Decorator Cornwalls

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt know the had electric staplers back when these were built. Either that or Andy and the other cab makers have hands and forearms like pythons. Just pulling staples from one of the CWs, my hands and arms are sore. They didnt spare any expense when it came to staples

Mark

• Like 1

So the progress crawls along. I installed the magnets today. Boring I know. I set the magnets flush in the motorboard so the veneer will  just press on. On the grills, I only slightly recessed the magnets, enough so that when the felt pads are all attached that all of them are flush with the motorboard. Andy or Moray, let me know if this will work or am I delusional again?

Mark

post-48599-0-01300000-1434922341_thumb.j

post-48599-0-56620000-1434922356_thumb.j

post-48599-0-62020000-1434922371_thumb.j

• Like 1

I measured 1 1/2 inches in on each side, 1 1/2 down from the top and 4 inches up from the bottom. I used tape to make the intersection and then drill thru the grill into the motorboard. Running a bit that cuts a flat bottom(sorry I forget the name) it has a starting tip that fit into the drill holes. I also cut a slightly larger hole in the pads so they would be able to self center. The magnets are strong enough the I was able to pick up the grills with just 1 magnet attached. Flea market special, they are the type that make a "chain" to grab metal dropped into hard to reach areas. I think it was $5 for 25 of the magnets.

I need to return the magnets to PE. a bunch of them have cracked in half, just by reattaching to the chain

Mark

I may be too little too late on fixing the cone tear.  A friend of mine uses very thin black nylon netting from a fabric store like that used on veils.  He attaches it to the back of the cone with a thin layer of clear glue than adds thicker layers on the back and a very think layer on the front side to mainly cover the rear (no netting on the front).

I remember that DJK uses black leather shoe dye (Walmart) with a squeeze on applicator on cones and says it adds very little mass once it dries.  Good luck

Is there enough Baltic Birch thickness to install the magnets flush with the grille surface, then epoxy over them?  If they are rare earth magnets they'll need to be fastened securely.

Or maybe you have solved the magnet issue already......?

Rare Earth? Get ready, get ready

I have it figured out

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

Rare earth is a strong kind of magnet.  From the interweb:

"Rare-earth magnets are strong permanent magnets made from alloys of rare earth elements. Developed in the 1970s and '80s, rare-earth magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnets made, producing significantly stronger magnetic fields than other types such as ferrite or alnico magnets."

You have the grille-to-cabinet attachment figured out?  Cool.  How ya gonna do it?

CECCA

It has been and continues to be a learning experience which I am enjoying. Thanks to you, Moray, Andy and a couple others, I haven't botched it yet. I'm going to do the bracing and then send them out to be veneered. My woodworking skills are limited at best, and me doing the veneering, I might as well just leave them as they are, half paint and half fir.

They are hopefully out of here by the 4th, I live on the river and it's been about 3 years since the last flood when the river was as high as any of us old timers can remember. I would hate to see them floating down the river like some of my other work did

Mark

• Like 1

• 8 months later...