Chorus II's to La Scalas, upgrade or lateral move?

Shodrewken

Don' listen to Max... The k55 is fine, as well as the k400 horn, unless you listen at pretty high levels.

Just enjoy for a while.

I was comparing the LS's to Chorus.  

I do have something that would benefit them and they will soon be in the garage sale section.

BTW, that's a 401 composite mid, not a cast 400.

image-6.jpg

Edited by Max2
  • Like 1

For those that want to know, I ended up taking these bad boys $400 =)

Wise choice my Man :emotion-21:

These are Crites on Steroids and well worth that kind of change.

The only reason i recommended Crites is Because they are the best for "Stock" new, operation.

I wanted to very much buy Volti's or something like these, but i stayed stock because untill i got closer the sound i was looking for, i did not want to HotRod my Stacked Scalla's too much, so Crites was what i went with and only for that reason.

For a new Scalla owner your about to get a great experience, may i suggest you run all new wiring at the same time you install these. then you know everything is good, Crossovers, crimps, wire.

Don' listen to Max... The k55 is fine, as well as the k400 horn, unless you listen at pretty high levels.

Just enjoy for a while.

I do have something that would benefit them and they will soon be in the garage sale section.

image-6.jpg

Your top Notch Max2, as Boxx would say  :emotion-21: 

• Like 2

Just enjoy for a while.

image-6.jpg

Are those AL-3 xovers?

Just enjoy for a while.

Are those AL-3 xovers?

NO. These are Super X's  with mid level caps. They're built by Dean of http://www.aletheiaaudio.com/products.html   These offer adjustability of the output of the mid.  They sound great in my LaScalas. The only reason I am selling them is because Dean is going to build another pair for me with flat stack Jupiter caps. However the new build is going to be about 3 times the cost of what these will run you.  If you have interest, hit me up before thye go to the Garage sale section, oh, and these can be had for less than what a set of new AL3's will cost.  FYI, I rebuilt my old AL3's with new caps and they sounded great too, but obviously I have enjoyed everything Dean has built me more than a factory setup.  I almost just want to frame these and put them on my wall... Deans work is art worthy IMO.

I know that, the point being it/they aren't bad horns at all (either one).

Would have loved a pair of the Super X crossovers in mine, but the DHA2 models I built worked well for me, and cost a lot less. If I were now moving from stock I would go straight to Dean to get some magic.

Bruce

I know that, the point being it/they aren't bad horns at all (either one).

Would have loved a pair of the Super X crossovers in mine, but the DHA2 models I built worked well for me, and cost a lot less. If I were now moving from stock I would go straight to Dean to get some magic.

Bruce

I agree. My "Midrange"  comment that you responded to was that I have a personal preference to the larger mid horn of the upper Heritage line, not that it should be replaced.  Most two channel guys and some theater guys usually gravitate to the 400/401 offerings from what I have seen as they are more revealing and have a much bigger soundstage which you already know :)  This doesn't mean that they are for everyone (Reference owners). Its not that I don't like the Chorus or CII as I have owned a pair of C I's for several years and still would If I had never bought some LS's.

Cheers Bruce  

How big an improvement do the Super X's provide?

How big an improvement do the Super X's provide?

My ears hear better resolution, a cleaner sound that seems to have lost a bit of compression somehow when compared to my old AL-3s and A's that were both recapped.   I don't know if its better components or the topo of Deans design, probably both.  This new set will be the third set of X's Dean has built me, Im sold on them and run them in my K-horns too.  

• 3 weeks later...

So having more listening time with the La Scalas for the past couple weeks, I can say with all confidence they are one of my favorite Klipsch speakers that I have ever heard. The big, clean sound they provide is very satisfying, and I can see why someone would make a HT system out of them. With that being said I will be putting my Chorus II's up for sale soon..

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting read. I have C2's currently but have been getting the "itch" to try some La Scala or Belles. I won't sell the C2's even if I like the Scala's those will go to my son when the time comes. Thanks for the last reply for those of us "researching" it is helpful when the OP returns to the end of a post and gives final conclusions..

• Like 1

Thanks for the last reply for those of us "researching" it is helpful when the OP returns to the end of a post and gives final conclusions.

Most definitely! As I said before the Scalas are amazing, and I just love their sound more and more each day. Interesting side note, since my wife and I have been married I've always had some form of speaker setup up in our living room, this has included, cornwalls, heresys, forte's, RF-7 II's ht, and so on. Up until the Scalas she has never took the time herself to turn my setup up on and listen to music on her own. So if you are on the fence I say jump off of it and get you some Scalas asap! 

Second side note, if you do end up picking up a pair just have in mind they won't dig as deep as your CW's do, BUT the bass is SUPER tight and accurate, different from the CW direct radiating bass.

• Like 1