RF 82: Going from 85wpc to 120wpc (both H/K) amp, difference?

lupinglade

Its a fairly large room, 27 foot vaulted ceiling, 21x25 room plus its open to the dining room and kitchen. I'd like to maybe get a little more bass out of it and more mids. I wonder if the 85wpc amp just isn't enough for these speakers?

I would add a couple of subs for a large room and set the speakers to small to improve system performance.  Speaker set to small will increase the midrange dynamic capability and the subs will give you a more even bass presentation.  Welcome to the forum.

Edited by derrickdj1

can  you try to eq a little .ore bass and mid in before you spend the money on more power?

and welcome to the forum. rf-82's are pretty sweet. they were my first klipsch speakers!

The amp has no eq, so that's a bit tricky :-/

I would add a couple of subs for a large room and set the speakers to small to improve system performance.  Speaker set to small will increase the midrange dynamic capability and the subs will give you a more even bass presentation.  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I might try to add one sub, there isn't really room there to hide two, it might be overwhelming visually.

You didn't mention what model HK receivers you were talking about. Not sure whether they are new (multi-channel capable) or older (2 channel only)... But as others have mentioned, there are other things to consider, that will make a bigger difference.

In fact, the extra 35 wpc will only give you about 1 dB more output. You'd need to double the 85 wpc to 170 wpc, to gain just 3 dB in output. As the RF-82's are rated 150 wpc continuos and 600 wpc peak. An amp with a higher dynamic (short term) output would give you better headroom protection if you like to listen at louder levels, but that's really it.

Since you mentioned having no Dolby settings and no EQ (no tone controls?) capabilities... do you have a sub output? Or are these just 2 channel receivers?

The 85 wpc would be plenty of power for the RF-82's. So if you are just looking for more bass, it might be related to how you have the speakers positioned in your room. Are they against a wall, in a corner, etc?

Holy cow, I'm in agreement with Russ!

I do notice a notable difference between a 50 watt receiver, which I can take to it's limits, and amps capable of a couple hundred watts, which are just unflappably clean not matter how far I turn it up. 

But I agree with the other posts too.  If it's a power thing, you'll need to kick it up an order of magnitude, not a puny 35 watts.  High pass the mains so power is even less an issue and add some subwoofage seem more to the point.

Holy cow, I'm in agreement with Russ!

I do notice a notable difference between a 50 watt receiver, which I can take to it's limits, and amps capable of a couple hundred watts, which are just unflappably clean not matter how far I turn it up. 

But I agree with the other posts too.  If it's a power thing, you'll need to kick it up an order of magnitude, not a puny 35 watts.  High pass the mains so power is even less an issue and add some subwoofage seem more to the point.

I learned a new word today…."subwoofage" ….awesome!

• Like 1

Doubling the power, theoretically will give you 3 db increase in volume. If those numbers are correct power than you would get a 1.5 db bump in volume.  Not really noticeable.  You may notice a little more oomph on an explosion and can tell that it is tighter during those times.

You didn't mention what model HK receivers you were talking about. Not sure whether they are new (multi-channel capable) or older (2 channel only)... But as others have mentioned, there are other things to consider, that will make a bigger difference.

In fact, the extra 35 wpc will only give you about 1 dB more output. You'd need to double the 85 wpc to 170 wpc, to gain just 3 dB in output. As the RF-82's are rated 150 wpc continuos and 600 wpc peak. An amp with a higher dynamic (short term) output would give you better headroom protection if you like to listen at louder levels, but that's really it.

Since you mentioned having no Dolby settings and no EQ (no tone controls?) capabilities... do you have a sub output? Or are these just 2 channel receivers?

The 85 wpc would be plenty of power for the RF-82's. So if you are just looking for more bass, it might be related to how you have the speakers positioned in your room. Are they against a wall, in a corner, etc?

I'm currently using an AVR1700, 5.1 but only in stereo mode. The speakers are positioned in the corner, they will move closer to the wall soon, but so far I've tested them about 3 feet off the wall. The bass is okay, its not insufficient, actually I'd say the mids being a little washed out is the bigger problem.

This new line of "green" H/K receivers -- I wonder if its not as warm as the older/higher end H/K receivers? The bass is ok, but the highs seem to be much more noticeable than the mids. Especially on something like electronica/trance. Whereas more acoustic/jazz/laid back music sounds quite good.

Edited by lupinglade