hsu Vtf15 mk2 or psa v1500 Which to go with? opinions needed

jordan122345

Klipsch r115sw 15" 400 watts rms/800 watts and is 18hz-125hz Svs pb2000 12" 500 watts rms/1100 watts peak and is 17hz-260hz

The SVS uses a more powerful amp because the driver is smaller and will have to move it farther than the Klipsch for the same SPL.  On paper, I'd take the 15" driver over the 12" driver as it will move less (less distortion) for the same SPL.  The difference between the 17Hz and 18Hz is negligible and a function of the tune of the box.  The only reason I might consider the SVS over the Klipsch is the track record of the Klipsch amps.  They may be better now than they have been in the past but haven't been out long enough to know for sure.

• Like 2

SVS is a great choice, just be careful though, one sub usually leads to two =)

A second sub will not even fit in my current place. Now once I buy a house then yes for sure a 2nd one will be in order

Edited by jordan122345

Oh I see. So how big of a difference is that 260hz vs the 125hz is it really possible that the svs goes that much higher

You don't need to be playing your subs that high anyway so this number doesn't really matter. What I think does matter is in the upper band of subwoofer frequencies around 80 hz the Klipsch gets a little boomy and sloppy on music, SVS probably sounds better in this area. However for home theater, I don't care if it does have an extra 100 watts, I don't see a 12 competing with the Klipsch 15 around 20-30 hz. I had two of the Klipsch 15's in my house and I honestly just can't see two 12's outputting what they did down low. PB-13 ultra I'm sure, but I'm doubtful on the cheaper 12's.

I'm late to this thread, but I'm curious as to why the only 2 subs talked about here are Klipsch and SVS? There are several other ID companies that make fantastic subs.

1. PSA (started by Tom Vondanel co-founder of SVS) XV15SE $899 - 30 day trial period with free shipping and returns. Ignore the silly comparison charts, these really are great subs.

2. PSA V1500 $1049 - this is using the new ICEpower amplifiers. It's a more powerful version of the XV15, but I put it in here because you said you might up your budget to the pb12. Well, this gets you a powerful sub with a 15" driver.

3. Reaction Audio PS-15X $799 w/ free shipping. I think it's only fair to mention they will have new subs out soon. Also, they've been switching up their lineup pretty regularly. Nothing bad about that, it would frustrate me so I thought I'd mention it.

4. HSU Research VTF3 mk5 $799 without shipping. Shipping will run $89. This is suppose to be a killer sub. Performs better than HSU's legendary original VTF15H. Or, grab the VTF15H on closeout for an amazing price of $709 in black. That's an amazing deal. Hell, for that price grab 2 :D:rolleyes:

Honestly I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to only consider SVS and Klipsch. I think the 4 subs above are all better options than the pb2000 seeing as they all have a 15" driver, will go as low or lower and have more spl for your money. But, that's just my opinion. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Edited by Rowan611

while all the above is true no one can compete with svs bill of rights. and for someone who unsure of what they want the trade in program is a sweet deal. plus his budget was about 800 so that why a lot of the others you mentioned weren't thrown out there. but that new vtf-15h looks like a winner at 889. although i read some stuff about their numbers being fudged a bit. 

while all the above is true no one can compete with svs bill of rights. and for someone who unsure of what they want the trade in program is a sweet deal. plus his budget was about 800 so that why a lot of the others you mentioned weren't thrown out there. but that new vtf-15h looks like a winner at 889. although i read some stuff about their numbers being fudged a bit.

?????Huh????? I'm not sure I agree. Considering 3 of the 5 are at or under his budget. I only added the one PSA because he mentioned going up to a more expensive SVS, it's not like I randomly threw it out there trying to get him to spend more. The other is a whole $100 more, and again, said he was thinking about spending more.

No doubt SVS has a great program, wasn't arguing otherwise. Just tossing out a few other options.

HSU VTF15H review on Data-Bass

PSA XV15 review on Data-Bass this was before they switched to the newer driver.

Edited by Rowan611

I might have to up my price a bit and go with the pb12 plus but it seems like with only 1 hz lower than the pb2000 may not be worth the extra $$$. Although the amp is 800 watts rms and has 3 ports for tuning

I am sure the SVS PB2000(and Klipsch R115SW) is a solid sub that will be more than enough for your 11 x 16 room.  With that said, the PB12 Plus is more than a solid sub that will perform at a level just a few clicks lower than the highly acclaimed PB13 Ultra.

Bill

?????Huh????? I'm not sure I agree. Considering 3 of the 5 are at or under his budget. I only added the one PSA because he mentioned going up to a more expensive SVS, it's not like I randomly threw it out there trying to get him to spend more. The other is a whole $100 more, and again, said he was thinking about spending more.

No doubt SVS has a great program, wasn't arguing otherwise. Just tossing out a few other options.

if you had participated in his other thread you would see that his original budget was 700. all of which you suggested are over. LOL i mean don't get me wrong its all good to get as any suggestions as possible and as you can tell we are all already talking him into spending more. so lets stay after it and get him to build 4 18's cause we all know that is where the real fun begins. 

• Like 1

if you had participated in his other thread you would see that his original budget was 700. all of which you suggested are over. LOL i mean don't get me wrong its all good to get as any suggestions as possible and as you can tell we are all already talking him into spending more. so lets stay after it and get him to build 4 18's cause we all know that is where the real fun begins.
Sorry I missed his last thread; however, that is all but irrelevant now. I didn't push him to $800. I don't care what he ends up buying, just trying to give more choices than SVS and Klipsch.