Chorus II's to La Scalas, upgrade or lateral move?

Shodrewken

For those who say the Chorus is better for rock, and the La Scala better for jazz/classical/whatever. What you are really saying is that bass distortion is ok in that genre of music. Isn't there a lot of distortion there in the recordings anyway?

A direct radiator will add distortion and color the music in ways that a good bass horn will not. That distortion can add a sense of excitement, but it does not convey what is actually on the recording regardless of genre.

I am not saying the Chorus is a bad speaker. Quite the contrary, it is a marvelous speaker. It is however limited by its design which takes a more space efficient approach to bass. Bass horns are big. Ones that go low are huge. Not everyone has the space but it is worth listening to a good bass horn system with recordings you know to hear what is really there. You might be surprised at how much is added (and how much is obscured) by the bass reflex design.

Pfffffffffffft......voice of reason.......  go back to your ice cream.

:o

02c30926a759e237097160b50cbbf950b59f1f0d

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

So after spending a few days having some good listening sessions, I've come to the conclusion the La Scalas are my favorite speaker I've ever owned for music, and I'm sure will be right up there if not better for movies than my 7 II's.

• Like 5

Black wouldn't be my first choice, but I must say I'm very pleased with the condition they are in.

I have to give big up's to my wife for letting me have the Chorus' in there with the scalas in our tiny living room so I could compare the two, though I wish I had thought of taking a picture of the clutter. It was quite entertaining trying to move around with all the speakers LOL. A side note, I had the RB-81's in the living room for a little bit before I moved them back into the garage for my HT, so I brought them back in for the wifey to experience the difference between a bookshelf and a heritage speaker, needless to say there was a big difference.

Canon%20T5i%203-5-15%20095_zpspmalmmuz.j

Canon%20T5i%203-5-15%20096_zpsirzoqevh.j

Canon%20T5i%203-5-15%20100_zpswjptj6gu.j

Canon%20T5i%203-5-15%20102_zpsrpxdcxue.j

Canon%20T5i%203-5-15%20103_zps4xcckhvv.j

Canon%20T5i%203-5-15%20104_zpssimif0zh.j

• Like 2

Oh and if someone could give me a hand in figuring out how old they are, I'd appreciate it ;)

The serial number shown in the photo above... 98 46 0001

Means they were manufactured during the 46th week of 1998. With serial numbers 0001 and I'm guessing 0002.

The LSBK17 is LaScala Black. The only part I'm not completely sure about is the 17... But I believe it refers to the grill cloth color (black).

Hope that helps. There are also a couple of threads here in the forum that cover the date numbering schemes, wood/veneers and other options of the heritage line.

Oh and if someone could give me a hand in figuring out how old they are, I'd appreciate it ;)

The serial number shown in the photo above... 98 46 0001

Means they were manufactured during the 46th week of 1998. With serial numbers 0001 and I'm guessing 0002.

The LSBK17 is LaScala Black. The only part I'm not completely sure about is the 17... But I believe it refers to the grill cloth color (black).

Hope that helps. There are also a couple of threads here in the forum that cover the date numbering schemes, wood/veneers and other options of the heritage line.

Thank you sir! I was just curious to their age for how good condition they are in.

Chorus, what the wife used as a stepping stone to Scallas, then, she heard Khorns and the rest is history.

My hope is that once we have a house of our own that will be the case  :)

What i did when getting into our new house some 5 years back, Build the wifes system FIRST, and build it like it's yours.

Let her know this asap, this way she knows your looking out for her taste, meanwile you are learning what kicksazz and what does not. buy/listen/swap/sell, amps, speakers whatever it takes to dial in HER system.

My wifes system ended up being PC driven, KT88 tube Mono Blocks, pushin Khorns, took a year of trying goodies.

The reason i elaborated on this is, from the time she told me she was happy, or "Touch It And Die" in her words, i have from that day forward to even now, can buy ANYTHING i want, and have :emotion-21::smile:

• Like 1

Those look really nice. Just listen for a while before someone convinces to upgrade all the parts.

Bruce

I'm so happy with how the sound is now I have no desire to do so. If I did update anything it would be just to keep everything running smoothly. I know caps and xovers need a refresh at some point, but I'll wait a bit before I get there.

As long as your pleased with the current sound, it's all good.

This is Bob's upgrade : PAIR of TYPE AL-3 CROSSOVERS (specifically for Lascala) $365.00

You dont say how much you paid for these Scallas, so buying as many as i did in NorCal/Oregon $700 to $1250 was my range.

figuring $1000 for pair, then throw in $265 crossovers, i always got my money back when selling them.

And the old Xovers sold fast on the Bay for $100. 

Run them the way they are and get that house, prioritys. my two cents. :emotion-21: