B'Jesus, a MIRACLE...by DizRotus.

Mallette

Thread referenced is here, but I wanted to do this in front of God and everybody.

Mr. Disney sent me a sample of his magical vinyl mask compound but I never seemed to get around to giving it a try.  For one thing, it was a bit daunting.  However, I had place a record I was going to trash out and I finally got around to giving it vinyl CPR with Diz's goo.

This was a wonderful record when I got it.  A Telarc superdisc of Michael Murray playing the Methuen Music Hall organ.  Sometime several decades ago something awful happened to it and it became, even for a vinyl lover, a total mass of clickyty, scartchey, nasty.  I believe it was a cleaning with Discwasher that had passed it's prime.  I remember I suspected it as the stuff had turned cloudy. 

The label still bears fading from my attempts to clean it with various cleaners, warm water and Lux, the whole gamut.  Nothing helped. 

Today, I peeled of the mask.  Came off perfectly with a beautiful image of the grooves in it.  Looked nice, but then you really couldn't see anything like you could hear before.  Took it to the TT and put it on.  GOOD AS NEW!  Listened to the first cut and let it track through the silence...and it was silent.

Flipped it over and put the stylus down.  Awful, awful, awful. 

This stuff isn't just good, it can raise vinyl from the dead under certain circumstances.  Obviously, it can't fix abrasions...but I have a few more treasured discs that are going to the revival service real soon that I believe to be victims of this coating of bad witch Discwasher or whatever it was, and their demons shall be cast out!

THANK YOU NEIL!

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

You are most welcome. I was wondering what became of that stuff.

While it can't remove skate marks or autographs with an awl, it will render awful looking records playable again. I'm glad you're pleased.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok Neil, you do have the touch of the Magic Kingdow. :D

Perhaps.

Derrick-

Do you have any vinyl? If you're interested, I'll send you some of the secret ingredient. You've earned it from your iNuke DSP advice. You won't even need to make the charitable contribution mentioned in the thread referenced in Dave's post.

it will render awful looking records playable again.

Funny thing about this one...it looks pristine no matter how close you get or how much light you put on it.  That's why I am certain this was a contaminant, not "dirt" in the normal sense.  There is NO way I can over emphasize just how unlistenable this record was.  As a 50 year LP man I am quite tolerant, but when the signal to noise is 50/50 it's just too much.  I loved this record so much that I kept it anyway with about as much hope as those bodies in cryonic suspension. 

Did the demo for the PAW and had told her what a huge difference.  Played a brief end leading into a "silence" band and next cut and she winced.  Put it on the clean side and turned it up and she looked as if she'd seen a ghost.  Not just "better," but dead silent (of course, DBX helps but it can't produce silence unless the potential is there). 

This is going to be fun!

Dave

That "new record" shine is always there when the PVA facial is peeled away. If the record was scratched, it emerges shiny and scratched. You'll be surprised at how good records will sound after cleaning, even with visible scratches.

The best part is the Cyastat SN in the "goo" prevents the record from again developing a static charge, so it stays clean.

My conversion to high resolution digital makes cleaning vinyl a once and done affair. After converting to digital, I never play the record again. Soon I'll be trading the cleaned and digitized vinyl for "new" hidden gems in used record shops. Some lucky shoppers will get amazing bargains.

One shop owner was so impressed he trades records for cleaner.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps I missed an earlier post on the subject

Link is in the first post.  I'll be doing a few more this weekend and will duly report. 

I can assure you I in no way overstated the results on that first one. 

Dave

The miracles continue.  Just de-skinned a treasure.  1965 Jazz Heritage Society recording of Thomas Jefferson and Armand Hugs.  If you don't know those names you are sorely missing perhaps the equal of Louis Armstrong (Thomas and Louis learned on the same horn) and one of the greatest jazz pianists ever out of New Orleans.  I picked this up at an estate sale maybe 10 years ago.  It was reasonable condition, but still a number of crackles and pops.  It isn't noise free now as there were a few actual scratches...but is massively improved and mostly silent.  Seems there is a bit of overall clarity improvement as well. 

I have 2.5 sides coated today and that pretty well used my supply.  Ron (Lonelobo) is interested in getting the stuff and cooking up a joint batch together.  One to be unveiled tomorrow is my original DSOTM.  Been through a lot of pot parties and I am looking forward to seeing how much tar this removes.  :P

This stuff isn't just good, it's crazy good and magical.

Dave

• Like 3

Don't think Neil is coming and we don't have the required and apparently hard to come by Cynastat component.  He sent me a little spray bottle but I believe he said it was a dilute solution for direct application. 

Dave

Would you be so kind as to list ingredients? Perhaps we can gather all required.

I got confused thread hopping.

I have a guy that is darn good at finding things.

Edited by USNRET

Would you be so kind as to list ingredients?

A link to Neil's thread is in the first post above, Mike.   And if we can pull it together I am all over it.  Make a 5 gallon or whatever batch and parse it out while learning the secrets of magical mystery goo.   I want to re-emphasize it cannot do anything about physical damage, but if you have records you've cleaned that don't show visual damage and yet go "scratchytee scratchee" as the play be ready for a miracle. 

I've already cleaned the other side of my original test record, but I think I have one or more left with the same issue and I'll try to preserve something to demo in Hope. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

On March 8, 2015 at 4:16 PM, USNRET said:

So this concoction will be available in Hope, RIGHT?

That's a good idea.  I won't be there.  My boss won't give me the time off, even though I'm self-employed.

I could prepare a sample  for Dave, or someone else, if Dave's not attending, to bring to the gathering.  My concern is that it will spark casual interest that does not lead to actual use.  While I'm not selling the stuff, experience shows that it's easier to ask for a free sample, than it is to read the original TAA article and the referenced thread, purchase the ingredients and then mix up a batch.  That's why I put in the requirement of a proof of a charitable contribution to The Wounded Warrior Project or similar worthy charity of your choice.  To filter out the uncommitted.

The key ingredient, Cyastat SN, the ant-static agent, is all but impossible to obtain.  The other ingredients are readily available as explained in the referenced thread.  Perhaps I should prepare a quiz and make receipt of some Cyastat SN contingent upon a score that demonstrates an understanding of the contents of the TAA article.

I just got off the phone with Dave, aka, Mallette. What a pleasure it was. Steps are underway to get some of the stuff to Hope for the Pilgrimage.

This whole experience reminds me of trying to herd cats. Everyone interested in replicating Dave's results should READ THE THREAD linked in Dave's initial post in this thread. Read the first few posts then skip to post #69 and read thoroughly to the end. Everything you need to know to obtain the ingredients, mix the stuff and use the stuff is contained in posts 69 to the latest post.

If you choose to start down this slippery slope, please READ THE THREADand follow the directions. Failure to follow the directions is a waste of time, yours and mine.

Reg Williamson Record Cleaner

The following is the recipe using 2 oz of Dupont Elvanol.

Distilled Water (initially) 1.5 cups (400 cc or ml)

Elvanol 2 oz (.25 cup or 56 gm)

Glycerin 2 tsp (8.5 cc)

Kodak Photo-Flo 200 3-4 drops

Alcohol 3 1/3 tbsp (11tsp or 50 ml)

CYASTAT SN 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml)

1 teaspoon (tsp) = 5 ml (actually 4.929 but close enough)

1 Tablespoon (tbsp) = 15 ml (ml = cc)

TAA_articles.pdf

RECIPE.pdf

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Alrighty, then.  Ron (Lonelobo) and I will attempt this at home before Hope if possible.  Then we'll see how many are interested in a Saturday afternoon magical mystery goo cook off at the Newton clubhouse. 

Dave