Crites Service

geoffr

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Bob.  A consummate gentleman and expert on all things Klipsch.  I always suggest that those new to Heritage Klipsch consult Bob. 

Unbelievably, some years ago, just such a recommendation to a newbie elicited the following:

"DizRotus can you lighten up with the Bob Crite's endorsements........I personally like Bob....but you tend to have a degrading tone in your posts...I seen a lot of things over the last 8500 posts...stick around and you will know what I mean."

That self-appointed "expert" has gone away.  His 8,500+ post count equated in his mind to enough credibility to question endorsing Bob Crites.

Based on what you pasted in, the problem didn't appear to be with Bob or his services, but with you giving the appearance that you were "shilling" for him. I'm not saying this about you, but when the majority of someone's posts are used to steer business to a specific vendor, that's what it looks like (shilling).

Not really a response to Dean but some general thoughts I've had....

Shill

noun

1.  a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.

2.  a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

I'm assuming we can ignore the first definition here.  I guess we could stop and think about the 2nd to see if we fit that definition.  Perhaps I have been guilty of "loyalty" or even developing of "friendship" over the years here.  But my primary motivation is respect and appreciation for those who I have done business with here that I felt gave me great musical rewards for my money.  To varying degrees that includes Bob, Dean, Craig, Tom, Paul, James, among others and also many who had no financial interest.   I don't think anybody is getting rich here and are doing what they do for the love of it and the music.  If somebody does a good job at a fair price then I want to let everybody know because so many businesses out there are trying to screw us out of our money!

• Like 1

but with you giving the appearance that you were "shilling" for him. I'm not saying this about you, but when the majority of someone's posts are used to steer business to a specific vendor, that's what it looks like (shilling).

...and there are a few members on this forum doing just this.

Please notice I said "giving the appearance" of, and "that's what it looks like".

Craig refuses to post his thoughts on the last pair of crossovers I built for him. He won't do it because everyone knows we have a relationship, and he doesn't want to give the impression that he's part of my massive advertising campaign here - he also doesn't want to deal with the potential fallout from it. So, "shilling" can also be that kind of thing -

When I first started doing RF-7s, I did a lot of them. Every other day there was another review by someone. After about a month, a member said that enough was enough and that he was sick of seeing them. There were two members, that everytime someone bitched about the edgy quality of the highs, they would immediately jump in and tell the person to contact me. It looked bad. I sent emails out asking them to dial it down, and asked new RF-7 customers not to leave reviews.

This is why most forums have "no vendor" policies. I think Everyone here has done a great job of keeping the place relatively sane. All of the vendors here do great work, but no doubt, if you want something done in a timely manner, Bob is the man - I even use his services, he's actually my warranty repair shop!

It's really just a problem when you notice it's the same one or two people doing it all of the time, and it looks even worse when it's practically the only time they jump in.

I will add, at the apparent risk of accusal of shilling (ha ha), that I installed the xovers, hooked the Heresys up to my Fisher 400, put on a Blue Note Coltrane album, and absolutely love the improved sound. The soundstage really opened up.

I don't have any problems with Bob, But I will say I was not pleased with the Cornscala D's I purchased from him. I don't have a problem with Dean. He does what he does and good for both of them for doing what they do.

So in the end, what exactly was wrong with your Cornscala Ds ?

Knowing these details could help a great many, was it Design, circuit, componets ?

• Like 2

I'm just gonna say I didn't like the sound of them. I could go into a bevy of things I felt was not right but others would probably just try to refute most of it. and I don't want to be a drama starter. Maybe I had my mind made up that they would sound a certain way? and when they didn't I was bummed? I guess I felt that if I'm shelling out $2000 dollars that I was gonna have an awesome sounding set of speakers. And they were just way too dead and lifeless for my taste. Maybe that is some peoples cup of tea but I prefer that my speakers sound like the artist is right in my living room.  I don't hold any grudges, Life is too short for that. I still think Bob is a nice guy.

Edited by cradeldorf

I'm just gonna say I didn't like the sound of them. I could go into a bevy of things I felt was not right but others would probably just try to refute most of it. and I don't want to be a drama starter. Maybe I had my mind made up that they would sound a certain way? and when they didn't I was bummed? I guess I felt that if I'm shelling out $2000 dollars that I was gonna have an awesome sounding set of speakers. And they were just way too dead and lifeless for my taste. Maybe that is some peoples cup of tea but I prefer that my speakers sound like the artist is right in my living room.  I don't hold any grudges, Life is too short for that. I still think Bob is a nice guy.

I am curious about something. Did you buy Cornscalas without having auditioned that model before?

Edited by PrestonTom

I am curious about something. Did you buy Cornscalas without having auditioned that model before?

Those specific Cornscala's are 2-way and utilize a faital horn/driver.. unfortunately there aren't many (if any) places to audition those outside the living room of a fellow enthusiast with them.

• Like 1