Contacting Aletheia

Deang

Lower back. Compression fracture and two herniated disks. These go back to ball playing days over 20 years ago. Oddly enough, outside of some minor discomfort from time to time, there wasn't much to complain about. In my 30s, I started racking 6500 Series Cisco Routers - and that's when the problems started. I'm 56 now, and a few months ago it all went to hell on me.

I'll check out the videos and info. You get to a point where you're desperate, and I'm pretty much there.

Dean,

What do you have on the floor in front of your bench?

Edited by NOSValves

I'm not looking at a picture I'm just wondering what you stand on while your at the bench... If you don't have a nice amount of cushion on the floor it can cause lower back problems. I have 3 layers of carpet in front of my bench... My lower back is totally screwed but with the cushion I can work comfortably on and off all day long with breaks sitting at my PC answering emails and web surfing.

I always assumed you guys just sat on a chair?

tn_0000s_0005_stool-vhb-cr_2.jpg

I have an awesome system in my shop and music plays at all times...so I'm on my feet and dancing most of the time :emotion-29:  LOL!!! I tried the raised seats and found I would just rather stand while working. My bench is raised so I have no hunching over at all! I have more pain involved with sitting at the PC answering email then working at my bench!  

Sitting down would work if I could get my knees under the bench, which I can't, so chairs don't work. Besides, others have a point, there is a lot of moving around in a workroom and sitting isn't really practical.

Amen to the sitting and answering email part of this job.

The very best thing may be a electric either screw or hydraulic table lift.

It would take some level of designing and execution, and may cost 5-$800 to do, but the EASY QUICK push buttons activation may very well be worth every penny.

Not some hand cranks or something, but something that adjusts in seconds at a push of a button.   Lars

I've seen some of those type things in the labs where I work - smart design stuff for sure. I hadn't thought about moving away from the "bench" concept - which sounds like the way to go here. This problem is a real impediment to the business right now, since I can only work a couple of hours a night.

So anyways: I posted about the new coil that UT built for me over in technical. Now, while I realize it's probably not the most exciting development on the planet, it is kind of cool. The only comment was from "Snarky", relating to the sideways pictures (could someone please fix and repost for me -- my laptop got taken out by a virus while my son was playing Minecraft on it). I bring this up because there was a time when a dozen people would have called me out on my claims, another dozen would have supported them, while another half dozen would have engaged in interesting debate.

Seeing the thread met with total silence says a little something about how this place has changed -- it's a little discouraging to see so little interest.

On another note: The day job is complicating my desire to make the trip to Hope. I wanted to make the trip, not just to meet the new faces and some old friends, but to once again demonstrate my work. One of the more fun and interesting things about this hobby is watching the reactions and listening to the comments during and after demos. In the past, crossovers were always welcomed as valid demo items available for people to experience. If this is still the case, and if I can't make it, I need a volunteer who would be willing to receive a pair of networks from me, and working with some other competent members -- run the demo. Right now I see a possible set of Cornwalls on the list, which would certainly be plenty good enough. So "Seadog", if you bring those things, would you be open to allowing them to be used for the demo?

Gear used to be a big part of these "gatherings", and I'm kind of surprised to see such limited involvement. If it wasn't for a couple of other forum members bringing their tube gear to these things, I probably never would have explored tube gear to the extent that I did. The same can be said for high end/ modified CD players and some other things.

So "Seadog", if you bring those things, would you be open to allowing them to be used for the demo?

I'll bring my pair of battery biased B-2's as well (should be available for purchase at that time too). 

I can't argue on the technical merits of the components, but I'm certainly excited to know they're in my setup. And with unicorn capacitors at that.