Question about measuring a Sansui pot

Taz

I've been talking to a Gentleman who is having problems with his Volume and Balance dials On a Sansui 9090DB.

I recommended a serious clean and lube with Deoxit.

Now I'm not qualified to work on equipment, but the explanation given is beyond my understanding.  

Can anyone explain what "No Mass means? 

Or offer other solutions to this vexing issue of old pots?

This tech that I contacted has very good reputation. On the other hand he is making his own very highy regarded tube and solid state gear and it might be the case that he has no time to deal with such things like fiddling with broken pots. I asked him about DeOxit treatman and he replied that if this would be possible, he would certainly do it. He also mentioned something that is beyond my comprehension-he measured the pot and it has no mass (if I understood correctly), and that such thing require pot replacement.

I will give it more time and try to figure out the solution.

Edited by Taz

Ahh, the Good ol 9090, brought one back from Japan myself.

Open that puppy to get to the pot, pack a rag around it so NO spray gets on to plastic parts/faceplate. find a hole,

Squirt, and cycle that pot fully back and fourth, and repeat two more times, pots get mucked up with their on carbon over the years.

Your flushing it out.

As for this "No Mass" statement ....i have No IDEA

As for this "No Mass" statement ....i have No IDEA

There are contraptions used by the electric guitar types called "mass attenuators" which are used instead of L-pads.  It's a loudspeaker motor (i.e. loudspeaker sans basket, and cone) with a weight glued to the voice coil.  The attenuation magnitude is some sort of function of the mass applied to the motor.

As for the "no mass" statement, cached in these terms my guess is it's cryptic, half-assed way of saying that the attenuator doesn't work. 

Edited by John Warren