Starting the beater La Scala project tomorrow

jimjimbo

Well, the weather has finally started to moderate, and who knows how long this will last so I'm moving into the garage tomorrow to begin rehabbing some beat up La Scala's I acquired last fall.  Rescued from a Masonic Temple or some such place.  They are birch that were poorly stained and/or painted, so it's going to be sanding time for a couple of days, then shore up the cabinets the best I can.  Have all the horns and drivers, need to rehab the AA crossovers, but have plenty of time for that.  Will be enjoying my time outside tomorrow and the next few days.  Photos forthcoming.

• Like 4

Ive always wanted a pair of really beat up abused la scalas or klipschorns that were still structurally sound, and build them up with top on the line internal components and cross overs so they looked like dog shyte but sounded like sweetness

• Like 1

Jimbo

I just bought paint stripper but is also suppose to remove stain, varnish whatever. They also recommend you buy the wash so anything you put on will adhere. I just started the Decorators and am stripping paint startinf tomorrow. I will post somme pics as I go. Hopefully it will work for you

Mark

• Like 1

Wow, fantastic weather today!!  Pretty much spent most of the day outside, working on just one of the beater LS.  Still a long way to go, but definitely making progress.  This first one has some nice grain, and I hope to preserve that somehow...  Will add the post sanding pics in the next reply.  

Two speakers, one was partially painted black, the other was not.  Pretty rough....

IMG_1432 (Large).JPG

IMG_1433 (Large).JPG

IMG_1434 (Large).JPG

IMG_1436 (Large).JPG

IMG_1437 (Large).JPG

IMG_1438 (Large).JPG

IMG_1439 (Large).JPG

• Like 3

If at all possible, I really don't want to paint them black.  I very much  want to use the Watco Natural, and preserve the look and grain of the birch.  Admittedly, they will still look a bit rough, but that's ok, I'm not going for perfection on these....it's not really possible (for me).  I have not started the black painted one, still have quite a bit to do on the first one.

IMG_1441 (Large).JPG

IMG_1442 (Large).JPG

IMG_1445 (Large).JPG

IMG_1450 (Large).JPG

IMG_1446 (Large).JPG

IMG_1447 (Large).JPG

IMG_1449 (Large).JPG

IMG_1453 (Large).JPG

IMG_1454 (Large).JPG

IMG_1455 (Large).JPG

• Like 3

Jimbo

You can buy a product called Klean Strip at Home Depot, its what I started with on the Decorators today. I called the company for more info, since I wasnt sure why it wasnt working great. It has to be at least 65 degrees out or the solvent is too thick and not as effective as it should be. It did a decent job, they recommend you wash the remaining paint and solvent off with their wash. You can also use mineral spirits instead of their wash. Also make sure you do it outside, the vapors like the product can kill you.Once you spread it on, they will tell you to leave the area and go back in 15-20 minutes. A quart will cover about 20 square feet and is about $8, the same for the wash. The paint on the decorators is so thick I hit it with the belt sander just to make it a little easier to strip when it warms up.

It looks like you got a lot done today, nice work!

Mark

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Mark.  I don't think we're going to reach 65 degrees for a little while here, so I'm just going to keep plugging away with my sander.  Today was the easy part on the first one, all of the surfaces I could easily reach.  Tomorrow comes the more difficult part, reaching down into the recesses on the front of the folded horn, and doing it by hand.

• Like 1

If at all possible, I really don't want to paint them black.  I very much  want to use the Watco Natural, and preserve the look and grain of the birch.  Admittedly, they will still look a bit rough, but that's ok, I'm not going for perfection on these....it's not really possible (for me).  I have not started the black painted one, still have quite a bit to do on the first one.

IMG_1441 (Large).JPG

IMG_1442 (Large).JPG

IMG_1445 (Large).JPG

IMG_1450 (Large).JPG

IMG_1446 (Large).JPG

IMG_1447 (Large).JPG

IMG_1449 (Large).JPG

IMG_1453 (Large).JPG

IMG_1454 (Large).JPG

IMG_1455 (Large).JPG

great job - is this the same speaker that was unpainted - wow - what tools are you using for this - looks great -

• Like 1

great job - is this the same speaker that was unpainted - wow - what tools are you using for this - looks great -

So far I'm using a quarter sheet finishing sander with good 120 grit paper.  Being really careful with this and then hand sanding the edges where the veneer meets.  

• Like 1

The paint on the decorators is so thick I hit it with the belt sander just to make it a little easier

Careful with the belt sander.  You'd be safer with an orbital and 100 grit pads.

Looks great Jim!  Also looks like a lot of work.  Glad you're bringing them back.

• Like 1

The paint on the decorators is so thick I hit it with the belt sander just to make it a little easier

Careful with the belt sander.  You'd be safer with an orbital and 100 grit pads.

Looks great Jim!  Also looks like a lot of work.  Glad you're bringing them back.

I get impatient Carl, but in the long run slow is the way to go

Mark

• Like 1

I get impatient Carl, but in the long run slow is the way to go

There's nothing slow about an orbital with 100 grit.  You have more control and the edges won't dig in and make ruts like a belt sander.  You still have to be careful and keep it moving.  Don't stay in one spot too long or you can certainly make a low spot before you know it.

• Like 1

The people who sold those to you are going to crap when they see how nice you made them. 

The folks that sold them to me (for $50.00 both!), know me, and know that I like doing this.  I'm far from an accomplished woodworker.  Even though I'm putting in a lot of time and labor, and a few bucks into them, more than likely they will end up as my garage speakers....However, that doesn't mean they won't look as nice as I can possibly make them.  I just don't have any more room in the cave or elsewhere to put them, but we'll see....if they turn out really good, they might displace the Cornwalls....uh oh....

Had to run a bunch of errands this morning, so it's back to work.  Going to tackle the nasty semi-black painted one tomorrow most likely. 

• Like 1

Great work. Would have been fun as Schu mentioned above to keep them looking the same, but refurbished the internals. They would have been real sleepers. Love the old cars that are left with their patina and have all new chassis and drivetrain.

Enjoy your great find! What are you going to drive them with?

Edited by agile1966