deck sub?

Matthews

Those underground subs are pretty cool.  Curious to how they sound?  I am thinking of something that would be weather proof that I could possibly attach to the underside of the deck.  Looked at some marine application stuff but don't think they would be applicable. More for a 12V system.

Would like something my dogs can't get to, hence under the deck. 

Saw this http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-AM3386--Atrium-Speaker/dp/B0027G3E6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425763888&sr=8-2&keywords=OUTDOOR+SUBWOOFER

...but again, I like the idea of actually attaching something under the deck

I designed but never built this. It was to sport 4-15" Kicker S15L74 drivers. 131db at 17Hz groundplane.   :) Realistically it was more like 127db because of cone excursion issues around 23Hz.

post-47699-0-56700000-1400250327_thumb.j

post-47699-0-37620000-1425797461_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I built a small sub for my patio using a marine grade Polk driver. I figured they are designed for boat use so would hold up pretty well. I built a sealed box out of plywood and painted with dura tex from parts express and it has held up well. I am just starting my second summer with it and all is good. I have the amp inside. Ikeep it under a table so it wont get direct rain or sunlight. Sounds very good and adds a nice low end boost to some small Definitive Tech outdoor speakers. Not audiophile but much nicer than most patio sound systems. I dont see any reason it wouldn't work under the deck as well. You still might want to crawl under there and bring it in for the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of building something like an Auto Tuba and putting under deck... or in car or ...See Nexus thread I just started in this topic.

Thanks.

An Auto Tuba needs cabin gain for low frequencies. They are designed for cars. They aren't even any good in a room, let alone outdoors.

• 2 months later...

Why not build the deck to be a giant horn loaded subwoofer?

I have to build a deck for my camper, I was thinking something underneath maybe a mwm.
Does not go LOw enough and why would you need a long throw sub??

Roger

I don't know, it sounds cool.

I tried an in-ground IB sub, but a guy in China kept filling in the hole at his end. Sounded great while it lasted.

Since most of the drivers are made in china anyway, you could  probably just have someone drop it down the hole then screw it in from the front and save on shipping...

• Like 1