Decorator Cornwalls

Decorators are a different cut list and assembly type. Notice that instead of a box with a motor board inset, the Decorator has a motor board that extends the entire height of the cabinet. Viewed straight on from the front, you see no end grain of the top and bottom panels. Possibly a stronger cabinet style but more difficult assembly. In finer veneers the look magnificent. 

back in my former life when I was installing car stereos, a guy I worked with sprayed bed liner on a passive sub to stiffen it up. seemed to work really well for his application, don't know how it would work on a regular woofer though.

You don't want to add any coating that will add MASS, mass is the enemy of light, fast cones. 

• Like 1

So I repaired the woofer yesterday using the coffee filter and PE glue. I let it dry overnight and put everything back together for a listen. I can't tell the difference between the 2 woofers, but I'm probably still going to replace them with the Kappa 15s. The light layer of glue looks awful and the other has been repaired previously, I guess looks aren't everything but with Decorators it very well may be. Thanks to everyone who jumped in with advise

Mark

post-48599-0-62180000-1427664802_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996

• 2 weeks later...

The grills are done. Thanks to Mr. Crites for the Klipsch cloth, Colter for the badges and Jason for the install. He did a great job, the stuff is hard to work with. The grills will be switched so the tweeters will be on the outsides

Mark

post-48599-0-65880000-1428435079_thumb.j

post-48599-0-13720000-1428435093_thumb.j

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 3

Thanks Carl,

Jason and I talked about it and I went with this look. Now you have me thinking, opposing might look sic.

Maybe I need another set for the cabs opposing. OK Thaddeus, what do you think besides I need another shotgun?

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

BTW, the correct nomenclature for those Cornwalls is Cornwall II Decorators....I know that sounds confusing but they were called Cornwall II, not verticals.  AND...there is no definite date at which that layout ended because we built mates to singles in the same configuration YEARS after that layout was no longer the standard production.  I outta know, I built dozens of them!!....but fir was no longer used, just birch...yours are fir. 

• Like 2

Suggestion for ya...since you are using relatively stiff Baltic birch PANELS for your grille frames, go to Walmart and get some of those peel-and-stick Velcro dots, and put numerous LOOP ones around the back side of those grills to muffle any buzzing those PANELS might have when in such close proximity to the motorboard.