dub out level that you aren't getting clipping........ where it sounds distorted. It wouldn't hurt your amp, most likely, but your sub driver would probably not like it much.

Bryant 

Bryant

Consumer level is -10dBV nominal and pro is +4dBu Trust the experts on this, its 12 dB difference.

Turning the trim in the avr near 0 is not necessarily bad.  Was it to lound or boomy?  Are you using any gain in the I Nuke software under filters/tab 2 or PEQ/tab 3?  People get the Cleanbox that Carl mentioned usually because the sub volume is way to low with some systems.  Out of curiostiy how high are the gain knobs turned up on the I Nuke?  Can you ever see the clip light(Red) on the amp?

Bryant 

Consumer level is -10dBV nominal and pro is +4dBu Trust the experts on this, its 12 dB difference.

11.79 dB actually, but who is counting ? :P Tough to know for certain what is actually being delivered though. I'm still trying to tune mine in to where I like it. I had an awful ground loop problem. Resolved the majority of it by running a wire from the receiver ground terminal to the fans guard screws on the inuke.

Bryant