B'Jesus, a MIRACLE...by DizRotus.

Mallette

Peeled the last of the MMG off tonight, but only had time to listen to my original copy of DSOTM.  Another huge win.  Still a few physical scratches, but mostly silence and incredible music.  The PAW joined me, and I must say this stuff not only can revive your vinyl, but may work miracles in your love life as well... :wub:

Dave

I wonder if you could substitute an equal amount of Downy fabric softener for the Cyastat SN?

My understanding is that Cyastat is a rather extraordinary and powerful substance and is permanent once applied.  A roughly 28 oz mixture of magical mystery goo had 1/2 tsp in it. 

Dave

Cyastat is a quat, the same as anti-static agents in fabric softener. NOT identical! There are various quaternary amonium compounds with many and varied uses. I use a quat mixture for killing mold on record jackets. Quats leave a residue. Pesticidal quats leave a residual for killing germs, mold, and mildew. I will have to look at my old formulary and McCutcheons manual. There are nearly identical materials to Cyastat from other manufacturers. 

There are also fabric softeners with quats that not only soften, but kill micro-organisms.

I wonder if you could substitute an equal amount of Downy fabric softener for the Cyastat SN? Both act as anti-static agents.

Not if you want to be certain to replicate Dave's results. Change one ingredient and you're re-inventing the wheel. It might work, but why bother? Where is there a need to improve upon Dave's results?

Edited by DizRotus

The Cyastat used should also be Cyastat 609 for best results. It is the one recommended for PVC. I also don't know why it isn't added during the molding process.

http://www.ingenieriayespecialidades.co/actual/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Cytec-Antiestatic-Agent.pdf

The Reg Williamson formula was perfected decades ago. It works as Dave describes.

If anyone feels they can improve it, more power to them. If you want to enjoy the results I have enjoyed and those Dave is reporting, read the post referenced above and follow the recipe exactly. If you want to improvise, feel free to do so. I'm eager to hear that you've improved upon Dave's results. Do I expect that you can? No. My time is too valuable to experiment when a proven method is available. YMMV. Peace.

They both work about the same. The molecules are slightly different. The Cyastat 609 is a 50% active and has sulfate where the Cyastat SN is a 35% active and has a nitrate addition on the molecule. I have used both. My choice was always which one was available in my stockroom.

I wish you had posted two tears ago in the original thread, linked in the first post in this thread, when we were searching unsuccessfully for Cyastat SN or a substitute. Fortunately, due to the kindness of a stranger, I was able to obtain Cyastat SN. That is what Reg Williamson recommended, what Old Colony sold, what Dave is using and what I have always used.

If Cyastat 609 is a readily available suitable substitute, I would be very interested in learning more about its cost and availability.

Dave,

I need to get a fresh gallon of distilled H2O and I'll be ready to cook a batch; perhaps by Sunday. I promise to send some to you in time for the pilgrimage. Don't let that promise deter you from preparing a batch yourself, especially if you plan to do a cooking demo at the pilgrimage.

Edited by DizRotus

Ron's mom is in a bit of sad decline and he's been really preoccupied.  Hard to tell how long it will go on.  I hope to be able to round up stuff to cook up there, but may or may not.  In any event, if you do get some to me I'll certainly demo it.  I think I have a couple of more records that were victim of the mystery coating the stuff removed.  I'll do one side in advance, play it there, then play the other side before putting the goo on it.

Operators are standing by...

Dave

Ron's mom is in a bit of sad decline and he's been really preoccupied.  Hard to tell how long it will go on.  I hope to be able to round up stuff to cook up there, but may or may not.  In any event, if you do get some to me I'll certainly demo it.  I think I have a couple of more records that were victim of the mystery coating the stuff removed.  I'll do one side in advance, play it there, then play the other side before putting the goo on it.

Operators are standing by...

Dave

Sorry to hear about Ron's mom.

As to rounding up the ingredients, that can be done in your underwear while sitting in front your computer keyboard.  The DuPont Elvanol comes from chemicalstore.com.  The Kodak Photo-Flo 200, denatured alcohol, distilled water & glycerin can be had from Amazon; all delivered to your door within days.  Naturally, the distilled water and alcohol (denatured, 91% Iospropyl or Vodka) are probably available locally at lower prices than Amazon.  Please don't shop locally while still in your underwear. :-)

• Like 1