B'Jesus, a MIRACLE...by DizRotus.

Mallette

Dave,

I stole some time last evening to make a quadruple batch of goop. If the test cleaning of the Sidney Bechet record shown goes well, I'll send ~4 liters to you this week. The cooking process takes almost 2 hours. It would be like watching paint dry at the Pilgrimage. If you get time to video the preparation of a batch, that might be better than a real-time cooking session.

In the first photo, the record is sitting on a small plastic highball glass from the dollar store. The goop is already on the record. Note the drips onto the plastic sheet below. After drizzling the liquid onto the record in a zig-zag fashion, I spread it out and work it into the grooves with a throw-way foam paint brush from Home Depot.

The second photo shows 45s and LPs from an older cleaning session. That photo shows the plastic cups, foam brush and my stacking system for drying.

As always, feel free to call with questions.

Neil

post-6832-0-19320000-1427290603_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-58600000-1427290923_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

The early results are positive for the quadruple batch. Truth be told, I didn't plan to make a quadruple batch. I accidentally added a cup of Elvanol, when .25 cup is called for in the recipe. Fortunately, I had enough of everything else to quadruple the recipe. Don't try this at home . . . or in Hope. I suggest no more than doubling the recipe, and that only after successful practice making a single batch. The preparation time is shorter and the waste of ingredients is minimized if all does not go well at first.

The "test" photo above shows the record immediately after the slurry (sounds ever so British) is applied. The photos below were taken ~24 hours later. Bechet 1 illustrates how the dried film almost disappears on most of the record. Some bubbles can be seen at 3 o'clock and a thicker area is evident at 12 o'clock.

Bechet 2 shows painter's tape applied directly to the film. Prior to peeling away the film, I run a thumbnail around the outer edge of the record to cut through the film that oozed over the edge. That allows the peel to work better.

Bechet 3 shows the beginning of the peel.

Bechet 4 shows the peel as it nears the spot where the film was thickest.

With practice, it's possible to get enough goop down to permit the film to peel away in one piece. Any tiny bits of film that remain on the record can be removed by dabbing the bit with the blue tape.

The first playback will also have bits of film caught by the stylus. Be prepared to gently remove any such film from the stylus.

Later this afternoon I'll hook up a turntable to play Sidney Bechet. Then I'll get ~4 liters off to Dave and Hope for the best.

post-6832-0-44920000-1427368482_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-96800000-1427368499_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-96920000-1427368508_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-02960000-1427368520_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Woot! Woot!  Looks great.  I think I was lucky given the age of the stuff.  I just proceeded since the disc was a dead puppy anyway.  Stuff had to be squeezed out like toothpaste and came out in huge glops that had to be spread around. 

Good thing to have some to demo  as the business I mentioned in the "How's this for a Listening Room" thread has us preoccupied.  Going up there for a another, in depth, look see this weekend.

Dave

Kewl. I really need to locate one I can clean one side of, then leave the other for the gathering.

Dave

The nastier looking, the better. Get some 45s or LPs at a thrift store. Even though scratches will remain, the Pilgrims will be able to see and hear the difference a Reg Williamson PVA/Cyastat SN facial makes. They'll be able to appreciate the potential for returning well cared for classics, like your Telarc specimen, to as new, or even better than new (new records are NOT treated with an anti-static agent like Cyastat) condition.

Please have copies of the original TAA articles by Reg Williamson available to the Pilgrims. The late great Reginald Williamson deserves the credit. I merely follow his recipe and instructions.

The attached pdf contains the original articles in The Audio Amateur. I've located what I believe is a photo of Mr. Williamson. It's my understating he designed amp circuits for Heathkit and others. Williamson amps are still enjoyed by audio enthusiasts worldwide. He deserves the credit for concocting this method to clean vinyl. I'm unable to confirm whether he's still alive, I hope he is.

A Google search unearths a lot of information about Reg Williamson and his imprint on audio, but little personal biographical info.  He was a frequent contributor to The Audio Amateur.

TAA_articles.pdf

post-6832-0-09800000-1427503661_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

Hi Neil, maybe I over looked it in the first thread . Does the peel remove mold? If not do you recommend any products that would remove and prevent it from reocuring.

Stacy

My guess is it does.  I have no evidence that it does, nor do I know of anything that specifically addresses mold.

It might even whiten teeth, but, again no empirical evidence.

Edited by DizRotus

Dave-

The package is now in the hands of USPS.  It's in a Flat Rate Priority box, due to be delivered on Monday. The tracking number is:

9505 5110 8543 5086 4149 70.  

You'll need to transfer it to a push-to-close water bottle like those in the photos above.  I sent it in a recycled Metamucil bottle.  Not only will the records be cleaned, they'll be regular too.

If you're interested in the real genius behind the Reg Williamson cleaning system,  go to http://www.saturn-sound.com/history/archive.htm and scroll down to:

The "Reg' Williamson" connection

Sometime during 1985, I purchased an another AKG C28, from a fellow colleague at BT, namely the famous Reg' Williamson. Well known and respected for his many Hi-Fi related "Write-up's". Reg's first venture into technical journalism, was an article entitled  "The design and construction of a capacitor microphone", published in the August 1959 edition of "Hi-Fi News" . Sometime later, Reg' designed a capsule, for use in an RF type microphone. The microphone being designed by both Reg', and an associated friend, Peter Baxandall. Description of the microphone, was given by Peter Baxandall, in the Nov/Dec 1963 editions of "Wireless World". All the capsules used by Reg', were built from scratch i.e. the raw materials were machined to the required size etc and the gold foil, for the diaphragm, was mounted and tensioned on a homemade jig.

(Reg' Williamson, 1926 - 2009)

Follow some of the links in the above quote to get a glimpse of the tip of the iceberg regarding R.W.  Apparently, Mr. Williamson went to his reward in 2009 at 83.  The Saturn Sound Recording Services Archive, from which the quote was extracted, offers a fascinating peak into the history of British audio.  I'm certain PWK and RW knew of each other.  It wouldn't surprise me if they actually met.

post-6832-0-00720000-1427540095_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus

The following was originally posted in another thread.  It more properly belongs here.

Was there any leakage from the Metamucil container? Sending liquid through the mail is always problematic.

I think you'll find the viscosity much more to your liking than the well past "best used by . . . " gelatinous goop you had before. In my experience, it's best to err on the side of using too much. Use too little and the dried film is difficult to peel away in a single sheet. Use too much and the dry time is extended, but worse, you waste the stuff.

I recommend cleaning one side at a time and allowing at least 12 hours to dry. Feel free to call with questions.

What dates is the Pilgrimage? I'm eager to hear about the whole event. Good luck with the vinyl cleaning demo. Please make certain the pilgrims recognize the legendary Reg Williamson as the creator of the "magical mystery goo."

• 1 month later...

First time poster here!

I have been following these discussions about Williamson's anti-static solution and the vinyl cleaning formula and have had absolutely no luck whatsoever able to procure Cyastat SN here in Toronto. (or in Canada for that matter!)

Does anybody know or have any idea how I could?  I would be eternally grateful!

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Paul,

Welcome. I'd send you some but sending liquid, especially chemicals, through Customs is problematic.

If you have any suggestions, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you for your welcome, and also your kindness as well!

I suppose I could call FEDEX and ask them what could be done to import this.

Will let you know what I come up with.

CYTEC has an office in Niagara Falls on our side so I will try to call them tomorrow.

It's just so hard to find this at all!