Joining the Palladium guys (pics page 9)

Scrappydue

Looks fantastic. Did you get them through NFM or elsewhere? Was at NFM in February and they had a full set. Was too busy to actually listen.

Can't wait to see the towers and hear your thoughts on a full setup.

The on here in Omaha, got rid of them and replaced them with Jamos.

Looks fantastic. Did you get them through NFM or elsewhere? Was at NFM in February and they had a full set. Was too busy to actually listen.

Can't wait to see the towers and hear your thoughts on a full setup.

The on here in Omaha, got rid of them and replaced them with Jamos.
Haven't been to the one in Omaha in years. Have they improved their electronics area much? Lived in Omaha/Lincoln for years. Bought my first set of Klipsch RF-3s from NFM in Omaha.

KC also had a set of RF-7IIs playing. First time I had heard them. Fell in love immediately.

And now back to our scheduled program... Scrappy?

Edited by agile1966

Sorry guys. Spent the day yesterday moving stuff around, hooking stuff up, selling other gear. Was a will weekend of audio gear to say the least. Got to hear and hook up my first tht sub. Also got to experience dual gjallerhorn setup. That's my future I believe. And of course the palladiums. My wife was pretty much pissed once the weekend was over. I'll get some pics up tonight with some initial thoughts. Back to work for now. My "bathroom" break is over.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Holy crap!  I'd think if I was getting some Palladiums in 'Da House' I'd have some vacation days lined up.  Or at least some sick time.  You are a disciplined man I'll give you that.

But you are driving us crazy with anticipation!

With no time to set up these speakers, take photos and give a minimal review he does have time to comment on another thread. Does Scrappy keep all his emails on a private/personal server as well; hummmmm? :ph34r:

ok guys as promised today, here are some pics and some initial thoughts. 

let me first start off by saying i always give short reviews and say i need more time to listen but gear goes through my living room quickly. these are staying for longer as i really want to see what they can do for me. plus the wife loves them. 

so here is a couple pics showing the size difference with the rp-260F's and of course the difference of the finishes is just night and day.

16602487890_dc86757421_c.jpg

16603718779_8f5a53c67a_c.jpg

so right off the bat you can see they are much taller than the 260's. they really remind me of my rf-63 in size. in fact they are almost identical in size to the rf-63's but much prettier to look at. i absolutely love the finish on these and the wife does too. so that makes it an easier buy for anyone. these things are monstrously heavy. bottom heavy too. almost feels like the base plate is made of cast iron. good thing though as that is how towers should be. 

here is a shot of the left in its resting place for now. want to try and get them spread out just a tad farther but that will depend on a few things like entertainment center if i get a new one and sub when i figure out what i want in here. 

16788723331_47d9e01162_c.jpg

and here is the nudey shot for all you dirty old men

16788723011_056d9f9ccc_c.jpg

now lets get down the my first impressions. upon firing them up they sounded bad right off the bat. ah ha! easy fix, audyssey was still set for my rp-260's. so i just chose to turn it off and let them run large, no sub, no eq. which is how i love to test what a speaker can do with music.

ill start with the bass. TONS of it as you would expect. i would say shocking amounts had i never heard the rf-63's but i would say they have a similar amount, HOWEVER i do think these are a tad cleaner sounding on the low end. if they stay i will be excited to hear them on a power house amp vs my denon 1713. ran through quite a few songs and the bass just kept a smile on my face. 

now lets talk about highs. they are as you would expect from klipsch. crystal clear. i do feel these are extremely smooth and articulate at the same time. and i think it has to do with the 3 way design and a smaller tweeter not having to do so much work. as i sit here and type and watch braveheart on blu ray the strings and pipes in this movie sound so good on these speakers. they have an almost airy quality to them as i have heard with ribbons on other friends setups before. 

and on to the midrange. i really think this, besides looks, is where the palladium pulls away from the reference line. etc and i have talked via PM before i got these, and i asked his opinion on these vs his la scala ii's. he basically told me that they weren't way better than his lascars. he said however he thought the midrange sounded more open and airy at lower volumes than the la scalas, and that the soundstage was maintained even though the foot print was much smaller. he said there was no way he could fit 7 la scalas in his room and that this was the next best thing. i agree with what he said 1,000% i feel the midrange on these is some of the best i have heard from a klipsch speaker. 

to me if someone who was married wanted the best klipsch home theater he could have, and wife said he could get whatever he wanted, but they didn't have room for heritage then the palladium line is for that kind of person. la scalas and khorns can get you same performance for less money and TO ME are just as beautiful as the palladiums. but not everyone has that kind of space. or for the man with deep pockets, these are for him too lol. 

for me, with shallow pockets, what i bought these for was a few reasons. 

reason one: put the doubt to rest. who wouldnt wanna try these out just to know they may or may not be for them?

reason two: i said that if klipsch made a rf-63ii in walnut with a curved cabinet or a gloss finish like the icon w i was in 100%. loved the rf-63. however didn't care for the rc-64, and that is why that set is gone. then klipsch came out with the RP stuff. not even close to what i was hoping for. tried it none the less, and its good but not for me. 

reason three: this is the most important reason to me. when my wife finishes college soon we will start looking for houses. now while a house with a theater sized room is important to me i have to be a realist and think that i may not have the exact room dimensions i am after. and if the right deal came on a house without the room then we are going to buy. now a home theater is happening period. at least in the living room for sure. but i would imagine since my wife enjoys the theater equally as much as me that a dedicated room will happen as well. however if i don't have enough depth for a false wall, as much as i love the cinema line it will go bye bye. i'm just not the type that wants that stuff out visible in my room. so over the next few months at least, i will run these palladiums through their paces, and if they are worthy contenders for a eventual theater room then they will stay in my possession until we find a home. 

SO, those are my first impressions and story behind my purchase. hope you guys enjoy the couple pics. one weekend in april, michaelandklipsch will be flying out to hang out for a few days. my house WILL be cleaned before them for sure. when that happens i will get out the nikon and take some youthman worthy photos. id eventually like to get a pic with a 904, p-37, cornwall, reference speaker, and an icon w just to show all of the series i have owned. 

• Like 9

• Moderators

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on the Palladium.  If the wife loves your speakers, you are definitely headed in the right direction.  Happy wife....happy life.  :D

i will get out the nikon and take some youthman worthy photos

That is a very humbling compliment. ;)  I can appreciate good photography.  Definitely looking forward to more pics.

• Like 1

Great write up. I was curious on your opinion on the bass of these speakers, I had a feeling you were going to be impressed. It is such a clean sounding bass, makes you wonder what a tube amp would sound like with Palladiums. 

In your photos, I was shocked how big the P27c is, especially sitting next to the P37. That thing is a monster. 

Will you continue with any more Palladium purchases, sub, surrounds? 

Congrats Scrappy, those look great in your living room, a high WAF sure helps also huh?