Need help picking a new receiver $300 max

bobendele

Hello all,

So I've had my set up for a few weeks now and have throughly enjoyed it; however I have noticed at higher volumes the smaller speakers just can't keep up to the sub. If I turn the sub way down its still like the smaller speakers just aren't getting very loud. I shot Klipsch support line an email and apparently my receiver isn't producing enough power and could actually damage the speakers. Bellow is my current set up. According to Klipsch I need at least 150 watts to run the F-30 floor speakers to their potential? 

Klipsch F-30 floor speakers 

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:  35Hz-23KHz ± 3dB  SENSITIVITY:  97.5dB @ 2.83V / 1m  POWER HANDLING:  150W RMS / 600W Peak

C-10 premium center

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:  100Hz-23KHz ± 3dB  SENSITIVITY:  93.5dB @ 2.83V / 1m  POWER HANDLING:  50W RMS / 200W Peak

S-10 premium WDST surround sound (pair)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:  95Hz-23KHz ± 3dB  SENSITIVITY:  89dB @ 2.83V / 1m  POWER HANDLING:  50W RMS / 200W Peak

BIC America F-12 sub 

• Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz
  • Sensitivity: 90dB
  • Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous
  • Impedance: 8 ohms

Sony SRT-DH520 receiver

AUDIO POWER SPECIFICATIONS

POWER OUTPUT AND TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION:
        (USA model only)

With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20 – 20,000 Hz; rated 90 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.09% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output. 

Just curious if anyone would / could suggest a receiver in the $300 price range with the proper wattage to run this set up?

Edited by bobendele

Well your Sony doesn't specify if that's 90 RMS all channels driven or not...so there's a good chance it's yielding something short of that...considerably even.

Klipsch are extremely efficient speakers that can respond well with even a small amount of power being run to them.  I'd recommend getting ahold of a more beefy/quality receiver.  There's some nice options out there from Denon and Onkyo that might fit your budget and sound much better - even might put the power ratings to shame.  Check out Accessories4Less for example to get some nice deals.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Yamaha,Onkyo can be had in this range for power ratings over 110 watts per channel. Yamaha RX A1010 and up can handle those speakers, Onkyo TX-NR 7and 8 series also can handle those. Anything under 100 watts per is not going to do well with them.

• Like 1

Yamaha,Onkyo can be had in this range for power ratings over 110 watts per channel. Yamaha RX A1010 and up can handle those speakers, Onkyo TX-NR 7and 8 series also can handle those.

Good options as well.

Anything under 100 watts per is not going to do well with them

Are you sure? ;)

I had the same issue and came on here also. I spoke directly with Klipsch and the issue is clipping when turned up extremely loud.The receivfer can get very hot and shut off, or the klipping will damage the speaker.

This was a big discussion here as many were using older receivers and said they could push their speakers very well with 50 watts per. I had explained to me by Klipsch that the older speakers would handle the lower power output due to the crossovers and the way they were built with capacitors and todays models being built with boards.

The lower wattage will push them, but not  at higher levels as efficient. If the OP doesn't listen to long boouts of loud music/ht he should be OK but if he's like I am with my listening volumes, he won't be.

If doing the Denon, go with the x-2 or 3 series and try to focus on the 3 series (unless you can get a 4 series). Look at my signature below for my AVR's.I specifically got tehm due tp my speakers. If you can find a Marantz in the price range, try to make sure it's ijn the 6 or 7 series, and not the 5 series as it will only be rated 90 watts also. And if you do go Onkyo (used) make sure you check to see if it was rehabbed on the HDMI, or check the site with a serial number to make sure it's covered under the extended HDMI warranty they just came out with.

I've owned the Onkyo TX-NR 609,709, AND 809 and had nothing but issues with them,when they worked they were very nice with all the toys they come with. I had the Denon E-400, Yamaha RX-V575,573,675 and sold all of them for what I have now.

• Like 1

Here's a few deals for you:

Denon AVR-X1100W - $249.99

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1100w/denon-avr-x1100w-7.2-4k-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html

Yamaha RX-A730 - $349.99

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa730bl/yamaha-rx-a730-aventage-7.2-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

Onkyo TX-NR626 - $299.99

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr626/onkyo-tx-nr626-7.2-network-a/v-receiver-wifi/bluetooth/1.html

Of those the Denon would be my first pick, as it fits your budget and is an awesome receiver.  The Yamaha would be my next best pick - best if you can afford it.

• Like 2

I had the same issue and came on here also. I spoke directly with Klipsch and the issue is clipping when turned up extremely loud.The receivfer can get very hot and shut off, or the klipping will damage the speaker.

I've pounded these speakers with the Fusion since I got it, and it's only rated at 65 x 7 all channels driven.  If you get a receiver that doesn't drop the power a bunch after having multiple channels running - that very well could be fine.  My Yamaha RX-V2500 dropped from 75 to 40 watts from 5.1 to 7.1.  Those things matter, but at the same time, if you have a good receiver with efficient speakers, it really shouldn't matter.

I agree with the receiver dropping when in 5.1 or higher, but if your Fusion is running at a real 65x7,that's a lot more efficient than 75 down to 40.

Remember also, your speakers are RF, not Synergy. Different crossover. We have similar speakers, both you and I, as well as the OP and I.

If I  am mistaken, my info comes from Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, and Klipsch. And I can say none of my receivers heat up, nor do I have any clipping.

To the OP, do you get any small popping, or almost like it goes in and out or "skips"? Or stays at a certain level? It may also do with the C-10 not matching up as well as a C-20 would.

• Like 1

I agree with the receiver dropping when in 5.1 or higher, but if your Fusion is running at a real 65x7,that's a lot more efficient than 75 down to 40.

Correct, and the OP is using a 5.1 configuration on a cut-of-the-mill Sony receiver.  It's probably considerably lower than 40.  I have Yamaha receivers that are running 3's that are rated well below 100 WPC as well.  Don't hone in on that number too much.  Synergy speakers are also very efficient - don't sell the line too short.  A good 80 WPC Denon is going to deliver cleaner power than a 90 WPC D-Sony, and I assure you it'll drive the Synergy speakers just fine.

I have a receiver for sale but it is over your budget..

Denon AVR-3312ci with new remote and Audyssey microphone. $330 + shipping. I was driving a RF-62 II, RC-62 II with 3 Reference surrounds and it sounded fantastic.

• Like 1

Ibiza,

I got you mixed up with Mattser for a minute. He and I have the same speakers. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the Synergy, I also have them so I do know they are efficient. I have Synergies from back in the 90's up through today's models, and every receiver I put on them got extremely hot, except the Onkyo 7,8 series, Yamaha 1000 series and higher, and Denon over 2000 series. The Denon E-400 had nice sound, but would get hot to the point you would burn your hand on it,as well as the Yamaha and 6 series Onkyo and all the receivers were on the top shelf of my rack, so there wasn't anything to block in them being able to breath. I had to have an external fan run behind the lower ended models just to keep them cool. None of the more powerful receivers have had any issues with heat.

Now again, I don't know how loud the OP listens, but I can assure you on my end it's extremely loud

I have a receiver for sale but it is over your budget..

Denon AVR-3312ci with new remote and Audyssey microphone. $330 + shipping. I was driving a RF-62 II, RC-62 II with 3 Reference surrounds and it sounded fantastic.

That's a great price on a great Denon.

Thanks guys. I was going to post it on CL for more but I figured I would give this guy a shot first.

Thanks for the opportunity K5SS, but with already going over budget on the system and the 4th kiddo on the way, that is going to be a tough sale to the wife.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I have been looking through the above mentioned site (accesories4less) and to be quite honest the model numbers of each manufacture is just complete gibberish to me. There are a few model all around my price range, even of the same brand but the model numbers are complete different; as in not of the same series. So I've got my home work to do.

Again, thanks for all of the timely responses!

Thanks guys. I was going to post it on CL for more but I figured I would give this guy a shot first.

Thanks for the opportunity K5SS, but with already going over budget on the system and the 4th kiddo on the way, that is going to be a tough sale to the wife.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I have been looking through the above mentioned site (accesories4less) and to be quite honest the model numbers of each manufacture is just complete gibberish to me. There are a few model all around my price range, even of the same brand but the model numbers are complete different; as in not of the same series. So I've got my home work to do.

Again, thanks for all of the timely responses!

Free shipping $349.99 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr2312ci/denon-avr-2312ci-7.2-integrated-network-a/v-surround-receiver/1.html#!specifications

It's the little brother of K5's AVR.

Edited by mustang guy

Just curious if anyone would / could suggest a receiver in the $300 price range with the proper wattage to run this set up?

Unfortunately, there is no receiver close to that price range that delivers that kind of power. To get that kind of power output in that price range, you would have to buy a really older high-end receiver. 

The receiver you have is not highly regarded by reviews, but power output does not seem to be one of the problems. www.soundandvision.com do real world testing on receivers and the power output is not that bad on your model. You might want to look through all of your settings on the receiver.

I have a power house of a receiver I was going to sell that gives you 140 wpc across five channels, but to be honest, I was planning on selling it more as a two channel receiver. It is very old, does not have HDMI, nor even high definition compatibility. It is a Denon AVR-5600. I don't recommend this to anyone as a home theater receiver (although it does at least have DTS) as the decoding is rather prehistoric and it won't pass high def. The reason I brought this up though, is that it is probably worth $250. One maybe a few years newer that does offer high definition pass through might be had close to your price range. You still won't likely be able to find one with HDMI though, not with the power specs you are looking for.

Bryant 

• Like 2

So before I get into some of the ones I'm eyeballing I have a few quick questions, 

1. Should I stick with a 5.1 receiver as apposed to the other variations with more speakers? (5.2, 7.1, and so on)

2. Does the WPC change depending on how many speakers your actually running, as in if I were to get a 7.2 rated (hypothetically 150 WPC) but was only running a 5.1 set up? 

3. If I do get a receiver closer to the optimal wattage of the F-30s should I be concerned for the smaller speakers? 

C-10 premium center // 50W RMS / 200W Peak

S-10 premium WDST // POWER HANDLING:  50W RMS / 200W Peak

Edited by bobendele

So before I get into some of the ones I'm eyeballing I have a few quick questions, 

1. Should I stick with a 5.1 receiver as apposed to the other variations with more speakers? (5.2, 7.1, and so on)

Depends if you want to plan for the future. A good 5.1 setup will be easier to find in that price range.

2. Does the WPC change depending on how many speakers your actually running, as in if I were to get a 7.2 rated (hypothetically 150 WPC) but was only running a 5.1 set up?

Usually. Read the specs carefully. Most of the time if it doesn't specify if all channels are driven, it's either based off of 1 or 2 channels.

3. If I do get a receiver closer to the optimal wattage of the F-30s should I be concerned for the smaller speakers? 

C-10 premium center // 50W RMS / 200W Peak

S-10 premium WDST // POWER HANDLING:  50W RMS / 200W Peak

Not if you calibrate them properly. The big issue is the fact you're using F-30's vs. whatever the match was with the C/S-10's. Just adjust levels and make sure you're setting them to small. I'd be really surprised if you push them that much.

• Like 2