Help needed: KP250 DIY cabinet question

Donkeyshins

I'm using a trio of KP250 speakers in my home theater and because of the limits of the room, I'm having to put the center channel speaker on it's side. Given that the speaker cabinet has been 'well loved', I was thinking about building a new cabinet for the speakers - one that is designed to fit into the space.

My idea is to move the midrange, tweeter and ports to one of the side panels and have the woofer firing either out the top or bottom (the latter would require me to put feet on the 'bottom' of the speaker so the woofer would have room to move / radiate).  Essentially, the speaker would be face down (or face up) with the ports, tweeter and midrange firing out a side.  Given that the internal dimensions would remain the same and the porting would remain the same - are there any pitfalls (other than making sure that the woofer magnet doesn't interfere with the midrange compression driver) to be worried about?

Unfortunately, I can't use an Academy center channel as (a) it isn't sensitive enough compared to the KP250, (B) it's too wide for the space even if it were a good match and © they're expensive as hell.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-D

Imho, that would likely prove unsatisfactory.  The human voice (primary focus of center channel) frequency range begins at about 250Hz.  With the woofer pointing up or down, your will lose much of the fundamentals of human voice relative to the harmonics coming from mid-range and tweeter.  I would think it better to simply lay the 250 on its side, if it will fit.

• Like 1

You might be better off using the horns in the middle and flank them with two eight ich woofers insted of the single twelve. Obviously you would need to change out the crossover to work this way. This way everything faces forward and sound is directed towards you. I have a KLF 20 single speaker that I am going to use for a center and that is my plan I am following.

You might be better off using the horns in the middle and flank them with two eight ich woofers insted of the single twelve. Obviously you would need to change out the crossover to work this way. This way everything faces forward and sound is directed towards you. I have a KLF 20 single speaker that I am going to use for a center and that is my plan I am following.

Unfortunately, there is insufficient space (width-wise) for this option.

Imho, that would likely prove unsatisfactory.  The human voice (primary focus of center channel) frequency range begins at about 250Hz.  With the woofer pointing up or down, your will lose much of the fundamentals of human voice relative to the harmonics coming from mid-range and tweeter.  I would think it better to simply lay the 250 on its side, if it will fit.

So the two ports on either side of the tweeter (see below) wouldn't pass these frequencies?

IMG_0251.jpg

-D

Edited by Donkeyshins

Perhaps if you could attenuate the squaker and tweeter down say 3-4db, and aim the ports to the front, you might get away with it. Has anybody tried this? It would make the speaker a lot less efficient, so you would have to up the db of the center in your AVR. If you built a slot the the whole speaker to slide into and left a couple inches above it for the woofer's sound waves to come out??

I think it would be a cool experiment. Who knows, you may have solved the age old thin center for a Heritage speakers problem.

Bill and Carl are probably right, though.   :)

post-47699-0-57740000-1426039925_thumb.j

post-47699-0-30700000-1426040289_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy

I'm using a trio of KP250 speakers in my home theater and because of the limits of the room, I'm having to put the center channel speaker on it's side. Given that the speaker cabinet has been 'well loved', I was thinking about building a new cabinet for the speakers - one that is designed to fit into the space.

My idea is to move the midrange, tweeter and ports to one of the side panels and have the woofer firing either out the top or bottom (the latter would require me to put feet on the 'bottom' of the speaker so the woofer would have room to move / radiate).  Essentially, the speaker would be face down (or face up) with the ports, tweeter and midrange firing out a side.  Given that the internal dimensions would remain the same and the porting would remain the same - are there any pitfalls (other than making sure that the woofer magnet doesn't interfere with the midrange compression driver) to be worried about?

Unfortunately, I can't use an Academy center channel as (a) it isn't sensitive enough compared to the KP250, ( B) it's too wide for the space even if it were a good match and © they're expensive as hell.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-D

it would be cheaper and a lot less trouble to just buy the kP101  -