Chorus II's to La Scalas, upgrade or lateral move?

Shodrewken

Horn loaded bass response while not a deep is far more accurate than bass reflex speakers.  The level of detail in the La Scala is amazing.  It boils down to what your listenening preferences are.  If you like rap and hip hop then the Chorus II's are for you.  If you like rock, jazz, etc the La Scala would be preferable.

• Like 2

Horn loaded bass response while not a deep is far more accurate than bass reflex speakers. The level of detail in the La Scala is amazing. It boils down to what your listenening preferences are. If you like rap and hip hop then the Chorus II's are for you. If you like rock, jazz, etc the La Scala would be preferable.

The level of detail that has been described about them is what interests me the most. Plus I've never heard horn loaded bass so I'm excited to hear that too.

Edited by Shodrewken

no offense intended... but saying "if you like rap & hip hop the chorus are for you"  is way off base.  thats implying they are only good for that kind of mucic, sorry but the chorus excell at every type of music & IMO are a better overall speaker than the lascala.... not as big, cost less & dont need tubes or high dollar gear to sound good.  lascalas are a great speaker but kind of limited in what they are good at.... mids, highs, "detail" yes,  good chest punding bass that is in rock, jazz, modern alternative & heavier rock etc, not so much.  unless you adjust tone controls or EQ to boost the bass, myself & many others feel they are actually lacking in the bass dept.  or at least "unbalanced" compared to their mids & highs.

in regards to the OP's question, i would say there is indeed a "difference" in SQ, not saying one is better than the other, thats a personal preference, however saying the chorus are only good or better if you like rap & hip hop is not a valid statement at all. also consider the cost of the lascalas, usually they are $1000-$1500 while chorus can be had for 600-800, sometimes less.  i would not say the LS are worth a grand more in sq.  do some research & see all the comments about the lacking bass of the LS, more often than not, people say they need a sub to balance them out.  they may have more "accurate" bass in theory, but you dont hear theory.

only saying my opinion of the 2 pairs of lascalas i have heard, they were nice & of course had very strong, if not overwhelming mids, but they dont have the balance of the chorus or forte speakers IMO.  chorus do everything good, if not great & ive only heard one pair on lesser quality gear than the lascalas.  definitly listn to them with music you are familiar with on your chorus before buying them.

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 4

no offense intended... but saying "if you like rap & hip hop the chorus are for you"  is way off base.  thats implying they are only good for that kind of mucic, sorry but the chorus excell at every type of music & IMO are a better overall speaker than the lascala.... not as big, cost less & dont need tubes or high dollar gear to sound good.  lascalas are a great speaker but kind of limited in what they are good at.... mids, highs, "detail" yes,  good chest punding bass that is in rock, jazz, modern alternative & heavier rock etc, not so much.  unless you adjust tone controls or EQ to boost the bass, myself & many others feel they are actually lacking in the bass dept.  or at least "unbalanced" compared to their mids & highs.

in regards to the OP's question, i would say there is indeed a "difference" in SQ, not saying one is better than the other, thats a personal preferance, however saying the chorus are only good or better if you like rap & hip hop is not a valid statement at all. also consider the cost of the lascalas, usually they are $1000-$1500 while chorus can be had for 600-800, sometimes less.  i would not say the LS are worth a grand more in sq.  do some research & see all the comments about the lacking bass of the LS, more often than not, people say they need a sub to balance them out.  they may have more "accurate" bass in theory, but you dont hear theory.

only saying my opinion of the 2 pairs of lascalas i have heard, they were nice & of course had very strong, if not overwhelming mids, but they dont have the balance of the chorus or forte speakers IMO.  chorus do everything good, if not great & ive only heard one pair on lesser quality gear than the lascalas.  definitly listn to them with music you are familiar with on your chorus before buying them.

Don't interpret my comments the wrong way.  What I was trying to convey was if you like bass heavy music (regardless of genre') he would obviously prefer the Chorus II's.  I know they sound good on all kinds of music.  I have owned a pair in the past.  You must own a pair to come off so offended.  P.S. you have never owned La Scala's if you are using the word limited in regards to their performance.

• Like 1

I went from a Chorus2/Forte2 five channel setup to an all LaScala, five channel setup... And I'd say yes, there is a noticeable difference (an improvement) in sound quality.

And whatever music you listen to, will, and this is just my opinion, sound better on the LaScala.

Coming from the Chorus 2 to a LaScala, you will lose about 20Hz or so on the lower end (35Hz-55Hz). BUT, the bass of the LaScala is very clean and has a certain "snap" to it... at all volumes.

From 60Hz on up, the LaScala pulls away. From the upper bass throughout the midrange, there's this "clear, clean, big" sound to the LaScala. And whether you have them in a corner (toed-in) or flush against the wall (long wall preferably), you'll get a nice big soundstage.

If you're currently using a subwoofer with your Chorus 2, then keep it around, particularly if you'll be using the LaScalas to listen to movies in a surround setup.

So I'd say yes... pick up the LaScalas and if possible compare them to your Chorus 2's. Only you can decide what sounds best to your ears in your room. But I'd bet you'll end up liking the LaScalas more.

Don't interpret my comments the wrong way.  What I was trying to convey was if you like bass heavy music (regardless of genre') he would obviously prefer the Chorus II's.  I know they sound good on all kinds of music.  I have owned a pair in the past.  You must own a pair to come off so offended.  P.S. you have never owned La Scala's if you are using the word limited in regards to their performance.

not offended at all...  likewise, "dont interpret my comments the wrong way."  i started my post with "no offense intended."  just found the hip hop & rap blanket statement kind of funny.  you must own lascalas to come off so offended....

while i dont own lascalas, i DO own k-horns, & i will still use the word "limited" or maybe a better term is unbalanced.  for as strong as the mids are, the bass is disproportionate.  this isnt just me, do a search on here or especially other non biased forums,  i frequently see people saying the lascala & even the might k-horn are, what i prefer to call not proportiante to the mids.  the mid & high sections are without a doubt overpowering.  especially when driven with "mid-fi" s/s gear.  if you have high dollar or tube amps & preamps etc then yes they are probably a better speaker, but for the averge joe with average gear, i still feel the chorus are a better "all around" speaker.  each has their attributes. 

just my opinion.   

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

if you have corners be patient and get Klipschorns. They technically take up even less room than the Chorus and offer all of the benefits of a horn loaded speaker with deep bass. I have had the following speakers in my house over the last few years to demo or I have owned them: Cornwall, Forte, RF-7II, RF-82II, and LaScala. My second favorite was the LaScala. A buddy now has them at his house less than a mile away. I loved them, but I love my Klipschorns a lot more. Now that I said that I do hope to replace my Forte's upstairs with some LaScalas when the discretionary funds make their way back to me next year. Only because I don't have corners upstairs.

Edited by Trentster5172

no offense intended... but saying "if you like rap & hip hop the chorus are for you"  is way off base.  thats implying they are only good for that kind of mucic, sorry but the chorus excell at every type of music

absolutely agree with this!  They are two different animals....unfortunately (or fortunately....) I really, really like them both. 

• Like 2

LaScalas vs: Chorus IIs,

The LaScalas play from 53Hz to 17KHz, the Chorus II play from 39Hz to 20KHz, so the Klipschorn at 35Hz has more Bass than either of them.

You ABSOLUTELY need corners for Chorus II if you want to get great Bass out of them, not so much with the LaScalas, but if you have the corners, why not go with the Klipschorns if you can swing it?

Both the LaScala and the Chorus II play to a max SPL of 121 Db, but the Chorus II with a sensitivity of 101 Db. vs: 104 Db. for the LaScala is going to take twice the wattage to get there, hence the need for a more costly amplifier to do double the output just as cleanly.

All of this being taken into consideration, I actualy have to admit liking the midrange Horn on the Chorus II better, but if you have a pair of LaScalas playing in the same room with a pair of Chorus IIs on multi speaker stereo at very high volumes, that 3 Db. means you wont even know the Chorus are playing because 3 Db. is twice the output at the same wattage.

Roger

You ABSOLUTELY need corners for Chorus II if you want to get great Bass out of them,

Sorry, not true.  I have two pairs of Chorus II's, two pairs of La Scala's, neither of each in corners, and they rock.

I say, get both.  As above , buy now, think later. 

You ABSOLUTELY need corners for Chorus II if you want to get great Bass out of them,

Sorry, not true.  I have two pairs of Chorus II's, two pairs of La Scala's, neither of each in corners, and they rock.

I say, get both.  As above , buy now, think later.

I agree to disagree, that Drone Cone comes alive in a corner with proper spacing as well...

Roger

I have an opportunity to get a nicely priced pair of Scalas, and was wondering your guys thoughts if there would be a big difference in SQ from the Chorus IIs.

- jazz and classical is sublime in a scala -

-rock and the rest is for the Chorus 2-  more bass - 

-  now which do you prefer -

The question as I read it says "Chorus II's to La Scalas, upgrade or lateral move?"

Remember, "If it moves, it distorts".  Which one moves more?

I'd say that if you want less distortion in your bass (but perhaps not as deep) then the LaScala would be an upgrade.

Disclaimer:  I own LaScalas and have never (knowingly) heard the Chorus.

Even better answer:  Get the LaScalas and then some horn loaded subwoofers, that outta stomp them pesky Chorus speakers!! :ph34r:

Edited by Coytee
  • Like 2

3 db is only slightly louder and most of us are going to reguarly listen at 121 db at the speakers limits.  Both will hit the 105 db peak for satellite speakers in a HT.  An amp less than 100 watts should do the job and are not costly.  Once again it comes down to personal choice.

Thanks for all the input gents!  I realize ultimately it is personal preference and much is subjective but I am glad to hear personal experience just the same. To explain things a little better, I'm getting a really good deal on this pair, so if it turns out they are not to my liking I can recoup the cost and then some without any issue. My main reason to start this thread was just to get an impression of what I should expect when I get to listen to them. I have my RSW-15 for bass duty with my current 2-channel music setup, but I am curious to hear less distorted bass as Coytee described. And finally I'm lucky enough to have room in my "man cave" aka the garage to A/B the two sets, so thoughts and impressions will follow once I pick them up in a little bit and give them a decent listening to.

• Like 4