B'Jesus, a MIRACLE...by DizRotus.

Mallette

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have to revive a dead thread but I really feel this is appropriate in this case. First, I want to give a huge thanks to Neil for providing me with a couple of ounces of Cyastat SN. This stuff really does go a long way.

I made a couple of batches of cleaner on Friday. I am cooking/storing them in brown large mouth UV safe jars. I like the large mouth bottle because I can use a small whisk to stir until everything is dissolved and clear. As for the brown UV safe bottles, I doubt that they do anything in terms of keeping the solution usable for extended periods but they were the only bottles available to me at the moment so I figured I would use them.

Well on to the details. I cleaned 20 albums this weekend. Other than taking time for the mask to dry, the process is really quite simple. Pour, spread, dry and peel. Two of the albums I know quite well. I specifically chose them to see if there was a noticeable difference. THERE WAS A HUGE DIFFERENCE! The vinyl looks and plays IMHO, as good as new, maybe even better.

I live in the desert southwest and the air is very dry here. When I play a record, there is always a static build up. That was especially true last evening. I thought to my self, self, let's play a freshly peeled record. I played side one and it played quietly. I looked at my needle and noticed it needed a cleaning. I quickly and easily cleaned the needle of what I assume is residual mask left over in the grooves. I lifted the record from the platter to flip it over to play side two and I noticed the absence of static charge while flipping it. I played side two and it was just as quiet as side one. I cleaned the needle again and thought I would play side one to see if there was any further cleaning needed after the initial play. I flipped the record over and WOW, still no static.

After playing side one again, I did not notice any further buildup on the needle so one play must be enough to clear the grooves of any residual mask left over in the grooves.

Again, noting the lack of static charge after playing, I thought that I would try an experiment. I turned down the volume, set the speed to 45 RPM to save time and maybe cause a bit more friction. I played side one 12 times in a row. The result after playing the same side 12 times back to back resulted NO STATIC CHARGE!!!!!!!!!! I set the speed back to 33, turned the volume back up and again listened to side one. It sounded crystal clear with no crackling or pops.

I am quite sure the cleaner without Cyastat SN will pull debris from the record groves equally well. The benefit of adding Cyastat SN into the mix is that it eliminates a surface charge affect which in turn stops the record surface from attracting and holding on to dust particles.

To further test this process, I decided to leave the same record on my turntable platter overnight fully exposed to dust and debris. About an hour ago, I spun up my platter and used my trusty Hunt EDA Mark 6 Brush to clean the surface. I am pleased to report that the result was fantastic. The record played just as well as it did following the removal of the cleaning mask. I do believe the lack of static charge keeps the nasty stuff from clinging to your records and should do so for a very long time.

This testing was hardly scientific. But I am quite happy with the results.

One last note. Initially, I wondered how much of this cleaner do I pour onto the record surface and how many records will a single batch clean. My batch yielded about 16 oz of cleaner. I tried different amounts and different applicators. My current method is to pour 1/4 oz of slurry onto the record surface and spread it with a 3" foam paint roller. I found that a foam paint roller worked better than the foam paint applicator in my ham fisted hands so don't be afraid try both. My math reveals that you would use 1/4 oz per side or 1/2 oz per record. I estimate 30+ records could be cleaned from one 16 oz bottle of cleaner. YMMV, so don't be afraid to experiment.

A huge thanks again to Neil for the Cyastat SN as well as Mallette for posting his positive results. It was Mallette's posting that inspired me to try this and I am very great full that I did.

• Like 1

I am quite sure the cleaner without Cyastat SN will pull debris from the record groves equally well.

Thank you for the testimonial.  I can agree with everything but the sentence quoted above.  The Cyastat SN breaks the static bond of the dirt to the vinyl.  In my experience, the PVA facial alone, while still beneficial, is not nearly as effective as when combined with the Cyastat SN.

Here is another update. I have been using a product called Tergikleen with my record cleaning vacuum machine. Tergikleen is alcohol free and safe for all records and labels. This cleaner is used by by the Library of Congress, universities, and the Canadian Conservation Institute. I have tried a few other cleaners, both store bought and home brew but I really like this product. It is a concentrate that makes 30 gallons when mixed with water (de-ionized in my case) and costs $25.99. I make up a gallon at a time and pour it into my lab wash down bottle. I did feel that the solution needed something more to aid in the reduction of surface tension so I added a few drops of Kodak Photoflo and that did the trick. 

I thought to myself, if the Cyastat SN works well in the mask, it may also work well in the record cleaning solution. I spoke with the good folks at Cytec and learned more than I cared to know about polymer anti-static additives. I am happy to send anyone a PPT presentation about these polymer additives it they would like. We all know that Cyastat SN is a surface treatment and it must be diluted to proper levels to be effective. It is obvious that Reg Williamson did his homework because his dilution ratio is smack dab in the middle of the dilution ratio. This median ratio was most likely chosen to allow for small variances that people may inadvertently make during their mixtures and still be effective. Also, in order for Cyastat SN to be effective, it should remain on the surface for several seconds before removing it. As it turns out, this stuff is also used on lab walls and floors in scientific clean rooms to eliminate static charge buildup. 

I chose to add .5ml of Cyastat SN to my Tergikleen solution as an experiment. I now have no noticeable static charge after playing an album several times. If your album doesn't need a mask treatment, this may be a quick alternative. Tergikleen is effective at removing the release agent from new records so I use it to clean my new records before I first play them. Adding the Cyastat SN is a bonus. I drizzle the cleaning solution on to the record surface, use my brush to spread it evenly, wait about 30 seconds to soak (non scientific but seems plenty long) and then let my record vacuum do it's thing. Like I said previously, my results have been very good and I live in an extremely static prone environment. Last week, a friend brought a few albums over to play. When I took one album out of the sleeve, it clung to the sleeve like a dog with a bone. I did a quick clean on my cleaning solution on my record vac and that seemed to do the trick. In fact, my friend just called me tonight after playing one of the records that we cleaned and said it was still static free. I take no responsibility or credit for this, I am just posting my experiments and results. As always, YMMV. Good luck and let me know your results if you decide try this. 

Fact ... We all know, Cyastat SN is fairly expensive. In the US, Cyastat SN can only be purchased in 40lb pails. A 40lb pail of Cyastat SN is roughly 5 gallons and costs $550. With that said, I would again like to thank Neil for his non profiting generosity and his willingness to help us out. Thank you Neil you are a saint among men.   

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/13/2015 at 11:50 AM, Rivervalleymgb said:

I will check around and see what I can find. I am no longer in the business of manufacturing these products, though. If I can score a sample or two, I will gladly share. I will see if I can get a gallon sized sample.

Did you ever find anything?

6 hours ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

I should note that if you are not in the chemical business, it is impossible to get manufacturers to send samples. Even if you are, you have to send documentation of your employment and company in order for them to send 100 ml sample bottles.

Cyastat SN is “unobtainium” to consumers, unless you pester a kind soul at Cytec until he sends some to shut you up.  First I was sent a pint in a plastic container.  Finally I received four 1 quart plastic containers, of which 2 remain.

When the gallon was sent, free I should add, I promised my contact that I would never reveal him as my source, and that I would, instead, make it available to worthy enthusiasts who want to duplicate Reg Williamson’s excellent formula and results.  

My contact at Cytec is a casual audio enthusiast.  After reading the TAA articles and hearing my need and plan, he was kind enough to send me “samples.”  He promised to get his Yamaha turntable out of mothballs and cook up a batch himself.

As is always the case with such Internet projects, self-appointed experts appear to offer unsolicited advice, criticism and “better” answers.  I’m fine with that, but not with my precious Cyastat SN.   

If someone is unwilling to read the TAA aricles, assemble the easily obtainable ingredients and then follow the recipe exactly, I’m not sending any Cyastat SN, which is the critical ingredient.  The complexity of the process filters out the casual and uncommitted.  I don’t charge for a small quantity of Cyastat SN, but I do require proof of  a $25 donation to a worthy charitable organization, such as Wounded Warriors, American Cancer Society, Red Cross, etc.  Contributions to PACS, such as ACLU or NRA, don’t qualify.

Unfortunately, it’s too easy to ask for “free” Cyastat SN and then never use it, or use it improperly.  Dave Mallette and I know that it delivers the excellent results described, if Reg Williamson’s directions are followed EXACTLY.

I just submitted for samples online, then a rep called to ask about how much i needed. that is when she told me only 100 ml sample bottles would be sent. I convinced her to send at least 2 liters for what I needed for my "prototype". It's great you have someone on the inside. All my professional contacts over my career were at Cytec's labs for explosivity testing. Wish they had been in sales! Cytec was always a competitor to me when I was in the polyacrylamide business, which they sold to BASF several years ago. 

Hoard that SN!!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

Hoard that SN!!!

I do.

I’ve considered putting together a quiz for those requesting Cyastat SN.  In addition to proof of a charitable donation, you would need a passing score on an open book quiz demonstrating familiarity with Reg Williamson’s TAA articles and the two main threads.

In addition to parting with some Cyastat SN, it costs me ~$5/shipment to send this to those deemed worthy.  In other words, I lose money each time, but make it up on the volume. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I do.

I’ve considered putting together a quiz for those requesting Cyastat SN.  In addition to proof of a charitable donation, you would need a passing score on an open book quiz demonstrating familiarity with Reg Williamson’s TAA articles and the two main threads.

In addition to parting with some Cyastat SN, it cost me ~$5/shipment to send this to those deemed worthy.  In other words, I lose money each time, but make it up on the volume. :rolleyes:

Diz,

I've read these threads and found links to PDF files and a dropbox link to the TAA articles. However, none of them work. Would you be so kind as to repost them? 

thanks,

Mark

Full disclosure, the Cyastat SN wasn’t totally free.  When my contact refused payment, I had O&H send him a Kringle.  

https://store.ohdanishbakery.com/everyday-kringle-favorites?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8ceLi-Sn1wIViol-Ch1MjA_mEAAYASAAEgJ7n_D_BwE

I send them to business associates who go above and beyond.  Worth every penny.  BTW, Trader Joe’s frequently sells O&H Kringles, but I’ve never seen the pecan variety, IMO, the BEST.