Found an almost new Onkyo tx-nr838 for $400!

jordan122345

So I started out looking at a denon x4000 at best buy for $650 but then found out it was missing everything. So what sounded like a good deal ended up being a horrible deal. In the mean time I was searching my local Craigslist for deals. And low and behold I find this onkyo 838 for $500. So I went to the guys house with $400 and the guy took it. The unit was in basically brand new condition and still had the blue tape on most of it. Turn s out they only played it for about 30 minutes and it came with everything except the box.

Edited by jordan122345

So I am at a retail store in Denver and they have an open box denon x4000 receiver marked at $650 plus tax should I jump on it asap or wait for a better deal

Sounds good to me.

I have "considered" jumping on a similar deal at A4Less.

Bill

I bought mine for $650.00, if you look around, you may be able to get one on Ebay for $550.00-$575.00. $650.00 is probably going to be nearer to the upper end at this time. If the means of having it now outweigh the bargain shooping and potentially losing it,then I'd jump on it also.

So I am at a retail store in Denver and they have an open box denon x4000 receiver marked at $650 plus tax should I jump on it asap or wait for a better deal

Offer them $575.00 and tell them you will buy an HDMI cable or two to go with it.

Bill

Edited by willland

If this is the unit that you have been waiting for buy it from A4L. I'll throw this out there. Now that my Onkyo NR717 has been fixed it is quite impressive. Maybe consider an Onkyo with similar specs. You could do a refurb nr818 on a4l for $600.

• Like 1

If this is the unit that you have been waiting for buy it from A4L. I'll throw this out there. Now that my Onkyo NR717 has been fixed it is quite impressive. Maybe consider an Onkyo with similar specs. You could do a refurb nr818 on a4l for $600.

Whoa, what do you mean "now that it is fixed it is quite impressive?"  I presume you had the HDMI board replaced, but have you had some sort of performance upgrade as well?  (I have a well-loved 717 as well)

BTW I agree completely that the Onk 818 is a great AVR. I have seen several for sale over at AVS.com for around $500.

+++

To the OP:  I agree with Jordan, without all the accessories, that unit is worth $500, tops.  At $629 I'd walk away.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I'm thinking it was the hdmi board and the TI processor that were replaced. I don't know for sure though. The networking is now flawless. It was far from flawless before. For me, the power is more than enough and the sound is clean and balanced. That's all I can ask for.

I'm thinking it was the hdmi board and the TI processor that were replaced. I don't know for sure though. The networking is now flawless. It was far from flawless before. For me, the power is more than enough and the sound is clean and balanced. That's all I can ask for.

OK, thanks. If your networking had problems, it was that HDMI board.  

It's just that if you found some super-secret way of hot rodding your 717, I'm in!   :D