Custom Dual 12 in DIY Subwoofer Build

Fizik

I had been looking for a subwoofer locally for a while and nothing was really showing up, so I decided to just build my own. I decided to build two dual 12 in vented subs and sell one off to cover the cost of mine.

I found a great deal on some brand new a stock drivers from Epik. They appeared to be leftover drivers form when they were still doing business. The drivers had great reviews, it was their amps that seemed to have issue. They have 22mm xmax one way and can handle roughly 600 rms each.

They turn out fantastic and sound amazing, but still need more time to break in. No strange vibrations or resonance and no vent noise either.

I used a 3/4in oak veneered plywood for the outside, stained black and coated in many coats of a satin polyurethane. They ended up matching my RF-5's quite nicely.

MDF was used for the vents and the vents are flared both inside and out to reduce the risk of noise.

I don't have a windows computer so thankfully "Mustang Guy" helped me out with what cu ft I'd need for the drivers and what vent size I would need. I took those numbers and designed the boxes form there. With the specs from the drivers, the program thought one dual 12 sub should put out about 118db at 21hz without reaching xmax.

The boxes were glued and sealed with PL premium (messy stuff but works well), lined with an acoustic foam, and the subs were bolted in using t-nuts to keep them nice and snug. They were also allowed to sit for about a week while the glue and poly cured before the subs were installed. One box I built is more typical in design, roughly the size and shape of the JL Fathom F212.

The other one I did as something more unique. It's a hexagonal box with two smaller vents off to the sides. It look more like an end table and from the back you'd think that's what it was until you saw the drivers.

Its more pictures that the forum allows being linked to, so here's a finished photo, and the link to the photo bucket album.

27_zpsyw5nhulw.jpg

Photobucket Link

Edited by Fizik
  • Like 5

Nice!  It seems that there's a lot of Epik drivers finding new homes.  HERE'S what I did with some.  Where did you find TS parameters?

The parameters were in the listing for the drivers.

Sd

494 cm^2

Pmax

1000 W

Mms

230 g

Cms

197 uM/N

Vas

69 L

Fs

23 Hz

BL

Qms

Qes

Qts

Le

3.15 mH

Spl

87.9 1W/1M

Xmax

22 mm

Nice!  It seems that there's a lot of Epik drivers finding new homes.  HERE'S what I did with some.  Where did you find TS parameters?

The parameters were in the listing for the drivers.

Sd

494 cm^2

Pmax

1000 W

Mms

230 g

Cms

197 uM/N

Vas

69 L

Fs

23 Hz

BL

Qms

Qes

Qts

Le

3.15 mH

Spl

87.9 1W/1M

Xmax

22 mm

Carl,

I don't think these are the same drivers we have. I can't give you the T/S, but I can measure the sub and give you that information. Mine is still sitting on the floor all apart.  :(  I will probably just buy a bash and boost the 20-24Hz region with a couple different resistors in R25 and R26. From what I understand, the original amp was boosted down there, and it has been suggested that is why they have heat issues. 

I don't think these are the same drivers we have.

They are definitely different than the Epik drivers we have.  I don't need TS as mine are already in a box.  I was just curious.  I seem to remember them posting T/S parameters when they were blowing out their stock but had forgotten about it.

I will probably just buy a bash and boost the 20-24Hz region with a couple different resistors in R25 and R26. From what I understand, the original amp was boosted down there, and it has been suggested that is why they have heat issues.

You might try it stock before you mod the amp.  The 500 watt bash pounds them and really isn't lacking for HT stock.