Chorus II's to La Scalas, upgrade or lateral move?

Shodrewken

Jim, start with an Type A or Type AA. The Type AA is probably best, given the propensity for live level listening around here.

There are two ways to do this, and either way, you need a couple of parts.

1) Change the 13uF capacitor to 6.8uF

2) Move the connection for the squawker from Tap 4 to Tap 3.

Or

1) Put a 15 ohm resistor in parallel with the K-55 (on the barrier strip).

2) Move the connection for the squawker from Tap 4 to Tap 3.

Both methods provide essentially the same end result as far as midrange output goes - but do not sound identical.

There is a third way, which is my personal and preferred way of dealing with it -- I just use lossy paper in oil capacitors with the stock build. Sounds different yet again. The output drops just enough, and the sound takes on a character that's the complete antithesis of that produced using metallized caps. It's more than most are willing to pay out, which has always astonished me - considering what people around here spend on gear.

Thank you sir!  I'll try the first method and let you know, really appreciate the response.

Ah, A tweeter question, sorry, misread. This has been measured in the past, and the plots don't show anything. Think of the Cornwall and the Heresy: same upper crossover point, yet with very different primary capacitor values and different tap settings.

Practically speaking, there isn't much difference between a LaScala and a Belle Klipsch

As you turn up the music, the midhorn starts pulling away from the top and the bottom. Around 95dB or so, the sound starts pinching up and sounds strained - and the midrange begins blaring. John Warren refers to this as "throat overload distortion". Dropping the output of squawker helps quite a bit, by proportionately lowering the distortion and by also helping to keep things in better balance at the louder volumes. I like the stock setting, but then, I don't listen at very loud levels most of the time. So, it just depends on how loud you listen.

Edited by Crankysoldermeister

• Moderators
So having more listening time with the La Scalas for the past couple weeks, I can say with all confidence they are one of my favorite Klipsch speakers that I have ever heard. The big, clean sound they provide is very satisfying, and I can see why someone would make a HT system out of them.

Very cool thread.  Glad to see you were able to compare them both in your own home, with your own gear with your own ears.  That's been my goal with every speaker I have purchased.  It doesn't really matter how it sounds to someone else, in their room with their gear because you don't live with them.  It's your ears and your gear that matters because ultimately, you have the pleasure of living with them.

I NEVER dreamed I would have a LaScala Trio in my HT.  Big, old school looking boxes.  I was completely satisfied with the Reference Series even after owning Forte II and Chorus II.  I sold both because I preferred the sound of my RF-83's.  The LS were purchased for the mere experience of hearing them in my own home, with my own gear with my own ears.  Never dreamed that 2 weeks after owning them, I was ready to purchase a third LS and sell my RF-83 / 64.

To my ears, the LaScalas are incredible for both 2ch and for HT.  MUCH more detailed than the RF-83 / 64 that I had owned.  The ONLY thing I feel they lack is the slam that I'm used to from the RF-83's.  Absolutely no comparison there but more and more, I'm very surprised at how good the bass that they do produce sounds.  When the wife goes to bed, I turn the Dual RSW-15's off and at low volume, I really do enjoy the bass produced from the LaScalas.  No slam, but the bass is clean and very present. 

Congrats on the fantastic score on your LaScalas. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had an A/B listening session with the C2 and the Original LS. In my opinion the LS are better. They sound cleaner and warmer and bigger, and I love my C2's which I will be hanging onto. Both speakers are stock and they both kick butt.

• Like 1

I've done the same, and also A/B'd Chorus 2's and Belle's. It's difficult for me to say one is "better" than the other....just certainly different, and obviously meant to be that way....I'll be keeping mine too...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It seems we're all the same and different in someways with our likes in speakers and audio. I have my Klipschorns, Chorus II, and two large subwoofers in the same room and can listen to them all together with each having their own loudness adjustments and I do listen to them all together sometimes and listen to them in any combination and do enjoy doing that too. My Chorus II never are dusty.

I still want to own some La Scala someday even owning Klipschorn. I've heard La Scala and they are very special too! I want to own some Cornwall someday too for the same reasons as the La Scala. I bet all the Heritage speakers sound good. Can you tell I enjoy Klipsch and it seems we all do and that brings us here to this good forum with its many good and helpful members. 

I own other speaker brands and enjoy them all too. I own a fun amount of audio, because I enjoy music a lot!

Klipsch Rocks and that's no BS! Hey, that would be a good advertising sentence.

14 hours ago, jason str said:

Add the right subwoofer to the La Scala and there is no comparison. My Chorus II's have been collecting dust for some time now unfortunately.

I knew you would really like them once you got them set up... (except I can't remember what you ended up with inside them)

Bruce

Lascalas play lower than 55hz. I've heard it with my own ears. Now how many db they are down at that frequency is probably a lot, haven't measured. Also I agree the mids are way more pronounced than the lows which makes me wonder why so many hate the al crossover since it attenuates them 6db. Seems like this would be desirable

Happy shopping. Expectations from another set of ears are of little value now as you are committed.

The multiple contradictory statements above make a strong case for caution when seeking counsel 

from sources on which you don't have any frame of reference.

Please check back in a month and advise which ones you are keeping.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 6:39 AM, Marvel said:

I knew you would really like them once you got them set up... (except I can't remember what you ended up with inside them)

Bruce

Very happy, i miss my first set of La Scala's but the second pair really is much better all around.

Ended up using the Crites tweets i received from you. :)

The K 55's from the Heresy's and k-400's from a local forum member.

Eminence Kappa 15 C woofers

Crossovers are based on Bob's 4500 type.

You ever finish yours ?

A big thumbs up! I've been dragging my rear in getting this old pair redone. My excuse is having no workshop and my wife and I work the same hours, so I have no alone time or place to make a mess. I've front mounted my K-400 horns. If I leave them ugly, all I really need to do is get new gasket material from the bottoms and trim the new pieces I got to replace the bottoms. Put all the parts back in and fire them up. You would think I would get it done... I was going to do the bass mod, so the top of the doghouse has been routed open, but I have placed a hatch on them for now. I want to listen again with no other mods first, before pulling the top hatch.

I still like those tweets. For the money they are hard to beat. I just have the same driver with the Eminence 100x150 horn.

It's ok anyway as my 2A3 amps are out for repairs at the moment.

Bruce

• Like 1

I went from La Scalas to Fortes to Chorus 2s and La Scalas over Chorus 2s.  The Ch 2s are a great speaker but to me the La Scala has been the best Klipsch speaker I have owned.  

Of the 3 speakers I listed the Fortes had the best balance between bass, midrange, and highs.  The La Scalas midrange was outstanding but overpowered the bass but when listening I never felt I needed a subwoofer.  The Ch 2s bass overpowers the mids just a little. 

I would rank them La Scala, Fortes, Chorus 2s.  All are great speakers!  

I love both.  I found the CHII outperformed my LS with deep/low voiced male singers, but other than deep low end, the LS wins at everything else.  I can't afford a really good subwoofer for the LS and have no clue what would actually match it well, otherwise i'd keep the LS.
Have all for sale in order to try and fund the FIII because curiosity gets the best of me.  Maybe i'll regret it, but Klipsch keep their resale value and a great thing about older models is that if you are patient enough, a great pair at a great price will come back around eventually(might require some elbow grease to pretty them up, but i love that part!).  Well, except the CF-4 ver. 1. Never seen one for sale and dying to try it out.