B'Jesus, a MIRACLE...by DizRotus.

Mallette

My update-I have made 6 batches according to the instructions included in the original thread by Neil. I think I've got about 325 records. I have completed cleaning all and applying the peel. I've noticed quieter transitions between songs. As noted by others, scratches are unaffected, but surfaces look new and I don't think dust will stick to any surface.

oh and I still have 1.5 200 ml bottles sitting here to coat some future pick ups.

One question I have though is durability. Do I lose the anti static properties if I gently wipe the surface with a damp micro fiber towel?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ryanm84 said:

One question I have though is durability. Do I lose the anti static properties if I gently wipe the surface with a damp micro fiber towel?

I don’t think so.  One of the TAA articles mentioned a situation where too much Cyastat SN had been applied, nothing short of a PVA peel would remove it.  In any event,  I would be reluctant to wipe the surface with anything.  In my experience, what dust that might be removed by a cloth would be collected by the stylus during playing.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2016 at 2:35 PM, RottenPilot said:

I have to revive a dead thread but I really feel this is appropriate in this case. First, I want to give a huge thanks to Neil for providing me with a couple of ounces of Cyastat SN. This stuff really does go a long way.

I made a couple of batches of cleaner on Friday. I am cooking/storing them in brown large mouth UV safe jars. I like the large mouth bottle because I can use a small whisk to stir until everything is dissolved and clear. As for the brown UV safe bottles, I doubt that they do anything in terms of keeping the solution usable for extended periods but they were the only bottles available to me at the moment so I figured I would use them.

Well on to the details. I cleaned 20 albums this weekend. Other than taking time for the mask to dry, the process is really quite simple. Pour, spread, dry and peel. Two of the albums I know quite well. I specifically chose them to see if there was a noticeable difference. THERE WAS A HUGE DIFFERENCE! The vinyl looks and plays IMHO, as good as new, maybe even better.

I live in the desert southwest and the air is very dry here. When I play a record, there is always a static build up. That was especially true last evening. I thought to my self, self, let's play a freshly peeled record. I played side one and it played quietly. I looked at my needle and noticed it needed a cleaning. I quickly and easily cleaned the needle of what I assume is residual mask left over in the grooves. I lifted the record from the platter to flip it over to play side two and I noticed the absence of static charge while flipping it. I played side two and it was just as quiet as side one. I cleaned the needle again and thought I would play side one to see if there was any further cleaning needed after the initial play. I flipped the record over and WOW, still no static.

After playing side one again, I did not notice any further buildup on the needle so one play must be enough to clear the grooves of any residual mask left over in the grooves.

Again, noting the lack of static charge after playing, I thought that I would try an experiment. I turned down the volume, set the speed to 45 RPM to save time and maybe cause a bit more friction. I played side one 12 times in a row. The result after playing the same side 12 times back to back resulted NO STATIC CHARGE!!!!!!!!!! I set the speed back to 33, turned the volume back up and again listened to side one. It sounded crystal clear with no crackling or pops.

I am quite sure the cleaner without Cyastat SN will pull debris from the record groves equally well. The benefit of adding Cyastat SN into the mix is that it eliminates a surface charge affect which in turn stops the record surface from attracting and holding on to dust particles.

To further test this process, I decided to leave the same record on my turntable platter overnight fully exposed to dust and debris. About an hour ago, I spun up my platter and used my trusty Hunt EDA Mark 6 Brush to clean the surface. I am pleased to report that the result was fantastic. The record played just as well as it did following the removal of the cleaning mask. I do believe the lack of static charge keeps the nasty stuff from clinging to your records and should do so for a very long time.

This testing was hardly scientific. But I am quite happy with the results.

One last note. Initially, I wondered how much of this cleaner do I pour onto the record surface and how many records will a single batch clean. My batch yielded about 16 oz of cleaner. I tried different amounts and different applicators. My current method is to pour 1/4 oz of slurry onto the record surface and spread it with a 3" foam paint roller. I found that a foam paint roller worked better than the foam paint applicator in my ham fisted hands so don't be afraid try both. My math reveals that you would use 1/4 oz per side or 1/2 oz per record. I estimate 30+ records could be cleaned from one 16 oz bottle of cleaner. YMMV, so don't be afraid to experiment.

A huge thanks again to Neil for the Cyastat SN as well as Mallette for posting his positive results. It was Mallette's posting that inspired me to try this and I am very great full that I did.

Greetings:  I am just catching up on this topic and very interested as I need to do some serious record cleaning.  Since it has been over two years since your original post above, I'm curious about the lasting effect of the treatment here in the desert (I live in Arizona as well).  Have you found it necessary to re-treat some records as time has gone on? Is the static charge still absent?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

I too am curious about the long term efficacy in the desert.  I’ve been cleaning records for decades and I’ve never had one build a static charge after treatment.  Full disclosure, after I clean a record I rip it to a FLAC file and never touch it again.  A couple of exceptions are Sheffield Lab’s Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker and John Mayall’s The Turning Point. They’re still static free.

As I recall, I took exception to one comment by @RottenPilot which was:

“I am quite sure the cleaner without Cyastat SN will pull debris from the recordgroves equally well.”

I’m quite certain it will not.  As Reg Williamson states in the original TAA articles, the static bond is stronger than glue.  IMO, until the static bond is broken, NOTHING will lift all the dirt from vinyl.

I am VERY late to this thread, so I deeply apologize accordingly, and just want to make an observation:  I'm in the process of listening to the entirety or just sample bands of many of my LPs. Some I've never listened to, a few I've heard quite a bit over the past years.  One thing I'm convinced of:  "digital LPs" to me are a contradiction in terms.  I believe I consistently hear an abstraction of musicality and a veil of uninteresting sounds.  This is true of LPs that are clearly labeled "digital," and some which are from the era of digital recording but are ambiguous about their recording provenance.   LPs that are clearly identified as from the analogue realm sound much better and closer to real life to me.

I realize there may be some circular reasoning in the above statement.  There are also recordings that are very uninteresting performances no matter how analogue they seem -- I toss those, too.

This is to call your attention to the possible desirability of adding an extra screen to your listening, namely whether the recording is clearly digital or clearly analogue.

Some of you may recall that I just bought an Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro, with which I am well pleased since I only have to stick the disk into a slot and press a button one time to clean both sides at one go.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, DizRotus said:

Bump for @Ole Dollar

I thought I would follow up now that I have made two batches and treated some albums.

First we collected all the chemicals and labware needed to make this fun for my daughter and me to do some science.

1a.jpg.da7d3a9ff6ce0148ddc7d236aaf17324.jpg

Second we pre-measured the ingredients.

2a.jpg.9093fae2c694b351d56546c95410c857.jpg

Then we cooked the distilled water and Elvanol / PVA for 35 minutes

3a.thumb.jpg.337acd6b12db85e72fa1bed3881c1f90.jpg

Once it was clear like Karo we added the other ingredients and let it cool

4a.thumb.jpg.1e9d38496e4ed0c26fec8bf22fc68ee1.jpg

Once cool we put it in push to close bottles and tried it out. So far we have cleaned 17 albums with some of them being ready for the garbage when we started. While I can't say the Goo as a miracle it is nothing short of amazing. All cleaned albums have be promoted back to being played on the good turntable. One of the albums I treated was from when I was 13 and not well kept, it is once again playable! I am really glad I did not throw my "unplayable" albums away.

I can't wait to try it out on more albums as the results really are amazing, ELO is next - thanks @DizRotus !!!

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...